Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What is a modern day legend bike?  (Read 16163 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re:
« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2016, 04:41:52 pm »
Kx500 would require twice as many pit stops and was impossible to jet correctly for Baja

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Still took , I think, 8 Baja's in a row. Imagine they make it F.I. :eek7:

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
Re: What is a modern day legend bike?
« Reply #141 on: October 04, 2016, 06:37:40 pm »
Or even just jetted it properly  :o :o
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2016, 06:41:57 pm »
Or even just jetted it properly  :o :o

:thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Namakwalander

« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2016, 09:53:52 am »
Reading through al the posts, it is clear that more focus is put on larger capacity bikes. Which is also fine, I am not saying they are not legendary.

When reading throught the forum many of the older dogs recall the days of roaming the streets on 50cc bikes. So I would like to nominate the Honda XR125 as a legend in the smaller capacity range. Only spent a few hours on one myself, but it was the reason that I wanted to get back on a bike. I would believe that I am not the only guy to have started out on one of these and that in a few years time we would be looking back and talking about the XR125 and how cool it was to ride one. Even though it is slow and sounds like a petrol engined kitchen appliance.
Born to be Mild

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2016, 10:21:35 am »
Also like the idea of the 125xr.
They are used by a lot of school children but also older toppies to work here where I work and no highway driving is required.
I also rode one a while and liked it. Very throwable, on/off throttle (you are always gunning it as there is not much gunning to give) and low maintenance as well as reliable.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Lem

« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2016, 12:38:16 pm »
They are used by a lot of school children but also older toppies to work here where I work and no highway driving is required.
I also rode one a while and liked it. Very throwable, on/off throttle (you are always gunning it as there is not much gunning to give) and low maintenance as well as reliable.

in my area they are not used by school kids....they get seriously abused!  :thumleft: few times a week, there is a group of around 10 them in my neck of the woods riding like some kind of possessed gang of yore. All of them fitted with little bosson pipes and all being ridden by 16year olds dressed in wessies. They hop on every pavement, ride through all the open fields between neighbourhoods, just like we used to do on our 50s. Some people might complain about the noisy swarm of brommers ... but they make me smile.  :thumleft:

it's also a modern economical alternative to the farm bikes of yesteryear CTX/AG/TW/TF/TS etc which albeit tough as nails, has now become hideously expensive. My regular riding buddy Old School Biker now works on Paul Cluver farm and they have some XR125s there as well.
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2016, 01:48:09 pm »

in my area they are not used by school kids....they get seriously abused!  :thumleft: few times a week, there is a group of around 10 them in my neck of the woods riding like some kind of possessed gang of yore. All of them fitted with little bosson pipes and all being ridden by 16year olds dressed in wessies. They hop on every pavement, ride through all the open fields between neighbourhoods, just like we used to do on our 50s. Some people might complain about the noisy swarm of brommers ... but they make me smile.  :thumleft:

it's also a modern economical alternative to the farm bikes of yesteryear CTX/AG/TW/TF/TS etc which albeit tough as nails, has now become hideously expensive. My regular riding buddy Old School Biker now works on Paul Cluver farm and they have some XR125s there as well.

haha awesome.

I must say everytime I see a schoolgirl ride one I also smile...because I think that was a good father!  My daughter will definitely also be taught to ride something similar and not be on a schooter!
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2016, 09:04:15 pm »

Lovely!, and the little 4strokes are like brommers, where the old 50's used to sound like mosquitoes. :thumleft:

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #148 on: November 01, 2016, 09:50:41 am »
The Britten:

Renowned motorcycle journalist Alan Cathcart said of the bike:

"Itís an easy bike to ride, in the sense itís got a very wide power delivery, but to really get top performance, you have to ride it like a grand prix bike."

And having ridden all the superbike contenders in the world today, I can say that the Britten is the closest to a grand prix bike. Itís incredibly ironic that instead of Europe or Japan, the most sophisticated and technically advanced motorcycle in the world comes from New Zealand.

My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline jagter

« Reply #149 on: November 01, 2016, 10:13:50 am »
Legendary ugly.   :o
The Britten:

Renowned motorcycle journalist Alan Cathcart said of the bike:

"Itís an easy bike to ride, in the sense itís got a very wide power delivery, but to really get top performance, you have to ride it like a grand prix bike."

And having ridden all the superbike contenders in the world today, I can say that the Britten is the closest to a grand prix bike. Itís incredibly ironic that instead of Europe or Japan, the most sophisticated and technically advanced motorcycle in the world comes from New Zealand.

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #150 on: November 01, 2016, 10:28:06 am »
Legendary ugly.   :o

It's the pink....you need te get in touch with your feminine side...   :P

Offline Grondpaaie

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ou Ryperd
Re:
« Reply #151 on: November 01, 2016, 01:41:31 pm »
Africa Twin DCT

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
Re:
« Reply #152 on: November 01, 2016, 02:46:27 pm »
Honda 23 vs Kawasaki 10

Honda Riders, not being able to count past "many", makes them humble.

FWIW:

Honda24
Husqvarna 11
Kawasaki10
Yamaha2

Honda won more than all other manufacturers combined..
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 02:58:09 pm by Beserker »