Losing Power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJBotha

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
This weekend I experienced for the 3rd time an abrupt losing of power while cruising at highway speeds.

I can best explain it by saying that it feels like for a second or so the engine receives no petrol.

Seems to only happen above 3000rpm and power only cuts out for a second or so before surging back,
might it be the fuel pump? Or a dirty petrol filter? Anything else like a spark plug or dirty injector?

The first time it happened was several months ago with the tank on reserve, I thought I am running out of fuel, after refueling the surging was gone.

About a month ago it happened again, on a very hot day, with about half a tank of petrol. It continued to happen a couple of times, until I made it to a petrol station, refueled and again it was gone.

Yesterday I briefly experienced it again, it only happened 5-10 times and then nothing for the rest of the time until I refueled 100km later and then continued home without a problem.

I have also never experienced this with my daily commutes.

2013 model with 26k km on the clock.

Any ideas?