Broken Bones, Malaria and Hand Guns. A West African Adventure.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
I am posting this RR on behalf of a friend of mine, Pat Davey. He is an Australian dude on a KTM690 and he did this amazing trip through West Africa. He is not here on Wild Dogs and is posting the RR on AdvRider. I know many dogs are not on AdvRider, so with Pat's permission I will re post here for you to read all about it. I will send Pat the link as well, so he will see your comments, maybe he will even register!

I met Pat in Zambia when we was vrot with Malaria. I took him to hospital and soon we went digging though heaps of boxes in the Zambian Customs Warehouse to find a KTM Rear Shock....we have been great friends ever since and I even managed to ride with him from Kasane to Pretoria where he joined a couple of South African friends on a Bushveld get away week-end!

Here goes:

Ok where do I start? This is about chasing adventure and one mans (Me) determination to chase a dream and not let anything get in the way of it.
First up I want to say I'm dyslexic and want to apologise for my back english. Its one of the reasons I never did this Ride Report while I was traveling.
I was chatting to friends of mine who are also inmates here on the forum Micko01 and Tan101 of Earth's End who are both riding heavily modified DR650 across Africa. Well I should say they have riden the shit out of Africa over 66000km!! I was like.... Mick the time has come to leave Africa I want to hear the story from South America . He knows I had a Facebook page where I posted pictures of my West Africa trip but I never shared the experience on here.
Well I have injured myself while off road riding in the Victorian High country and have 3 months off work and the next 6 weeks sat on a couch keeping the weight off my leg. Mick told me I need to give back to this great source of information and write up my Ride Report. So here goes Ill do my best to recount things as they happened but you need to remember I started this trip in December 2014.
The address for my facebook blog can be checked out here. This was where I let family and friends know what was happening.

https://www.facebook.com/drcanafricanadventure/

So here are a couple pictures just to get you interested.

Hope I can do the trip justice.

0001-XL.jpg

0002-XL.jpg

0003-XL.jpg

0004-XL.jpg