Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Off to see the wizard - Mozambique , Malawi , Zambia and Zimbabwe  (Read 19016 times)

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: Off to see the wizard - Mozambique , Malawi , Zambia and Zimbabwe
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2017, 06:59:17 am »
Excellent RR and pictures, Shanti.  I can't imagine being in a country where an armed convoy is necessary, what was your mindset when you learned of these convoys, or is that something you've dealt with on prior trips?

Thanks big oil and welcome to wilddogs :) , I had heard that there would be a possibility of the armed convoys prior to leaving . I guess i just accepted it as part of the journey initially - as I got closer to the first convoy there was lots of conflicting stories coming from the guest houses I stayed in etc - I took all the stories and tried to make an informed picture to base my decision on - one was backtracking a good 1000km ( back to SA and up through Zim ) or going forward - I guess I chose the experience over the wisdom somewhat but that's adventure riding   - it was a bit of a nerve wracking day but having done the convoy it made the beer late that night so much sweeter - I have dealt with corrupt policeman on the take , non existent roads , sparse fuel , reckless drivers etc but never before having to ride in an armed convoy - I guess its just another African experience - didn't detract from the fact that Africa is an amazing country to ride in  .

Thanks for the welcome and reply.  Much respect for you, those must have been some very long, hot days at slow speed.  Love the bike as well :thumleft:

Offline Goingnowherekwickly

« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2017, 10:34:19 pm »
Thanks Shanti!!

Wow, just read it all AGAIN...
Roll of honour stuff... 
You do travel the best way...
Aaah, too lekker!!

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2017, 07:50:35 am »
Damn it - all the pictures have been ransomed by photobucket - does this mean I have to find another solution to get them back onto this ride report ?? - the grabbing hands grab all they can - F##kers

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2018, 08:16:26 am »
Damn it - all the pictures have been ransomed by photobucket - does this mean I have to find another solution to get them back onto this ride report ?? - the grabbing hands grab all they can - F##kers

Fixed - wow thought I had to do this all over again - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-embedded-fix/

Offline Suzukli DL

« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2018, 09:03:00 am »
Fixed till day six. Do you have to do it for each post ?

The following users thanked this post: shanti

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2018, 12:00:02 pm »

Thanks for pointing this out - fark I give up , oh well time for another RR - better time spent than fixing this one

Offline Suzukli DL

« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2018, 12:36:19 pm »

Thanks for pointing this out - fark I give up , oh well time for another RR - better time spent than fixing this one

:thumleft: I like your thinking.

PS this was a brilliant RR