Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Roof of Africa 2016  (Read 12034 times)

Offline Rossdog

Re: Roof of Africa 2016
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 01:18:43 pm »
Trevor, do a search, Michiel posted a really good report on last year's Roof. You'll enjoy it.
'69 Model.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2016, 06:53:09 pm »
 :confused1: Lurking here  :sip:  ..please keep it coming :thumleft:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2016, 07:06:59 pm »
The story from 2015 - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=185176.0

If you don't like reading I also made a video:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dcBFx1GOdBQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dcBFx1GOdBQ</a>

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 09:31:06 pm »
Don't know if you are aware of this but 311 is a lucky number. It brought me plain sailing.  :thumleft:

Wow.. Truly blessed man .. Looking forward to a good roof this year. 2014 silver didn't help me either.
Please share some of your stories, pre roof practice... Hope you training hard for silver.

Best of luck Michiel

Thanks, you too. It is going to be memorable for sure.

Having only done one Roof so far I probably shouldn't pass myself as someone who knows a lot about it.
It is true though that I have been privileged to rub shoulders with some icons in the sport. William Gillit once
told me the sport of Extreme Enduro not only keeps the kids out of trouble and busy with something that builds
character but it also teaches them "vasbyt". Mike Glover at the end of a long day in the saddle and still no end
in sight whilst a thunderstorm was brewing over the high mountains commented that "Lesotho is just relentless!".

If I could then offer any advice to someone that hasn't yet been so lucky as to participate in the Roof of Africa
I would say: You got to go into it with some "vasbyt" because "Lesotho is just relentless". Expect some "character
building" too.

I'm one of those people who just despise exercise. I can work like an ant but don't ask me to gym or run for exercise.
I've always felt that I'd rather put the energy into doing some constructive tangible work than to just exercise away.
Therefore I am quite unfit. In that case the best way I recon one can prepare for the Roof is to merely ride your bike
in similar conditions as much as possible. Last year I participated in The Impi and it was by far the best Roof prep you
could do. The Impi is just about exactly the same idea as The Roof only in an different area. This year I had to cancel
at literally the last minute with great disappointment and haven't done as much general riding as last year in any case.
So I'm going into it with little preparation. With fitness, recent practice and special skills out of the basket I'm wondering
what is left to work with.

I certainly do have the right tool for the job! David has been very good and reliable on-top of being tailored for the worst
Lesotho can throw at you. Choose your bike carefully because you will have to become one with it.

For anyone in my position (unfit and unprepared with no superhero skills), and I'm speaking to myself as well, I'd say you got to look at it like this:

Approach each days route with curiosity as to where it will take you and what the next valley will look like.
Enjoy the breathtaking beauty of The Mountain Kingdom! If you're just riding to get to the end it will be never-ending HELL!

Be smooth and easy. Keep a manageable rhythm even if it is on the slow side. I would advise against trying to go fast and
then messing up by crashing and getting hurt or breaking the bike. Riding sustainably will give you 3 days of the best experience
in your life regardless if you finish the route set out by the organizers. Racing completely out of your abilities will send you home
or to the hospital prematurely.

Be a good sportsman. Don't throw your toys out of the cot if things doesn't go the way you want them. Just be lekker and let the
spirit of Lesotho and its people inspire you along with the magic of the spectators supporting you.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 09:56:12 pm by Michiel »

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2016, 09:46:31 am »
THose are extremely wise words Michiel, thank you. :thumleft:

I hope you dont mind if I post some them over to the Amageza thread.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Jayman

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • In Doubt go FLAT out!
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2016, 07:14:01 am »
Fuel and service points out Boys.

Offline Sithe

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • gewig versplasing
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2016, 03:07:12 pm »
All the best fellows ... hopefully we will see you flying past ... we will be there supporting and keeping hydrated  :bar: ... just shout if you need a hand or a push

The guys doing it on four strokes ... eish  >:D :dousing: :lol8:
I operate at a level supreme to the devil

Offline Jayman

• Pack Dog
  • In Doubt go FLAT out!
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2016, 03:24:19 pm »
All the best fellows ... hopefully we will see you flying past ... we will be there supporting and keeping hydrated  :bar: ... just shout if you need a hand or a push

I am one of those guys on the 4 strokes..   :thumleft:

Offline Sithe

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • gewig versplasing
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2016, 08:10:39 am »

As if the race is not hard enough ... at least if it's a 250 4 stroke ?
I operate at a level supreme to the devil

Offline Jayman

• Pack Dog
  • In Doubt go FLAT out!
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2016, 09:06:03 am »

As if the race is not hard enough ... at least if it's a 250 4 stroke ?
[/quote]

Proudly on a Blue machine, WR250F

Offline BIGMAC

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • KTM 1290 R the Ultimate Weapon
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2016, 07:39:10 am »
Please can someone advise me as to where I can get a map indicating the round the houses route? Also where is the best place to watch the round the houses? We will be on adventure bikes so we can access most spots. Also any idea if the route will be in the Ramabantha area on the Friday?? The assistance will be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2016, 03:23:54 pm »
Bigmac,  find attached the Round the houses route. This was the route for the last few years and would most probably be the same one this year. It  basically runs around the golf course right in the centre of Maseru. Any place around the route is a good viewpoint but the start/finish arena is probably the best place.

Also find attached a map of my suggested route from Ramabanta to the start/finish point at Bushmens, it includes an awesome gravel section folowing the river. Best would be to go to the start/finish point at around 6am (leave Ramabanta around 5am) to watch the start and then again in the afternoon to watch the guys coming in for the finish. The route will most probably be between Bushmens and Ramabanta but the spectator viewpoints will only be made available in about 2 weeks time. 

You can download the routes at the bottom of this page. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 03:27:09 pm by Losper »
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline BIGMAC

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • KTM 1290 R the Ultimate Weapon
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2016, 04:23:57 pm »
Thanks Losper really appreciate it.

Offline Tman21

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Ducati Multistrada / Enduro
  • The I was like braaaap!
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2016, 04:40:07 pm »
Gold Spectator class in 2016
Perhaps a Gold in 2017 or 18.
Stroom op!

Offline billy-joe

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2016, 07:51:36 am »
Howsit guys.  I would love to do the roof one day even if it was a bronze ride and not the hectic silver and insane gold.  Just a question as to which bike, I know a lot of guys use the Ktm 300, I was just wondering why the  freeride wasn't used more? You don't need the massive power from the 300 and the FR weighs a lot less.  Any opinions out there?
-There is no road to happiness...Happiness is the road.
-One cannot drink beer all day long if you do not start early in the morning says Welsh!!

Offline Jayman

• Pack Dog
  • In Doubt go FLAT out!
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2016, 09:05:33 am »
Hi Billy

Weapon of choice for most guys or would say 90 % of the field is KTM's , most is 300's. On the freeride, the suspension is very weak and needs upgrading and the brakes is from a 85 .  Limited fuel range. Would go for the 250 .. Kirsten rode one in 2014 and finished silver on it.   Good luck with that roof dream

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2016, 12:11:12 pm »
Remember the Roof is not just tech, tech bits are connected by fast open sections.

Offline Tman21

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Ducati Multistrada / Enduro
  • The I was like braaaap!
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2016, 01:32:25 pm »
Correct, in 2014 Kirsten and I rode together for at least 5-6hrs over the weekend.  Freeride was good, it was a very technical roof and not so much distance (+-130 a day)
Last year after the race when chatting to her she had wished she used her 200 instead "If I only knew its gonna be an offroad" :imaposer: (170km on the Sat)

But yes, speed suspension and brakes are not so hot if you weigh anything more than 60KG.  Im a big boy 90+-2.5KG and I raced a 200 the entire 2014 season.  You sacrifice speed and excitement for the light and nimble handling and down hills are a dream.  BUT it sucks at anything else than technical if you gear it correct and you get punished every single time you are in the wrong gear!

I have owned 5x 300 2006-2014 models and my weapon of choice if I attempt gold in 17 or 18 will be a 250 2T,  its a well balanced bike!  My personal preference.
Stroom op!

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2016, 01:40:21 pm »
Correct, in 2014 Kirsten and I rode together for at least 5-6hrs over the weekend.  Freeride was good, it was a very technical roof and not so much distance (+-130 a day)
Last year after the race when chatting to her she had wished she used her 200 instead "If I only knew its gonna be an offroad" :imaposer: (170km on the Sat)

But yes, speed suspension and brakes are not so hot if you weigh anything more than 60KG.  Im a big boy 90+-2.5KG and I raced a 200 the entire 2014 season.  You sacrifice speed and excitement for the light and nimble handling and down hills are a dream.  BUT it sucks at anything else than technical if you gear it correct and you get punished every single time you are in the wrong gear!

I have owned 5x 300 2006-2014 models and my weapon of choice if I attempt gold in 17 or 18 will be a 250 2T,  its a well balanced bike!  My personal preference.

Doing bronze next year and will attempt it on a 350. Will in future again go back to a 2T and only then give silver a go. Would also go 250 2T when going back to 2T

The speed and excitement is not the issue for me on the 200 or 250 4T. The fact that you kak when in the wrong gear is the deal breaker for me. The 250 and 300 2T is much more forgiving when it comes to gear selection

Offline billy-joe

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2016, 08:37:44 pm »
thnaks for the replies gents. i have ridden the 300, think it was a 2012 model and it was buttery smooth but could still kick your ass if you wound it up a bit too much.  so much low down useable torque that i am not used to on an mx 250 that i am used to  obviously different bikes but such an eye opener that you could find the traction when i was used to the rear tyre just lighting up!  i am so keen to get Ross' husaberg, just waiting for my next job to kick off so i can make an educated decision.  pretty certain a 300 is coming my way one day though.  just thought a freeride would be so much easier in the hectic terrain the roof offers.
-There is no road to happiness...Happiness is the road.
-One cannot drink beer all day long if you do not start early in the morning says Welsh!!