Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yamaha T7 - No longer a Concept  (Read 254749 times)

Greeny and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
Re: Yamaha T7 Concept
« Reply #2120 on: July 28, 2020, 03:21:43 pm »
If it's R200k it's dead in the water because they basically want the same money as something the same weight but with more power, suspension and nice electronics....Namely the orange bike.

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #2121 on: July 28, 2020, 03:42:15 pm »
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Saddle Up

« Reply #2122 on: July 28, 2020, 03:46:20 pm »
If it's R200k it's dead in the water because they basically want the same money as something the same weight but with more power, suspension and nice electronics....Namely the orange bike.

That's the thing, I don't care much for the gizmos but that will most certainly be the deciding factor in the competitions favout. BUT if I had the money the competition would not stand a chance
n Skaap is nie n scrambler

Offline geopat

« Reply #2123 on: July 28, 2020, 03:59:05 pm »
If this had come out pre covid the price would have been reasonable but Im afraid we are in for a real shock when the new bikes of all makes are priced to reflect the current exchange rate and state of the economy

Offline Noneking

« Reply #2124 on: July 28, 2020, 04:16:39 pm »
S'true Noneking. I do travel with a tub of vaseline. Wouldn't surprise me if Dan does too.
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #2125 on: July 28, 2020, 05:24:39 pm »
I know most peope do not count reliability and long service as a bonus in a bike, because like with social media, they think short-term.

Noneking is a good example, of all the non Yamaha's he had, it was a list of breakdowns ranging from swingarms chafing through casings to broken rear shocks. :imaposer:

But these okes remain the biggest opponents of a brand like Yamaha ::)

Blerrie millenials.

Offline Noneking

« Reply #2126 on: July 28, 2020, 06:42:41 pm »
Loved all of my breakdown bikes

Most of them owned an ridden far and wide while you were drooling over a bike thatís still not available for sale
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #2127 on: July 28, 2020, 06:45:17 pm »

That's the thing, I don't care much for the gizmos but that will most certainly be the deciding factor in the competitions favout. BUT if I had the money the competition would not stand a chance

Ya but you can always just switch off the electronics that ARE there instead of paying for electronics that ARENíT there.  :lol8:

I actually do want to ride the T7 and see how it is, because I donít seem to actually ride hard enough for the newer Orange bikes.
I fear that Iíve leaned too heavily on the Off-road Traction control and ABS and now Iíll see my ass with everything off  :imaposer:

I have started turning more stuff off though, especially on slower rides.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #2128 on: July 28, 2020, 07:03:45 pm »

Ya but you can always just switch off the electronics that ARE there instead of paying for electronics that ARENíT there.  :lol8:

I actually do want to ride the T7 and see how it is, because I donít seem to actually ride hard enough for the newer Orange bikes.
I fear that Iíve leaned too heavily on the Off-road Traction control and ABS and now Iíll see my ass with everything off  :imaposer:

I have started turning more stuff off though, especially on slower rides.

You are, perhaps unmeaningly, raising an important point.

Rider aids breaks down your ability on a bike with none.

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #2129 on: July 28, 2020, 07:55:51 pm »
R200k is fuck all for this bike, same as all the other bikes ................................... surely some of you smarties scored a PPE contract or two?
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #2130 on: July 28, 2020, 08:00:26 pm »
R200k is fuck all for this bike, same as all the other bikes ................................... surely some of you smarties scored a PPE contract or two?

;) :biggrin:

Offline BuRP

« Reply #2131 on: July 28, 2020, 08:33:11 pm »

Yip, for instance if you learn to brake on an ABS-equipped bike you learn "Yank the lever and it'll stop!" - so great hmm, lekker safe innit?
Try same on a non-ABS bike, and witness the okes going down due to a frontwheel washout.

Learn on a non-electronized bike, then progress to a fancy IT-magoofter!  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 08:33:57 pm by BuRP »
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #2132 on: July 28, 2020, 08:35:46 pm »
The Triumph Tiger 900 Starts at about 219k and is so much more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are discussing DS bikes here not road tourers

I know the triumph is a fare share more expensive. .. But stock for stock that triumph would not have to stand back, if not win, the T7 in most if not all terrains. (go check the reviews, it's not just an upgrade on the crappy 800)
People seem to like to forget how undersprung the T7 is.

Yip, for instance if you learn to brake on an ABS-equipped bike you learn "Yank the lever and it'll stop!" - so great hmm, lekker safe innit?
Try same on a non-ABS bike, and witness the okes going down due to a frontwheel washout.

Learn on a non-electronized bike, then progress to a fancy IT-magoofter!  :thumleft:

Lots of assumptions here.
I learned like that on a GS. This never happened to me and I have done my bit of technical riding with and without ABS by now
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #2133 on: July 28, 2020, 08:35:54 pm »

To be fair Iíve never had the ABS come into play off-road. Iíve tested it bode it twice on purpose but never had a ďmomentĒ unintentionally.
For me itís more a mental thing. I like knowing itís there, just in case.

Offline Offroadrider

« Reply #2134 on: July 28, 2020, 10:42:32 pm »
The Triumph Tiger 900 Starts at about 219k and is so much more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are discussing DS bikes here not road tourers

I know the triumph is a fare share more expensive. .. But stock for stock that triumph would not have to stand back, if not win, the T7 in most if not all terrains. (go check the reviews, it's not just an upgrade on the crappy 800)
People seem to like to forget how undersprung the T7 is.

Lots of assumptions here.
I learned like that on a GS. This never happened to me and I have done my bit of technical riding with and without ABS by now
Don't you mean how dikgat everyone is?

The following users thanked this post: subie

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #2135 on: July 29, 2020, 07:47:29 am »
I think most is staring themselves blind against the "ready to race", with al the gizmos, and forgetting what these bikes are.

The best of the crop, the 790R, will look, literally, like a lame duck compared to a WR450, etc, in technical offroad. Why, you ask? ::) Because of it's bulk and weight.

Now, what I have seen on the videos on T7/790 comparisons, is things very important to heavier D'S riders, like tractability at low RPM, and here the T7 shines over the 790.

The T7 puts out superior low-down grunt, while still spreading it's power over a very wide range too, even if it makes less of it than the 790.

BUT.....what use is the 790's extra hoses really, if you need to electronically harness it anyway to be able to get anywhere technical??

The 790's extra power is only really a benefit on tar, and unfortunately your off-road suitable "knobblies" won't take kindly to fast highway cruising.

So my ultimate impression is that the KTM scores through a advertising campaign-induced "cool" gactor due to it's "perceived" superiority.

I'll tell you now, for a technical Lesotho trip, the T7 will work so much better than the 790, especially through those narrow gullies. :imaposer: :imaposer:

The following users thanked this post: Fuzzy Muzzy

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33į54.712 E018į28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #2136 on: July 29, 2020, 08:05:55 am »

Quote from: 2StrokeDan on Today at 07:47:29 am

>So my ultimate impression is that the KTM scores through a advertising campaign-induced "cool" factor due to it's "perceived" superiority.

I agree with a fair bit of what you say Danie...
However; "KTM scores through a advertising campaign:" ...
the KTM is ALSO scoring - handsomely - in the sales department - 5 years ago, at EICMA 2015, I stood next to a 95% complete T7, it was in a high state of completion, but obviously with some minor work to be done...
5 years ago, the KTM 790 pre-production prototype was nowhere to be seen...on a piece of paper, maybe? ;)
that alone, gives the KTM a significant 'lead' in taking sales away from its 'closeish' competitor... (twins, 70cc plus...)
I keep feeling you have to be 'in it to win it' (Cliche, I know...) and Yamaha missed the boat (and missed a heap of sales) by being way too slow to market.
P!ss-poor execution (getting the bike to market...), I think, even if the bike - by all accounts - will be something special!
& dont' get me started on it having indicators with BULBS in the year-of-our-Lord, 2020.... when it has a LED headlight - parts-bin diving, methinks! :biggrin:
Chris

bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #2137 on: July 29, 2020, 08:17:54 am »
I think most is staring themselves blind against the "ready to race", with al the gizmos, and forgetting what these bikes are.
The 790 is much more than just gizmo's, there is a suspension in there somewhere as well

BUT.....what use is the 790's extra hoses really, if you need to electronically harness it anyway to be able to get anywhere technical??
So the 790 has lower power down low and this lower power needs to be harnessed electronically or be lost as well? Special ktm horses?

The 790's extra power is only really a benefit on tar, and unfortunately your off-road suitable "knobblies" won't take kindly to fast highway cruising.
160 is fast enough, and plenty fun to be had up that speed and knobblies do well enough. Not all of us stay on a farm. Actually is the T7 nicer on road. THe new GS of the middleweight category you can say...

So my ultimate impression is that the KTM scores through a advertising campaign-induced "cool" gactor due to it's "perceived" superiority.
I thought its because you can actually own one...

I'll tell you now, for a technical Lesotho trip, the T7 will work so much better than the 790, especially through those narrow gullies. :imaposer: :imaposer:
Maybe, but seems like the 790 will have plenty time while he is waiting for the T7 to make a plan
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #2138 on: July 29, 2020, 08:24:07 am »
The T7 puts out superior low-down grunt

You would think so right? But the 790 makes more power and torque everywhere in the rev range as far as I can tell from dyno graphs.

Didn't you once make an argument that a 250 will be more tractable simply because it doesn't have power not to?
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline teebag

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
« Reply #2139 on: July 29, 2020, 08:28:47 am »
Now, what I have seen on the videos on T7/790 comparisons, is things very important to heavier D'S riders, like tractability at low RPM, and here the T7 shines over the 790.

The T7 puts out superior low-down grunt, while still spreading it's power over a very wide range too, even if it makes less of it than the 790.

I thought so too, but in a few videos it seems the T7 struggles to get moving in low traction situations, almost like it wont go until the revs get to a certain point (gearing maybe?) I guess we will all have to wait just a little longer to see what it is like 1st hand.