Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Heated grip repair  (Read 4094 times)

Offline johanp

Heated grip repair
« on: November 01, 2016, 07:18:57 am »
My left hand side heated grip isn't working and after reading some tutorials I've decided to give it a try but in my case it wasn't a loose wire so no luck there. Bought a second hand set and same story - left hand side working. Plugged the RHS into the left and that's working so it's not a wiring issue.

Long story short, I'm not paying BMW R1500 for a new one so I've ordered a DIY kit for about 70 bucks (for the element only) and will get a non heated 650 grip. I'll update this thread with progress.

http://www.tomtop.com/gloves-1682/p-k3251.html

BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Online Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
Re: Heated grip repair
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 08:33:15 am »
 :sip: :sip: :sip:
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 08:33:44 am »
Sub. Would like to know how well it works

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline AJBotha

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 08:51:27 am »
Did you cut and peel back the rubber on your original grip and reflowed the solder like suggested?
Do you know how to use a mutlimeter to measure the resistance of the original grip after unplugging it from the bike?
I have successfully repaired my right hand side heater.

Offline johanp

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 08:53:42 am »
Did you cut and peel back the rubber on your original grip and reflowed the solder like suggested?
Do you know how to use a mutlimeter to measure the resistance of the original grip after unplugging it from the bike?
Yes and yes. The solder seemed to be fine and I have tested the resistance - it's properly dead.
The 2nd hand grips I've bought is a different story, it's got damage to the element. At least I've got a spare, working right hand side now.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline AJBotha

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 09:00:51 am »
Yes and yes. The solder seemed to be fine and I have tested the resistance - it's properly dead.
The 2nd hand grips I've bought is a different story, it's got damage to the element. At least I've got a spare, working right hand side now.
If you can get one of them to me I will probably be able to repair if for you?
Alternatively, if I was you, I would use those elements you bought and wire them into the existing grips so that you still have the 50%/100% heaters controlled by the handlebar button rather than mounting the external switch.

Offline johanp

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 09:05:30 am »
If you can get one of them to me I will probably be able to repair if for you?
Alternatively, if I was you, I would use those elements you bought and wire them into the existing grips so that you still have the 50%/100% heaters controlled by the handlebar button rather than mounting the external switch.
Thanks, that is exactly the plan. I've only bought the kit for the elements and will be using the original grip "base" and wiring. Or that's the plan at least.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline Stofpadryer

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 12:57:26 pm »
Did you successfully completed the replacement?  My bike's lefthand grip heater grip is also dead and I've also decided against a R1300+ quote to have it repaired!
Would love to get feedback & tips from you on this option.

Offline johanp

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 02:34:08 pm »
STILL waiting for my stuff from China. With any luck it'll be here before winter.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline johanp

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 07:03:26 pm »
So I have finally received my kit in the post. It comes with everything you need, even insulation tape.

1)First step was to rip the original heating element off and undo the soldering
2)Then I cut the knoblies off that was used to hold the old element in place and smoothed it out with sanding paper.
3)Soldered the new element onto the onto the grip
4)Secured the element to teh grip with a piece of tape and rolled it up as tight as I could and then secured it again with tape.

I have tested it on the bike and it's working like a charm. It heats up within seconds.

Final step would be to fit a new grip but I'm a bit stuck since I don't' have one yet. Does anybody know which specific grip from BMW would fit? A part number would be even better. :)
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline Moondog

• AKA : Tony
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 03:38:23 pm »
I don't remember where I saw it, but recall that there is an OEM grip for the 1100GS or 1150GS that was not heated that fitted. Sorry that I cant be more specific. I do recall that it was not at all expensive.
Life is tough - get a helmet!

Offline johanp

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 03:42:38 pm »
I don't remember where I saw it, but recall that there is an OEM grip for the 1100GS or 1150GS that was not heated that fitted. Sorry that I cant be more specific. I do recall that it was not at all expensive.
Thanks, no worries. I got an older F650GS grip from BMW but it was too thick with the Grip Puppies. Ended up getting an even cheaper solution from Suzuki Toy Store - throttle side superbike grip. R120.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline Moondog

• AKA : Tony
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 03:50:40 pm »
Thanks, no worries. I got an older F650GS grip from BMW but it was too thick with the Grip Puppies. Ended up getting an even cheaper solution from Suzuki Toy Store - throttle side superbike grip. R120.

:thumleft:
Life is tough - get a helmet!

Offline alouette3

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 12:57:33 pm »
I've just ordered one of those DIY sets to fix my F800 grips. Also need to figure out what replacement grips I'm going to use. I know the BMW part will cost an arm and a leg

Offline johanp

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 01:07:50 pm »
I've just ordered one of those DIY sets to fix my F800 grips. Also need to figure out what replacement grips I'm going to use. I know the BMW part will cost an arm and a leg

Cool, so far the superbike grip with grip puppy is working great.
When fitting, just make sure there is enough wiggle room for the wires, I've already broken one off so the element needs to be fitted supper tight so it does not twist over time
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 01:10:59 pm »
I want to try fix mine too, but also not sure what grips to replace the originals with
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline johanp

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 01:15:22 pm »
I want to try fix mine too, but also not sure what grips to replace the originals with
Pretty much any RHS superbike grip will fit.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 01:18:59 pm »
Pretty much any RHS superbike grip will fit.

And the LHS?

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline johanp

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 01:21:51 pm »
You use the RHS superbike grip on the LHS of the GS because the hole is slightly bigger.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 01:35:56 pm »
You use the RHS superbike grip on the LHS of the GS because the hole is slightly bigger.

Ah but what then of the throttle (RHS) side? Thats bigger no?

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key