DRZ400E Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hankeeb

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hi Guys,

So yesterday I had an issue with my little DRZ400E.  Let me explain it nicely in chronological order and maybe someone would be able to help.

Condition and history:
1.  Oil, Oil Filter and Airfilter has been replaced 2 months ago.
2.  Spark plug was replaced 1 month ago from a CR7E to a CR8E
3.  Odo reads 27 ***km with wheel size compensation set at 92%, recently reset it to 100% after I found out that my fuel consumption was bad due to wrong distance on trip meter.

Problems and symptoms:
1.  Started my bike at work, choke out, tap on, hand off throttle and fired up.
2.  Drove about 300 meters in between traffic to a circle, while waiting the she just dies.
3.  Check if I opened the tap correctly, yes I did, check my fuel, yes full tank.  Clutch in, start her again.  She runs for about 30 seconds and then just dies again.
4.  Thought that if I start and drive she would sort herself out.  Start up again and drive, 1st, 2nd, 3d...dies.  Clutch in and freewheel to the side of the road.
5.  Try starting again, but she sounds flooded, does not want to start.  Cal my fiance to collect me with the bakkie.
6.  Waiting a bit and decided to start her again.  After a looooooooong start she takes.  Sputters and back fires a bit and runs...once again for 30 seconds or so and dies.
7.  Wait for fiance.  While waiting I pop the choke back in and just for the fun of it try to start het again.  She takes first time...and idles.  Thought I will let her idle and see how long she will idle expecting 30sec or so.
8.  She keeps on idling, for 4 min or so until fiance arrives.  I tell her I am going to try and drive it home(only 3km)  I go and voila, she runs and keeps on running.  Got home safely and everything felt normal.

So what could this be?  Any help please?

Oh and anyone in Stellenbosch/Somerset West area who I can take it to to check valve clearances, and tune carbs.