Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DRZ400E Help  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Hankeeb

• Bike: AJS (all models)
DRZ400E Help
« on: September 22, 2016, 07:36:49 am »
Hi Guys,

So yesterday I had an issue with my little DRZ400E.  Let me explain it nicely in chronological order and maybe someone would be able to help.

Condition and history:
1.  Oil, Oil Filter and Airfilter has been replaced 2 months ago.
2.  Spark plug was replaced 1 month ago from a CR7E to a CR8E
3.  Odo reads 27 ***km with wheel size compensation set at 92%, recently reset it to 100% after I found out that my fuel consumption was bad due to wrong distance on trip meter.

Problems and symptoms:
1.  Started my bike at work, choke out, tap on, hand off throttle and fired up.
2.  Drove about 300 meters in between traffic to a circle, while waiting the she just dies.
3.  Check if I opened the tap correctly, yes I did, check my fuel, yes full tank.  Clutch in, start her again.  She runs for about 30 seconds and then just dies again.
4.  Thought that if I start and drive she would sort herself out.  Start up again and drive, 1st, 2nd, 3d...dies.  Clutch in and freewheel to the side of the road.
5.  Try starting again, but she sounds flooded, does not want to start.  Cal my fiance to collect me with the bakkie.
6.  Waiting a bit and decided to start her again.  After a looooooooong start she takes.  Sputters and back fires a bit and runs...once again for 30 seconds or so and dies.
7.  Wait for fiance.  While waiting I pop the choke back in and just for the fun of it try to start het again.  She takes first time...and idles.  Thought I will let her idle and see how long she will idle expecting 30sec or so.
8.  She keeps on idling, for 4 min or so until fiance arrives.  I tell her I am going to try and drive it home(only 3km)  I go and voila, she runs and keeps on running.  Got home safely and everything felt normal.

So what could this be?  Any help please?

Oh and anyone in Stellenbosch/Somerset West area who I can take it to to check valve clearances, and tune carbs.

Offline Bappas

Re: DRZ400E Help
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 08:04:24 am »
No need to change from the stock CR7E plug on your engine. Going colder when un needed will foul the plug.

FROM SUZUKI CENTRAL AS I THOUGHT!!
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers...What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"

Offline Hankeeb

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 08:19:44 am »
No need to change from the stock CR7E plug on your engine. Going colder when un needed will foul the plug.

FROM SUZUKI CENTRAL AS I THOUGHT!!

But according to the WS Manual it needs to be an CR8E plug.  If this is the problem why is it only playing up now after a month of riding?

PS the CR8E made the bike feel much better than the CR7E.

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 10:24:28 am »
CR8E is correct don't use anything else.

Your problem lies most lilely within the carb either dirt or water in the fuel.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Hankeeb

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 10:31:14 am »
CR8E is correct don't use anything else.

Your problem lies most lilely within the carb either dirt or water in the fuel.

That is what I thought too since I have experienced a dirty filter before and it felt very much the same as this.
I am thinking of checking my petcock, apparently it has a little filter inside the tank that needs to be cleaned from time to time.  True?

However someone else said that valve clearance might need to be checked soon.

Offline Buff

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 10:32:54 am »
Did you push the choke back in again?  :peepwall:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Hankeeb

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 10:34:50 am »
Did you push the choke back in again?  :peepwall:

Yeah like I said, the last time I started it while I was waiting the choke was in and then it kept on running.

Offline Buff

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 10:47:11 am »
In the beginning, where you actually riding the bike with the choke out?

Normally you will only need the choke out for the first few seconds of starting the bike. Push the choke in as soon as the bike can idle without needing the choke. It's very seldom necessary to ride a bike with the choke out at all, unless it's really cold.
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Hankeeb

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 10:50:46 am »

Normally you will only need the choke out for the first few seconds of starting the bike. Push the choke in as soon as the bike can idle without needing the choke. It's very seldom necessary to ride a bike with the choke out at all, unless it's really cold.

Yeah I usually ride it with the choke out for the first minute or two.  It dies if I don't.  Once it is hot the choke is in.  Only on cold mornings do I ride with the choke out for longer.

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 09:52:43 am »

Yeah I usually ride it with the choke out for the first minute or two.  It dies if I don't.  Once it is hot the choke is in.  Only on cold mornings do I ride with the choke out for longer.

Running lean.

The Suzuki DRZ400 and DR6590SE have a fuel strainer on the fuel tap inside the tank and a very fine mesh filter which is hiding inside the fuel manifold of the carburettor.
The filter inside the fuel manifold sometimes gives trouble simply because many owners and mechanics simply don't know it's there and never clean it. You have to remove the fuel hose from the carburettor and then carefully pry the filter out of the manifold. Back wash it with carb cleaner spray and put it back in. You will rarely find any dirt as long as you fill up in civilised places and from a pump at a petrol station.
Different story after filling up from drums in the budus.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Hankeeb

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 10:00:17 am »
Thanks for the info.

Will have a look at it and clean it.

Offline Hankeeb

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 03:52:39 pm »
So late last week I decide to start the DRZ up again and give it a drive to work again, just to see if I would push her home.

Started up on the second swing.  Idle was fine, got to work fine.  Start her up at work in the afternoon and drove her home just fine.  No problems!

No I am even more unsure on what was wrong....

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 04:48:55 pm »
Some years ago I had a similar problem on a DRZ, it was the Reed valve, not cheap either
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline Hankeeb

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 06:14:29 pm »
Some years ago I had a similar problem on a DRZ, it was the Reed valve, not cheap either

Reed valve on a DRZ400?

4t?

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 07:17:41 pm »

Reed valve on a DRZ400?

4t?

Maybe not the right term, but something similar in the carb
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline Hankeeb

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 07:21:44 pm »

Reed valve on a DRZ400?

4t?

Maybe not the right term, but something similar in the carb

I know the carb has a diaphragm in that is kinda similar to a reed valve. So I guess I kinda understand what you mean.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 10:20:27 pm »
Either dirt was blocking the jet or the float level was off. I would undo and drain the carb bowl first before stripping the carb for a good clean. If it was valves it would battle to start from the get go.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline madmax

• Bike: Rotax (all models)
  • I may be MAD but it MAX no difference
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 11:38:18 am »
I have had similar issues with my drz ...all seems (in my case anyway) to have boiled down to riding with choke out once bike warmed up.... too much air ? I have got the airbox mod so...
fornicate the proletariat

Offline Hankeeb

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 12:23:56 pm »
I have had similar issues with my drz ...all seems (in my case anyway) to have boiled down to riding with choke out once bike warmed up.... too much air ? I have got the airbox mod so...

Well since then I have not yet had the same problem.  So I suspect it might be dirty fuel or water in the fuel.

But lately the bike struggles to start in the mornings.  I have to swing it for about 30 seconds before it take with the choke out.

But in the afternoon after the bike has been standing in the basement at work it starts first time.

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 12:55:40 pm »

Well since then I have not yet had the same problem.  So I suspect it might be dirty fuel or water in the fuel.

But lately the bike struggles to start in the mornings.  I have to swing it for about 30 seconds before it take with the choke out.

But in the afternoon after the bike has been standing in the basement at work it starts first time.

Check valve clearances.
Especially if there is any indication of the bike running lean.
DRZ's love to knock when running lean, hammering valves.