Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yamaha T7 - No longer a Concept  (Read 290405 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Re: Yamaha T7 Concept
« Reply #200 on: April 01, 2018, 08:19:20 pm »
Same as 790 Adventure. Still a long way away. I would have thought an Adventure would have been released first but they chose to go with the Duke initially. Shows you what sells the most hey.

Our market and the adventure market is small compared to the USA and European markets that are more hardtop orientated ... which is also why the DS bikes are leaning more that way too ...
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #201 on: April 02, 2018, 10:29:17 pm »
Meant to be testing the proto in Africa as well ... SA maybe?  ::)
Morocco as far as I know. The 660 was launched there in 2008.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #202 on: April 02, 2018, 11:03:03 pm »
Meant to be testing the proto in Africa as well ... SA maybe?  ::)
Morocco as far as I know. The 660 was launched there in 2008.

Hmm - ja would make sense ... North Africa ... and Yamaha not strong in SA at the moment  ::)
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline ZooDog

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • ride everything hard
« Reply #203 on: April 09, 2018, 05:32:19 pm »
When is this bike coming im now tired of waiting
TIA. this is africa

Offline Rover

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Rover;... An old dog.
« Reply #204 on: April 09, 2018, 07:06:30 pm »
Looks good :)
'Never give up'

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #205 on: May 22, 2018, 10:10:01 am »
Spy shots sort of. Looks a little slim on fork travel

https://adventuremotorcycle.com/news/yamaha-mt07-t7-adventure-spy-shots
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Xpat

« Reply #206 on: May 22, 2018, 10:20:13 am »
Spy shots sort of. Looks a little slim on fork travel

https://adventuremotorcycle.com/news/yamaha-mt07-t7-adventure-spy-shots

That is year old.

And regarding suspension, being Yamaha/Japanese mfg, and knowing they are going to build it to price point, it is pretty safe bet that suspension is going to be cheap crap. Which would be fine with me if they would make it at least easily upgradeable - e.g. use 48mm diameter of forks, so one can swap them for plethorea of proper forks without changing the whole front end of the bike. But I think it is pretty safe bet that they are not going to do that either. They will probably put in some 43mm crap they found in their second hand bin.

Offline volroom

« Reply #207 on: May 22, 2018, 10:54:37 am »
not so positive about jap bikes anymore for some reason..
2003 R1150GS

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #208 on: May 22, 2018, 11:17:27 am »
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Offroadrider

« Reply #209 on: May 22, 2018, 12:54:34 pm »
I don't think they will put crappy suspension on, they know they are up against KTM and BM for sales, I rate it will be a top range scooter not a POS like the 660 Tenere

Offline blauth

« Reply #210 on: May 22, 2018, 01:03:24 pm »
I don't think they will put crappy suspension on, they know they are up against KTM and BM for sales, I rate it will be a top range scooter not a POS like the 660 Tenere

POS Tenere was one of my favorite bikes. What made it a piece of shit?

Offline Xpat

« Reply #211 on: May 22, 2018, 01:09:27 pm »

You are about the first person I've came across who seems to way, that standard Tenere's suspension was good. In my experience it was horrible - undersprung, bottoming at slightest provocation, rear kicking back dangerously to the point that there were few people who flew over handlebars when they got a bit enthusiastic. Just putting Hyperpro springs in made it uncomparably better. I'm basically not good enough rider to be able to ride on such horrible suspension, so I had it upgraded properly. Then it was OKish, with the rear shock still being big limitation for enthusiastic off tar riding.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #212 on: May 22, 2018, 01:23:23 pm »

Well, we are of course speculating here, and I would love to be wrong on this one. But I would bet money that I'm not.

Yamaha is going to compete based on price, not quality of components. At least that is exactly what they did with both Tracers. And when they priced Tenere XT660Z high as they did, they sold about 10 of them (I had one) - and that one didn't even have quality components.

Plus, those standards you use - KTM and BMW are standards only as far as having 30% matric pass rate is a standard. BMW proudly delivers most of their bikes without suspension (X-Challenge/HP2 with airshock and crappy forks, first years 800GS basically didn't have forks), and KTM is learning fast with the low quality forks they are putting on their recent models. I had forks replaced on my 2014 690 as the standard is just crap even after Hilton Hayward treatment. Simple as that. KTM keeps their suspension nowadays only marginally better than competition.

I think the manufacturers just wised up - they are fully aware that most people who buy these 'adventure/rally' bikes rarely take them off tar, and when they do they stick to easy dirt and conservative speeds. And the few who want to ride off-tar with a bit of gusto, will splash out for proper suspension upgrade. That is where KTM still keeps its edge IMO, because they use 48mm dimensions even for their crap suspension, so it is easy swap for something better.

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #213 on: May 22, 2018, 02:31:24 pm »
Is this clip new?

Looks awesome?
Pass this way once!

Offline blauth

« Reply #214 on: May 22, 2018, 03:00:16 pm »

You are about the first person I've came across who seems to way, that standard Tenere's suspension was good. In my experience it was horrible - undersprung, bottoming at slightest provocation, rear kicking back dangerously to the point that there were few people who flew over handlebars when they got a bit enthusiastic. Just putting Hyperpro springs in made it uncomparably better. I'm basically not good enough rider to be able to ride on such horrible suspension, so I had it upgraded properly. Then it was OKish, with the rear shock still being big limitation for enthusiastic off tar riding.

Xpat, don't misunderstand me, I didn't suggest the standard suspension is good, I was speaking of the bike in totality (I didn't really ask the question in context of the suspension alone, perhaps rather the potential). The standard suspension is pretty very shit but I bought my bike from Wolf Skaap who had already worked the suspension (front and back), put a single pipe, tail tidy, fat bars, wide pegs and had it tuned up and it wasn't turned into a tank with all sorts of other crap like crash bars. So with some mods, the bike is great. Mine was probably about 10kg lighter than the std one too. I had a drag against a KTM690 once and the 690 only pulled ahead by maybe 20m robot to robot so the thing went well too. Bottom line, the bike went well, handled well, had awesome fuel range, looked excellent and was ergonomically excellent other than the step in the seat. I don't know of too many bikes that are good off the showroom floor.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:01:29 pm by blauth »

Offline Fransw

« Reply #215 on: May 22, 2018, 03:03:11 pm »
Is this clip new?

Looks awesome?

Looks new, but they are copying the Honda adv scooter's marketing campaign! :patch:

Anyway, it looks awesome!..

Offline blauth

« Reply #216 on: May 22, 2018, 03:15:54 pm »

Well, we are of course speculating here, and I would love to be wrong on this one. But I would bet money that I'm not.

Yamaha is going to compete based on price, not quality of components. At least that is exactly what they did with both Tracers. And when they priced Tenere XT660Z high as they did, they sold about 10 of them (I had one) - and that one didn't even have quality components.

Plus, those standards you use - KTM and BMW are standards only as far as having 30% matric pass rate is a standard. BMW proudly delivers most of their bikes without suspension (X-Challenge/HP2 with airshock and crappy forks, first years 800GS basically didn't have forks), and KTM is learning fast with the low quality forks they are putting on their recent models. I had forks replaced on my 2014 690 as the standard is just crap even after Hilton Hayward treatment. Simple as that. KTM keeps their suspension nowadays only marginally better than competition.

I think the manufacturers just wised up - they are fully aware that most people who buy these 'adventure/rally' bikes rarely take them off tar, and when they do they stick to easy dirt and conservative speeds. And the few who want to ride off-tar with a bit of gusto, will splash out for proper suspension upgrade. That is where KTM still keeps its edge IMO, because they use 48mm dimensions even for their crap suspension, so it is easy swap for something better.

Coincidentally, you're one of the first people who has admitted that the 690 suspension is crap. I said this ages ago after spending about 250km on one. Doesn't matter what you adjusted, it was harsh and quite frankly, unless you were pinning it full tilt, it just didn't perform. Even then, sharp edge hits would buck you all over the place. I've got a little CRF250 Rally now. The front suspension is very basic but it actually works. The back suspension on the other hand, well, let just say the standard Tenere suspension feels like race bike suspension in comparison.

I have to say however, of all the offroad (dirt bikes) brands I've owned, Yamaha has in general had the best suspension.

Offline zacapa

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • XR650L - 134.217kg lite weight special...
« Reply #217 on: May 22, 2018, 03:26:28 pm »
The upper part of the forks at 2:27 in the video can be scaled in relation to the 21 inch front tyre. According to my maths the uppers are around 59.5mm thick.
Hoping that material thickness is around 5mm or so these are a good indication that the forks may in fact be 48's

Offline Xpat

« Reply #218 on: May 22, 2018, 03:39:43 pm »
The upper part of the forks at 2:27 in the video can be scaled in relation to the 21 inch front tyre. According to my maths the uppers are around 59.5mm thick.
Hoping that material thickness is around 5mm or so these are a good indication that the forks may in fact be 48's

It they are, that would be a smart move on the side of Yamaha IMO. Give it some crap simple suspension to keep the price point down for people who will ride it only on tar (most of the target customers - i.e. Europeans), but make it easy to upgrade for the few who want to ride it more enthusiastically. I have no experience with proper Yamaha offroad suspension - i.e. KYB which I believe they own, but people like Wolf Skaap swear by them. So if Yamaha provides the right dimension for forks (and equally easily upgradeable route for shock - on old Tenere the travel was just limited and there was nothing even Ohlins could do about that) and - if they are smart enough - sell aftermarket proper KYB forks and some great quality shock, that would first of all contribute to their top line by selling more crap, and - more importantly probably - create a mystique around the bike because of vastly improved capabilities great suspension gives (even though minority of owners may buy it - but those will be probably the ones posting cool videos on youtube).

Anyway, let's see what happens. I'm not interested in this bike now as I have no use for it for my current type of riding, but that may change in the future and it would be nice to have decent option available then. 

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #219 on: May 22, 2018, 03:52:22 pm »

It they are, that would be a smart move on the side of Yamaha IMO. Give it some crap simple suspension to keep the price point down for people who will ride it only on tar (most of the target customers - i.e. Europeans), but make it easy to upgrade for the few who want to ride it more enthusiastically. I have no experience with proper Yamaha offroad suspension - i.e. KYB which I believe they own, but people like Wolf Skaap swear by them. So if Yamaha provides the right dimension for forks (and equally easily upgradeable route for shock - on old Tenere the travel was just limited and there was nothing even Ohlins could do about that) and - if they are smart enough - sell aftermarket proper KYB forks and some great quality shock, that would first of all contribute to their top line by selling more crap, and - more importantly probably - create a mystique around the bike because of vastly improved capabilities great suspension gives (even though minority of owners may buy it - but those will be probably the ones posting cool videos on youtube).

Anyway, let's see what happens. I'm not interested in this bike now as I have no use for it for my current type of riding, but that may change in the future and it would be nice to have decent option available then.

When you buy a car you have a list of options to choose from, it baffels me that the DS bike retailers/maunfacturers have not ever thought of giving a option of a upgraded (alternative) suspension to suit the riders needs like,

1. Only road use
2. 50/50
3. Mostly off road / race spec.

Makes perfect sense to me but hay I am only the end user!
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660