Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Roof of Africa 2016  (Read 12317 times)

Offline Buff

Re: Roof of Africa 2016
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2016, 10:23:46 am »
Sadly the race was somewhat of a clusterfuck and left many feeling dejected and not wanting to come back until things change. It was still great from a spectators perspective though, except on Bushmans on Fri when we were sitting there with cold beers waiting for the action to unfold and it never really happened because most riders were stuck in the bottleneck on Snakebite.
We managed to get in some great social riding, Lesotho remains an awesome place to ride your dirtbike and the leniency allowed by traffic officials over the Roof weekend is really appreciated. :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2016, 10:32:01 am »
YOH..

Ive just seen some of the stuff posted all over social media about the roof.

yowzer, it seems like there is more than a few people upset., I feel sorry for the okes who trained so hard to get there for their 1st race only to have some of that shit happen

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2016, 08:16:46 pm »
Routes not pre-run and marked by trail runners rather than riders. 
Says who?

In your face passes linked consecutively with no chance for riders and machines to cool and catch their breath at altitude.

Would you like some cheese with your wine sir?

Goal posts moved regarding riders ignoring marshals and time bars and chicken runs for finishers medals - Clerk of the Course decisions over ruled etc etc.  :-\
Seems you need a guava instead of balls to finish roof.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2016, 08:21:57 pm »
Routes not pre-run and marked by trail runners rather than riders. 
Says who?

In your face passes linked consecutively with no chance for riders and machines to cool and catch their breath at altitude.

Would you like some cheese with your wine sir?

Goal posts moved regarding riders ignoring marshals and time bars and chicken runs for finishers medals - Clerk of the Course decisions over ruled etc etc.  :-\
Seems you need a guava instead of balls to finish roof.

You obviously the fucking expert. Who you defending? Did you race? Your guava!  >:D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 08:31:16 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline trevorwb

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Warning Labels are only recommendations
« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2016, 10:34:31 pm »
Just to set the record straight for those of you that weren't there.
This was my first Roof attempt.I rode Bronze.
I paid whatever it was for my qualifier.
I paid R5-6k ( call me a liar) for my Roof entry.
I devoted a years training and bike expenses towards this event.Dont forget the kit,nutrition,training races entry fees ,traveling expenses , accommodation.....the list is quite long.
Let's start.
11am.Registration and the loading of the GPS by the officials.
Riders briefing at 8 pm.We were pushed into a large hall type room with a stage.We had to wait until probably close to 9pm for the sports minister to welcome and thank us for our support for our contribution towards tourism.So appreciative he could arrive late.There were not enough chairs for all and more than half the people sat on the floor or stood.The briefing was crap as you couldn't hear what the organizers were saying ,you kind of caught snatches every now and again of what they were saying.
The one thing I heard was that,quote"even international events experience bad bottlenecks "Also water and energy bars would be available.
Round the houses .Park the bike by 8 am and wait for my group which would be at 12.No .can that ,a water tanker took a shortcut through the course ,got stuck and new time is 12:30pm .Stand around all day watching RTH and MX freestyle tricks in between races.line up to race and eventually start by 12:45 ish as the water tanker returned and ended up getting bogged down in the same spot as before.1 citer and 3 race laps.This I enjoyed ,but my 52 rear sprocket hated the straights.
Quickly load the bike and make your way to Bushmans.
African cities have congestion.This operation takes about an hour and a half.Arive at Bushmans and there is no parking as it is a free for all for marked  pit crew and spectators.
So now we ,the bronze plebbs get to set off into the mountains for a 55 km time trial at 3pm in the arvy.Hows that for intelligence.Send the weaker riders into the mountains for a two and three quarter to  four hour ride for some.This ,just before nighttime.On this loop I break my small toe and bend my foot peg when foot peg,boot and rock collide.The foot is also a bit bruised.I battled to find my rhythm here.
Ok back to Maseru.Bike prep,dinner,kit and nutrition prep .In bed by 11 pm.
Up at 4, off to Bushmans for 7:22 start .Look for a toilet ...can't find them.Wait until 7 ,chat to Losper in the start line and then the start becomes a free for all and 5 random people are picked and sent off in groups.
Off we go .The riding was great.Came into the first unmanned refuel and the GPS track ran out because of crops or something .We were told to follow the markers.Which a group of us couldn't find and eventually we went where the crowd on the opposite hill we're pointing.Into the Pitts we went .Bronze was an unmanned stop and the fuel was right at the end on the outside of the Red Bull banner.Stop ,Find your fuel amongst the mound of fuel containers.No marshals are at hand.I asked for water and someone pointed out a 1/4 full 5litre.No cups.Grab it and glug it out the bottle.People are walking around smoking and the one person even jokes about his smoking in a refuel area.
Back on the bike and I'm flying.Settled in and confident.One little downhill section,but mainly fast lowland terrain for the next 37 kms.
I make up time and just about catch my mates going into the manned refuel.I leave the refuel just after 12 ish ,I manage to get out ahead of my mates and I'm in high spirits."See you in 3 hrs" ,I tell my crew.I race off for 1/2 to 3/4 hrs and I arive at snake pit or whatever pass.There ahead of me was a bottleneck from top to bottom.My stomach is now cramping from not finding a loo at the start so I dive off the bike and find a bush to hide behind.Lesotho bushes are not big enough for a bos k*k.I join the slow moving bottleneck and spend the rest of the afternoon going over snake pit.Oblivious to the fact that people were being stopped and turned around on the plateau below me.It wasn't overly tough ,but you had to manhandle and get assistance to get the bike over certain obstacles.This was by no means a bronze hill.I saw one well known gold rider get dragged by locals with two ropes all the way to the top.Another thing,the bronze and silver riders were giving way for gold riders.We even gave way for silver riders and there was a great camaraderie amongst riders on that hill.At the very top there was an orange privateer  chopper.If anyone knows these people pls thank them for the water they gave us.I even stashed extra water in my backpack as the light was starting to fade and I thought I would be spending the night.From here I had an anxious ride along ledges all the way to push me pass.At the top We were about 4 with one ahead about 2 contours below.I realized that this was a mother of downhills,and if I stopped darkness would catch me.I atacked the hill with everything I had.Loose rocky descents aren't easy when your body is tired.The 3 behind were resting and I lost them.I caught the one ahead and pushed on.Just before the bottom there were some evil ledges which I slid the bike down.Once at the bottom I crossed a river .I quickly changed my GPS batteries as it switched off on the way down.I suddenly realized that the light was failing.I stuck with the course for another 10 mins and just before 7 I decided to get off the track and head for the mealies in the valley below.There was no way I would have made it in the dark.I found a district road and at 7:15 pm I sent my Pitt crew a message with my location.By this stage my feet were killing me.It felt like they were going to explode.I ripped my boots ,socks and knee braces off .I think 13 hrs with braces on restricts the blood flow to your feet.( need to find a solution to this as i can't risk the knees)My crew picked me up just before 8.Loaded the bike and headed back to Maseru.I assumed I was out.Just beforevMaseru I received a message stating that I could start the next day with a time penalty and my time would be taken from my last refuel point(12:00pm).
I was pissed off .Nobody stopped us ,they left us to ride ledges with an endless drop off into the valleys below into the dark.This part I hated and for the first time that day I hated what I was doing.
On arrival back at Maseru I decided I wouldn't be riding the next day .In the morning I loaded my bike and headed home.
On a positive note .I learnt a lot.
Would I do it again? .Sure ,the riding and challenge was great.But the organizers need to buck up,or be replaced by a more professional bunch.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 10:58:19 pm by trevorwb »

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2016, 06:37:25 am »
Thanks Trevor - good to have your first hand input. As we know social media is littered with stories of this years debacle, and one rider did not return to tell their sorry tale.  :'(  Some twats may pooh-pooh it calling out those that dare speak out and that they must have balls - most have never ridden a Roof, seconded or even been there…the armchair racers. Lets hope this iconic race gets it's act together and survives - this is the last thing that big sponsors like Motul and Red Bull want and it needs them … along with proper event organisers and young blood to add perspective to the experienced toppies!  :thumleft:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline edgy

« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2016, 07:20:26 am »
Agree with Trevor all the way :thumleft: There needs to be accountability!!
Shark_ZA im sure you have a few completed Roofs under the belt hey? :pot:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Avontier

• Coitus reservatus
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2016, 07:23:58 am »
I've ridden 4 times since 2007, and spectated twice. Poor organisation has always been a part of it. You have to factor it in as one of the obstacles. The best way to counter it, is to try and be as close to the front as possible. Those at the back are used for revenue, and to  prove just how extreme the race is, and bottlenecks have proven essential in getting riders time barred.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • KTM 300
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2016, 07:35:34 am »
You are missing the points I am making.

1. There was only one fuck up.  And it changed everything. When you harp on irrelevant secondary kak it makes you sound like a whiner.
2. The other niggles were "issues" for some; nothing for others. All other issues noted are regular roof challenges, parking, Maseru traffic, chaos at self refuels. 
3. Kirsten was time barred and still got a gold medal as she ignored the marshals and rode on; some talk with the organisers and she was allowed to ride on Saturday. You don't need balls.

Offline edgy

« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2016, 07:52:08 am »
The point we are making that perhaps you are missing is that there were multiple fuck ups, fuck ups that could have dire consequenses .....being assured that there is going to be ample water at a self assisted refuel in the midday heat with 4 hours riding ahead only to arrive with a blank looking Marshall and NO water.....a niggle??? Being sent off as a bronze rider on a 4 hour time trial at 3/3:30 pm in the arvie a niggle??? These and many other niggles can in fact be life threatening!
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • KTM 300
« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2016, 08:05:50 am »
Came into the first unmanned refuel and the GPS track ran out because of crops or something

Mr Bird I assume.
What GPS unit do you use?  They provided two versions for this "cropping" problem on older GPS.
There was no real technical issue with the provided tracks, they would lead you around the planned route. 
But looking closely you get an indication of how they set the impossible almost criminal route. Nobody has ridden the whole route in one go, but saying they have only been walked is urban legend.
Other exaggerations I heard this weekend was that the top okes were choppered up the pass, a herdsman with a GPS strapped to his back walked it once, etc.
Don't know if frikken laser beams were involved.

The section down push me pass was recorded in 2010 going up. They used this track log to create the supplied one. This was slapped into the route once the direction was corrected.
Basically the person who put this all together should be sanctioned; it was a monumental fuck up.
The routes should be ridden the week or so before the event to ensure nothing has changed.  I discussed the route among mates who had ridden up push me and down snakebite in September (or did they trail run it?), they could not believe this was in the route for bronze or even silver riders like them, and this discussion was on Wednesday already.
We could see it was a fuck up, how could the organisers not see the same thing?  The only thing that made us think it would be ok is that they were going use a path parallel to the usual snakebite. (snakebite 2 if you please) maybe this was a lot easier. Down push me was always going to be hectic.

Out of my mates riding, one made it over and finished the full loop (bronze- he was a front runner and got there early), one struggled in the mountains for 3;30 and did exactly what you did; I collected him at around 18:30 near Bushmans. (Bronze mid packer who I crewed for)
Other two were "lucky" as they got the the Mokopu point and were told to go on the road. (Both silver)

Id go as far as saying that if Bronze and Silver had different routes from Mokopu to Bushmans this would have been the most successful roof ever.

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • KTM 300
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2016, 08:24:47 am »
The point we are making that perhaps you are missing is that there were multiple fuck ups, fuck ups that could have dire consequenses .....being assured that there is going to be ample water at a self assisted refuel in the midday heat with 4 hours riding ahead only to arrive with a blank looking Marshall and NO water.....a niggle??? Being sent off as a bronze rider on a 4 hour time trial at 3/3:30 pm in the arvie a niggle??? These and many other niggles can in fact be life threatening!
Ok I hear you on the promised water;
I did find it totally unacceptable when they did a collection of water at the top of Bushmans to fly to the guys on top of snakebite.

Many taped water bottles to fuel cans and there were many clean rivers on the route but this is unacceptable when they state they will provide water points.

Its the slight exaggerations that "irk" me.
I left Maseru after the 2nd last RTH. Got my guy to the start and on the track before 14:30. (assume latest is 15:00)  A tiny handful did it in 4 hours, majority 3:30. Sunset is 19:00
Tight but nothing life threatening; If Friday never happened nobody would mention it. If you were stuck out in the mountains during the time trial, you were always close to the Makhaleng road and could be fetched (tracking and cell reception)

Offline IanTheTooth

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2016, 08:42:32 am »
Shame Trevor, if anyone was race ready it was you. I called past your place yesterday to hear your story but you'd already left. You deserved to come back with a medal. How did your mates do, I didn't see their names in the results? 
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Offline edgy

« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2016, 09:39:29 am »
Fair compromise buddy :thumleft:
A dream of my 16 year old is to attempt a Bronze Roof next year, a big commitment from myself as dad and finance house as well as from Tristan who is still a small 16 year old....after checking out this years piss poor organisation I dont know so much!!! >:(
www.astonesthrow.co.za

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2016, 11:28:43 am »

Ok I hear you on the promised water;
I did find it totally unacceptable when they did a collection of water at the top of Bushmans to fly to the guys on top of snakebite.

Many taped water bottles to fuel cans and there were many clean rivers on the route but this is unacceptable when they state they will provide water points.

Its the slight exaggerations that "irk" me.
I left Maseru after the 2nd last RTH. Got my guy to the start and on the track before 14:30. (assume latest is 15:00)  A tiny handful did it in 4 hours, majority 3:30. Sunset is 19:00
Tight but nothing life threatening; If Friday never happened nobody would mention it. If you were stuck out in the mountains during the time trial, you were always close to the Makhaleng road and could be fetched (tracking and cell reception)
[/quote]

Some about turn from your initial sharky comments … :imaposer:

It is clear to most all that there was more than ONE fuckup - yes Roof participants have got used to the average RoA 'Third World' bunfight fuckups but this year there were numerous strung together that has led to a justified shit storm. I am not talking about urban legend hearsay - these are coraborated problems that if not addressed will lead to further loss of life, loss of sponsorship, loss of entrants and the slow death of the RoA while organisers that have lost the plot and are past their shelf-life try and keep it on life support! There are many of us that are passionate about the race and have ridden, supported and crewed for 10 years and more and are in agreement that this year saw unacceptable lack of logistical organisation and safety… balls and guavas aside.  >:D

PS: Yes we were even cutting water bottles off unused petrol cans to be able to hydrate riders coming in at St Ben but this was but one of the fuckups.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:31:31 am by BiG DoM »

Offline trevorwb

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Warning Labels are only recommendations
« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2016, 05:59:56 pm »
Shark I use a foretrex GPS.I was not referring to cropping of the trail .But for me ,my mates and the people around me.The trail through the gorge before my unassisted refuel vanished.The organizers said something at the briefing about going around crops and follow the marshals directions.unfortunately the briefing wasn't that informative for me.Normally by this point I would tell you to .....Im not that phased.I paid and rode and was dissatisfied with the way the event was run.Therefore I am entitled to my opinion.
Listen you are entitled to your own opinion.Im not going to argue with you.Im not going to stop riding.I would like to see the roof run better.Hopefully the organizers sit up and open there eyes to what the people want.
From here on out we should be listening to peoples comments and coming up with solutions.Im not asking for them to make it easier.I just want to be given a fair crack at it.

Offline edgy

« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2016, 08:09:15 pm »
Some brilliant news on the Roof Facebook page, they are enrolling the services of both Daryl Curtis as well as Williiam Gillit to assist with routes  :thumleft: ultimately this at least means the various routes will be ridden by actual riders! :deal:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #137 on: December 07, 2016, 08:49:29 pm »
Some brilliant news on the Roof Facebook page, they are enrolling the services of both Daryl Curtis as well as Williiam Gillit to assist with routes  :thumleft: ultimately this at least means the various routes will be ridden by actual riders! :deal:

Funny, I was having this very same conversation after Friday's mess. William Gillit's name was mentioned as someone who could grade the tracks accurately.
I remember joking with Losper that we could make ourselves available to test-run the routes beforehand. I think between the two of us we'd be able to tell a Bronze from a Gold!

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #138 on: December 07, 2016, 09:33:54 pm »
RESPONSE – ROOF OF AFRICA 2016 - VARIOUS ISSUES

With the 2016 Motul Roof of Africa being concluded and after what can only be described as one of the most intense and gruelling Roof of Africa’s ever various issues pertaining to the route have been duly noted by the Organisers.
The Organisers in conjunction with the relevant stakeholders have had numerous meetings and discussions to investigate and ascertain the exact cause of the Route Misdirection that occurred during Friday’s route. It has become apparent that an oversight by the route markers had led to the Bronze and Silver track being incorrectly marked from the top of the climb before Snakebite which did not form part of the original planned route.
The merging of the gold, silver and bronze tracks was not the cause of the problem as the original track layout provided that bronze riders would get to the climb 1 to 2 hrs ahead followed by Silver an additional 1 hr behind. By the time Gold arrived there would only be a few backmarkers on the first climb. Unfortunately with the route incorrectly going up Snakebite it caused a massive bottleneck which simply grew by the second as more riders arrived.
As can be seen by the quality, marking and selection of the route up to this point as well as the Time Trial and Saturday Tracks, it is evident that the organisers are able to plan the required level of track befitting this event. A small, but significant error unfortunately has cast a cloud over the entire event
The organising committee of the Roof has always prioritised the quality of the track, and in an effort to address this year’s issue, Mr Harris the track manager has agreed to step aside and make way for Roof veteran Darryl Curtis who will take over the task of planning, setting, testing and signing off all future tracks. William Gillitt, has also agreed to act in an advisory capacity. We believe that with this team on board future competitors can be comfortable that this year’s problems can never happen again.
As the year goes on more information about various stakeholders and service providers who have offered their services to improve the Roof 2017 will be made available.
Even though it might not seem enough the organizers offer our sincere apologies for these issues and will strive to do our best to make the 2017 Roof of Africa the best event ever seen.

Offline Buff

« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2016, 10:13:52 am »
RESPONSE – ROOF OF AFRICA 2016 - VARIOUS ISSUES

It has become apparent that an oversight by the route markers had led to the Bronze and Silver track being incorrectly marked from the top of the climb before Snakebite which did not form part of the original planned route.
The merging of the gold, silver and bronze tracks was not the cause of the problem as the original track layout provided that bronze riders would get to the climb 1 to 2 hrs ahead followed by Silver an additional 1 hr behind. By the time Gold arrived there would only be a few backmarkers on the first climb. Unfortunately with the route incorrectly going up Snakebite it caused a massive bottleneck which simply grew by the second as more riders arrived.

The part in Bold doesn't make sense to me. First they say they made a mistake with the route for Silver and Bronze going up Snakebite because of incorrect marking. Then in the very next sentence they say the original track layout would have allowed Bronze to get there first, then Silver then Gold. Which other climb are they then referring to if all 3 classes were supposed to go up it then?

Am I reading too deep into this?
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!