Klupped by the Karoo X Challenge with Buff & Dux

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzy Muzzy

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
I didn’t hear about the Karoo X challenge until I think it was the week before when buff mentioned it to me on a ride in the Quarry. Usually when considering doing a rallye you have a checklist a mile long and then there is a 1000 things that can go wrong so its a good idea to plan early and be really well prepared, not only with regards to the bike, but physically and mentally as well.

Over the last 3 or 4 weeks ive been riding my sons CRF250X and Ive neglected the CRF450X for a while.. so when I said ok to doing the event I wasn’t 100% sure of the state of the bike but with the reassurance that Dux would be there to be lending a hand with the bikes my confidence grew and it was on..  confidence that would catch a bit of a wobble during the event..

I dropped the bike off at Dux the day before leaving him almost no time to do anything to the bike, but as long as there was fresh oil in the bike I was ok with her being ok to ride, I would have to ride her as is.
1stly  before talking about the actual event I have to give a massive shout out to Brett Parish AKA Buff for letting me tag along to this event, he had the bakkie and trailer to get us there , droe wors on arrival, basic staples like coffee and a gazebo/ ground sheet for us to relax under and for Dux to work on the bikes.. without him I am very certain that I wouldn’t have made it to the event. His help, advice and motivation before , during and after the event was greatly appreciated and made a massive difference to my result, so thanks bud.

We packed up early on Friday and by 8am everyone was in the bakkie and we were off to the Tankwa Karoo. This is a place I have ridden before on my Transalp on some of the Andy 660 rides but that was just gravel touring with a bit of speed.. I have done the old postal route and done one or 2 outrides like the Pig Fest with Dave Gous to Mof’s farm a few years ago,  other than that my riding has been contained to doing the odd 40km loop around the quarry with the lads on a Sunday morning for 2 or 3 hours with brandies following shortly afterwards. When I saw the okes that race do 4 times the distance in the same time, to say that I was a bit nervous was an understatement.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 573