DRZ Lisencing problems! Please help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super ten

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
Recently bought a very well looked after DRZ from an outoppie, fully licensed etc. Take it for roadworthy, passed flying colours, went next day to get it reg on my name. All good, but they cant issue me with a license disc!!!
Apparently the "new system" introduced sometime in 2012, declared my E model as an off road bike. ( If had knew this beforehand, I would have come to an agreement with the outoppie to ride it on his name.) I cannot do that anymore, as the bike is on my name. How can a bike previously legal, now be illegal for road use?

Made numerous phone calls etc, everyone does not know what to do. I have to write a letter to Milnerton licensing authority( must admit, they are helpful) and state my case and see what happens.

Other info that I had found out, is drz is off road, the drz s is duel sport and the drz e is off road in America. When the e was brought in, it was fitted with roadworthy requirements like rectifier, clocks, light, indicators etc. Then it was classified as roadworthy and put on the eNATIS system.

I also went onto another blog and people gave some advice, stating that its bullshit! However, I noticed one guy mentioning that someon the WD forum managed to sort this out.

Can someone please advise on the procedure to follow, as I cannot even sell the bike( dont want to)

Deon Weyers