Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yamaha T7 - No longer a Concept  (Read 247973 times)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Yamaha T7 Concept
« Reply #1640 on: April 19, 2020, 08:54:46 am »
in the vid

did the guy not modify that shock to have less bottoming resistance (at 34min) ? bottoming his modded suspension hard, wouldnt that break sometin now?
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #1641 on: April 19, 2020, 08:57:26 am »
in the vid

did the guy not modify that shock to have less bottoming resistance (at 34min) ? bottoming his modded suspension hard, wouldnt that break sometin now?

Any bike of that weight will constantly bottom out, ridden like that, even with modded suspension.

You'll have to give it Jeep Wagoneer springs not to.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #1642 on: April 19, 2020, 02:24:17 pm »
in the vid

Any bike of that weight will constantly bottom out, ridden like that, even with modded suspension.

I have revalve and progressive springs on my 1190. In that vid there isn't much reason to bottom out.

But anyhow, wrt my question? Didn't look like a good idea to me

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #1643 on: April 19, 2020, 02:26:05 pm »
in the vid

I have revalve and progressive springs on my 1190. In that vid there isn't much reason to bottom out.

But anyhow, wrt my question? Didn't look like a good idea to me

Shocks are designed with stoppers to prevent breakage when bottoming, because do what you like, if you ride hard enough, anything bottoms out.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #1644 on: April 19, 2020, 02:30:14 pm »
Yes. I know that.

In the vid the stoppers is made smaller. To have less pronounced dead stop effect when bottoming. That final 1cm or such of absorption was made less on the reworked suspension

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #1645 on: April 19, 2020, 02:32:42 pm »
Yes. I know that.

In the vid the stoppers is made smaller. To have less pronounced dead stop effect when bottoming. That final 1cm or such of absorption was made less on the reworked suspension

That would not be a good idea longterm, I don't think.

The following users thanked this post: m0lt3n

Offline IanTheTooth

• Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
« Reply #1646 on: May 13, 2020, 01:59:49 am »
Yesterday I had to go into Mackay to take my wife for an appointment so I got hold of Bullet bikes and asked if I could take a T7, Australiaís best selling bike for a spin. In a country full of cover your arse regulations they photocopied my licence and gave me the keys, no questions asked.

I felt immediately comfortable and well balanced on it, so much so that I managed to hold stationary for the few seconds that the robots took to change outside the bike shop. It might sound stupid but at times it felt well planted like a horse. On the road two things struck me, firstly the little screen doesnít do that much for you, the 1100 Katana had a similar little screen that was fantastic, so I donít know what happened here. Secondly, there is not that much vooma. I was expecting closer to its older sibling the 900 twin rather than the Kawasaki 650 Iím using at the moment. Nothing wrong with that but it may be a bit shy for two up on a twisty climb.

I found my way into the Pioneer river so I can confirm that it laughs at sand and is a blast up a muddy bank. They never looked at the bike when I brought it back so they didnít say anything about getting it a bit dirty. It feels very light but drop it into a hole and Iím sure you will find out how heavy it is. I think I would cry the first time I threw it away. There is such shiny and breakable plastic bits on the side with pernickety little fasteners. Someone was awake because the sump guard is not attached to the sump but on a false downtube cradle.

The air filter is in the sensible place under the seat and it is a foam one here.  I can only roll my eyes sometimes with guys who either didnít know their expensive adventure bike had a paper filter under the tank or were quite happy to let the dealer deal with it in 40,000km.

I think there should be a law that any bike you canít lift onto a Coca Cola case should have a centre stand.  For me that starts at 130kg. I donít think you can do the trick of canting it back on the side stand and dropping it on the box either because the sidestand is a very lightweight aluminium jobbie. It comes with tubes in the tyres and a rear rim that looks too wide for a Tubliss system. It doesnít worry them here because there are no thorns to worry about and if you find a rock garden itís because youíve been looking for it. 

The questions I asked myself is 1) is it worth the price of two brand new Dr650's? ANSWER: Yes 2) Would I spend $17k on a bike? ANSWER: No, I'm still too cheap for that. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 03:48:32 am by IanTheTooth »
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1647 on: May 13, 2020, 03:46:24 am »
Thanks for the feedback Ian, sounds like you did somehow like it though!  :thumleft:

I am not sure to what 650 Kawa you are comparing it wrt power output? Versys? (which I am very familiar with since my son rode one for quite some time)
What I can tell is that I was riding a DL650 Vstrom and that it pulled quite a bit stronger than the Versys, but when I went to Centurion Yamaha lat 2013 to test-ride a MT07 the Suz felt pap....the MT07 had a considerable amount of torque and it reminded me of my old Triumph XC800. So now I wonder, the dealers version (testmodel) not a bit choked up maybe?

Offline IanTheTooth

« Reply #1648 on: May 13, 2020, 03:52:53 am »
It did like it and yes, the Versys 650 but not the LAMS version.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1649 on: May 13, 2020, 04:04:55 am »
It did like it and yes, the Versys 650 but not the LAMS version.

My son had the second generation Versys (2014 model) and the Vstrom I was riding was also the second generation with the twin headlights.
Ian I am confident that the test model T7 was detuned, unless the T7 behaves differently to the MT07.
Honestly, I am not a hooligan but found it hard to keep that front wheel on the pavement while accelerating and pulled very hard through the midrange; so much so that I though it might give the XC800 a go.

On the price.....pok yes that a lot of money regardless.  :-[

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #1650 on: May 13, 2020, 07:06:21 am »
Does it have different maps maybe?  :)
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline peteb

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • There is no such thing as common sense.
« Reply #1651 on: May 13, 2020, 08:26:59 am »
Just buy it young Hogg, I'm sure you will enjoy as with all the other Yamahas you've owned.
Couple questions....how does the motor feel compared to your TDM? (is that the 900 you were referring to?) And what are your thoughts on the seat for 2 up comfort? And seat height? (all important points for me to consider if I upgrade). Must say I'm on the fence...think I will wait till the Norden appears before making a final decision.
Previous bikes...where to start
Current bikes: 200 XCW, 250 Freeride, 950 Adv S, PE 175, 1 1/2 IT 175's

Offline IanTheTooth

« Reply #1652 on: May 13, 2020, 10:16:20 am »
Morning Pete. No, this is not a pillion bike, it is more in line seat height and pillion area to your KTM 990. Time for your missus to get her own bike. Don't get me wrong about the motor, it has a fantastic midrange punch and feels like you could never stall it but it runs out a bit where I would expect more. Before you all start bleating about only doing 100km I was passed on R77 by a guy on an Africa Twin and when I caught him he was doing 155km on the GPS. I'm sure he would be doing that from Townsville to Moranbah. As my son says, there are no plates on the front and by the time you turn to catch them they've gone and the police V8 pursuit cars have gone to the wreckers yard, the radar that they have doesn't pick up bikes very well if there is anything else moving and he wouldn't be stupid enough to blast past a squad car going in the same direction. By the way Pete, had a major adventure bike fail when I attempted to cut across the Andromache valley to Crystal brook Road but didn't take a GPS track and finished up going the wrong way in the state forest. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:20:29 am by IanTheTooth »

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Choose orange. Choose Stihl.
« Reply #1653 on: May 13, 2020, 11:44:52 am »
The Mt 07 reviews all dictate what a good hooligan tool the motor is.
And then, it was decided to re tune the motor for the T7.
And all the T7 reviews dictate how smooth the motor is.....
I would choose full power with electronics that can be switched off anyday over a retuned engine with no electronics and no guts,
If you take a T7 and druk a MT07 motor and loom in it, you will have a real gem me thinks...
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs

Kaboef:  "Ek dink BMW gooi drank in hul koffie en muffins. Want as jy dronk is, koop jy enige kak."

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #1654 on: May 13, 2020, 12:03:11 pm »
I would choose full power with electronics that can be switched off anyday over a retuned engine with no electronics and no guts,
If you take a T7 and druk a MT07 motor and loom in it, you will have a real gem me thinks...
They make the same HP. Smoother power delivery makes a lot more sense off road
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

The following users thanked this post: subie

Offline Altie7deLaan

« Reply #1655 on: May 13, 2020, 02:11:48 pm »
They make the same HP. Smoother power delivery makes a lot more sense off road

Of course it does.
It is also possible to tune a motor to be smooth and still be fun.
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs

Kaboef:  "Ek dink BMW gooi drank in hul koffie en muffins. Want as jy dronk is, koop jy enige kak."

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #1656 on: May 13, 2020, 02:33:36 pm »
but then you lose Jap reliability.

Cant have fun and reliability....
fun means you push the limits, take harder hits and then complain when stuff breaks. Its as applicable to cars as it is to bikes.

Offline Altie7deLaan

« Reply #1657 on: May 13, 2020, 08:13:50 pm »

fun means you push the limits, take harder hits and then complain when stuff breaks. Its as applicable to cars as it is to bikes.

Japs build 200 hp superbikes that is lots of fun and very reliable.
And yet, very little excitement in the adv market.
Good thing then that we have KTM, even if they get labelled as unreliable ,mostly by people who have never owned one, but knows somebody that does. :thumleft:

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #1658 on: May 13, 2020, 08:31:38 pm »

Good thing then that we have KTM, even if they get labelled as unreliable ,mostly by people who have never owned one, but knows somebody that does. :thumleft:

when I had the superbike itch, the CBR was rated as boring.
and currently the BMW rules the crop (looking at isle of man results)
disclaimer:comment from complete superbike noob

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #1659 on: May 13, 2020, 11:13:42 pm »

when I had the superbike itch, the CBR was rated as boring.
and currently the BMW rules the crop (looking at isle of man results)
disclaimer:comment from complete superbike noob

Honda rules the blue ribband class of bike racing, MotoGP..........

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits