Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: You Might Be a Good Rider If…  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Pavlovski

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • www.jamiezone.co.za FOR ALL YOUR WÜRTH PRODUCTS
    • www.jamiezone.co.za
You Might Be a Good Rider If…
« on: October 27, 2016, 11:37:35 am »
This is an interesting read by MOTORCYCLIST Magazine in the US.

"When asked, the majority of motorcyclists consider themselves “good” riders. The problem is that we suck at measuring our own abilities. This behavior is common enough that psych experts gave it a name. The Dunning-Kruger effect describes how average people suffer from the illusion that their ability is much greater than it really is.
To help determine whether a rider suffers from this delusion we need to define our terms. Most people say a good rider is one who displays impressive control skills on the racetrack or in the canyons, can perform a lengthy standup wheelie, or can precisely maneuver an 800-pound motorcycle within tight confines. Sure, these highly developed physical abilities deserve to be recognized, but being a good rider also requires good judgment, sharp visual skills, and effective survival strategies. The best riders also have a humble attitude that allows them to accurately evaluate their abilities....."

TO READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE, GO TO: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/you-might-be-good-motorcycle-rider-if
Currently owns: BMW R1200R & Honda CX500

Previously owned: BMW R1150GS, BMW G650GS, BMW R1150R, Suzuki SV1000, Suzuki DL650 V-strom, Hyosung GT250, BMW F800ST, BMW K1200S, Harley XL1200 Sportster Custom, SYM 125 Scooter, BMW G650 X-Country

Offline Buddy

Re: You Might Be a Good Rider If…
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 11:41:06 am »
I think a poll is needed for this one, so we can see how good the keyboard jockeys are  :peepwall:
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 11:44:09 am »
"...being a good rider also requires good judgment, sharp visual skills, and effective survival strategies. The best riders also have a humble attitude that allows them to accurately evaluate their abilities....."

Agree with that. Being able too, and having the guts to do knee scraping, stoppies and wheelies is something else. That requires skill, which I don't have, but I've survived, humbly, 40 years on a bike.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 11:46:41 am by Gérrard »
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Online Eendstop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • "I ache in places I used to play"
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 11:45:17 am »
Matter of "the longer I ride, the better I was". :ricky:

If one would ask Alfie Cox whether he is a good ride, he'll probably not say he is very good; so with many others in that class.
There is a crack in everything
that is how the light gets in
L.Cohen: Anthem

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 12:37:10 pm »
Good riding for me is not necessarily about only being fast....technical......skilled etc. Yes they all contribute, but it is about surviving TODAY'S dangers on the road so I can ride again TOMORROW and enjoy my bike...... :biggrin: :ricky:

Always something to learn and know your limits/weaknesses when riding... ( for me is impatient so need to manage that when riding as is a dangerous combination when mixed with speed)..... ;)
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline Dux

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 01:30:47 pm »
I think a poll is needed for this one, so we can see how good the keyboard jockeys are  :peepwall:

But they don't ride the keyboards now do they  ;D , but on motorcycles I classify myself as an average rider who constantly learns new things
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 01:46:59 pm »
There are way better riders than me on the road and on the dirt. If I make it home in one piece with an undamaged bike then I am a happy biker. The rest doesn't really matter.
My motto is "To ride another day" . Far too old to want to prove myself to anyone and too old to give a fuck what others think.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Lem

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 01:55:38 pm »
There are way better riders than me on the road and on the dirt. If I make it home in one piece with an undamaged bike then I am a happy biker. The rest doesn't really matter.
My motto is "To ride another day" . Far too old to want to prove myself to anyone and too old to give a fuck what others think.

+1 perfectly summed up my sentiments there  :thumleft:

You can ask the same question towards all the lifestyle hobbies participants. It's like asking "who has the most money". Anyone we perceive as the best rider we've ever ridden with will know someone who has even better skills/less fear than him/her. Anyone who you think has a lot money will know someone with more.

I just try and enjoy everything I do responsibly  :thumleft:
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 02:01:29 pm »
LOTS and LOTS of luck. Definitely someone looking out for me, even though I don't call myself religious, and a healthy fear of getting hurt.

Those are the main factors that have kept me riding for 55 years, and just maybe in all that time a little bit of skill may have developed. (And sadly, some abilities in decline  :'( )

And I like the remark about too old to have to prove anything, or to give a fuck what others think.  :3some:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:06:35 pm by jaybiker »