Lake Sibaya - what could have been

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

shark_za

So my plan was to take the KDX down to Sodwana, dive every morning and ride ride ride every afternoon till I got sick of it.
And then a little twist in the road at De Wildt made a big twist in my plans and hit me for 6. Cant really ride offroad with a broken collarbone!

I was going to ride with a friend of mine I made down there previosly, Erik. He is a master of sand riding and runs a few businesses down there. Painball, quad hire etc. Basically has a jol doing things he likes.

I could not take it anymore and gave into the call of the dirt, rented a semi auto kwat and hit the trails with Erik. Riding one handed was hectic, but I did ok.

We rode out to Sibaya and had a drink or two, spotting crocs and hippo.

Birdlife
DSC02698.jpg

Hippo
DSC02722.jpg

I wont include any pics of the kwats, but will show one or two of Eriks cool DRZ400 for DD's sake. The bike is fitted with Dunlop 606's on the rear and man this is one serious knobbly, road legal nogal. Makes TKC80's look definaly road bike material.

DSC02702.jpg

DSC02733.jpg

At one stage I was approached by this young bull, he was dead against me riding there and challenged me head on, it was so cute to see this little fella jumping and stomping like a bull right outta pamplona every time I rode towards him and took his challenge.

DSC02720.jpg

The area around lake Sibaya is a maze of criss cross sand paths like this, cant wait to get back there in a few months with a healthy body and a bike full of juice!

DSC02738.jpg

At least I managed to get out there and see the area again, next time I will enjoy it that much more on both the KDX and KLR.
I will use the KLR to explore the many dirt roads linking the rural villages out there, there are hundereds of km's of track out there stretching north to Kosi , west to Swaziland and south to Hluhluwe.