RR of the Tankwa XC Challenge - Buff's version

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buff

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
I’m sitting behind my dining room table typing this up and it dawned on me that I’m still on a racing pluck, I hope it lets me down gently  ::)

What a total bloody awesome weekend of bike riding presented by the Western Cape Offroad Club (WCOC) in the deep Tankwa. It lived up to everything I expected and then some.

So let’s backtrack a week and a bit… it’s Friday morning and my regular racing buds are all way doing other things and I figure I’d better take a mechanic with to assist me. One email to Dux and it was game on, he and his daughter needed a long weekend break and they’d love to join me.

Then Sunday after our regular Quarry ride we’re quenching our thirst at the Barrel Pub and I mention to Muzz that there’s this awesome XC type event coming up and he should join me. Low and behold, later the day I get a whatsapp “I’m in”. Happy days, a small team has formed.

So during the week the KTM 690 had new set of Dunlop D908 Dessert Rally rubber fitted at Droomers Yamaha (a tire decision that would come back and haunt me) and was dropped off at Dux at Motoworx to race prep i.e. remove all the road worthy stuff that could break.
After frantic 4 days of getting stuff together we hit the road to the Tankwa bang on time Friday morning, destination Race Control, 190km’s other side of Ceres in the middle of nowhere. We needed to be there any time before 1pm as I had to register and race the 32km Time Trail later that afternoon.

Attachments

• DestinationTankwa.JPG
    DestinationTankwa.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 637