I found it!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kortbroek

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
So meerkatting and BMW's. I always try to form my own opinion of things and initially I thought people a but harsh in accusing the GS riders of being the meerkat kings/queens. Then I started paying attention and noticed, but it's true. Most meerkatte are indeed on BM's. So why do BMW riders stand so much? Can't be the seats, those things look comfortable enough for a brakpan bloke to swop out his cortina seat for a used GS seat. Then today I happened to click on a link, you know one of those in online articles (not the flashing girls in the page margins) and it took me to a page about BMW rider training.  This is what I saw:

https://www.roadrunner.travel/magazine/read/march-april-2008/page/40/

And then I found it. In the bit where they talk about riding positions for terrain type was this little gem:

"You sit upright with the balls of your feet on the pegs during the on-road sessions; whereas, during off-road classes you're in a standing position with the feet centered on pegs.

I finally get it. The BMW guys all buy their bikes to ride serious off road so they did the "Off Road" course only and not the "On-road" one so they never got taught how to ride sitting down. Makes sense now  :pot: