Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Pipe car conversion - rebuild to MAD road RAD!  (Read 12488 times)

Offline seankriel

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • I'm Living it!
    • View Profile
Re: Pipe car conversion - rebuild to MAD road RAD!
« Reply #180 on: September 08, 2017, 06:15:02 am »
Bargain

Bargain - for real!! All that for R1500.00. If you look hard enough you will find a steal... some people out there are charging R3500.00 for just the top... insane!
It's not what you know and it's not who you know. It's what you know about who you know.

Offline seankriel

• I'm Living it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 08, 2017, 07:17:38 am »
Ok - so once again I am in 2 minds here....

Eagerness (my gat jik) wants me to strip the spare motor and start the assembly just as is but I know it's the wrong way to rebuild!

The Head MUST go in so I will do that once I am back on the 19th after Rallye Badlands.

Do I take the nuts and bolts for electroplating?
Do I take the spare flywheel and machine it slightly lighter than standard? ( I have a 3rd spare as well) I think I took too much off the original flywheel... the last time I drove around, if I change from 3rd to 4th below 100km/h I had no power... when will I ever then use 5th gear.... the donor car weight was 690kg... the Pipe car weight is 360kg.... The rev's were already high and this unbalanced 3 cylinder block thing is biting me.... no High rev's?
Do I spend the bucks to get the crank balanced? Pistons are already pressed on the con-rods... Maybe I should as I'm changing the fly wheel again.... grrrr...
I still have to get the carburetor sorted, I think that is a must (like the Head)

Time - Money and gat jik - those are the obstacles...
It's not what you know and it's not who you know. It's what you know about who you know.

Offline seankriel

• I'm Living it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2017, 01:30:45 pm »
Right, top has been stripped up to where my tools allow me... all parts now soaking in Prepsol.

Sent from my S30 using Tapatalk

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2017, 07:26:03 pm »
Probably no chance of finding an old 3 cylinder turbo engine off a old Charade?

Offline Klein Torkar

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2017, 09:28:17 pm »
There is these guys - SUMP think Springbok Used Motor Spares something in Springs  that import used engines - dont know if they still operate  - maybe give them a ring ?
Drove past them a while back still going

Offline seankriel

• I'm Living it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 10, 2017, 07:24:59 am »
Probably no chance of finding an old 3 cylinder turbo engine off a old Charade?
I searched around for a turbo engine but no luck.... but then again... I am building a drive around pipe car not a dragster.. lol

Offline seankriel

• I'm Living it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2017, 07:26:13 am »
There is these guys - SUMP think Springbok Used Motor Spares something in Springs  that import used engines - dont know if they still operate  - maybe give them a ring ?
Drove past them a while back still going
I spoke to SUMP 2 weeks ago and no luck... newer models yes bit not my old model...

Offline seankriel

• I'm Living it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 11, 2017, 07:25:35 pm »
And the TOP is finally in!!

My budget took it's sweet time to allow the next step but life is like that.

I have spent a lot of time researching all the possibilities and what the extra modifications would do and have come to the conclusion that nothing more I do will make the motor better. I was going to port the top and get the valves cut/polished etc but the amount of gain on this small motor does not justify the cost of doing more. I even looked at a adjustable cam.....

My second flywheel has been machined 6mm (not 12mm like the first one) lighter so that should give me the power I need/want.

I will get the engine building stand tomorrow and start the sub assembly this weekend under the watchful eye and directions of master Alex.

Photo's and build problems - oops solutions - will be next!!!

Offline Namakwalander

• Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 12, 2017, 06:41:48 am »
And the TOP is finally in!!

My budget took it's sweet time to allow the next step but life is like that.

I have spent a lot of time researching all the possibilities and what the extra modifications would do and have come to the conclusion that nothing more I do will make the motor better. I was going to port the top and get the valves cut/polished etc but the amount of gain on this small motor does not justify the cost of doing more. I even looked at a adjustable cam.....

My second flywheel has been machined 6mm (not 12mm like the first one) lighter so that should give me the power I need/want.

I will get the engine building stand tomorrow and start the sub assembly this weekend under the watchful eye and directions of master Alex.

Photo's and build problems - oops solutions - will be next!!!

Lekker Sean

Looking forward to your progress, even if it is slow  :thumleft:

Offline Crab

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2017, 12:26:32 pm »
Cutting the flywheel thinner will not provide more power. What you are doing is reducing the mass and therefore the inertia. The result is that the engine will rev up quicker.
Look for a shooting star and see Lynda's trail and remember all the great places you shared with her,she will never forget what she shared with you and will show you that in every starry night .

Offline seankriel

• I'm Living it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 12, 2017, 06:10:44 pm »
Cutting the flywheel thinner will not provide more power. What you are doing is reducing the mass and therefore the inertia. The result is that the engine will rev up quicker.

Jip, cutting the flywheel does not increase power, but having a lighter flywheel with stage 3 pistons will make a BIG difference... The donor car weight was 690kg... the pipe car weight is 260kg... should be Plenty power to weight ratio..

Offline seankriel

• I'm Living it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 20, 2017, 02:49:03 pm »
Right!!!

I have all my parts back!!

The engine is on a stand - borrowed from my master mechanic who is missing in action - cycling in Windhoek... Grrrrr

I picked up the flywheel and it's  7kg lighter than the original - I still have a spare if this becomes a rev issue....

I picked up the top - finally pressure tested and put together.... NOW it is building time, but I am not expert enough to do it myself. The doctor booked me off 10  days without Brandy and this is driving me insane as I just want to start the rebuild but ...... I need that master mechanic to confirm what I do is correct. I don't want to do it again!!

Soon soon the build will begin.... Lol.

Online BOER!

• is 'n GS neersletterende
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • What's Updog?
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 20, 2017, 04:13:30 pm »
Nice!!

Roer jou.  Of  jaag daai meccie aan dat hy vinniger klaar trap.
My hart kom affie plaas, Waar die Wind en die Son en die Stilte my speelmaats was.

Everybody falls off. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.