Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yamaha T7 - No longer a Concept  (Read 256112 times)

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
Re: Yamaha T7 Concept
« Reply #2140 on: July 29, 2020, 09:57:16 am »
If this had come out pre covid the price would have been reasonable but Im afraid we are in for a real shock when the new bikes of all makes are priced to reflect the current exchange rate and state of the economy

We may even see some other measures come into play, under performing models may fall out the market as dealerships try to keep the lights on and only stock what sells.. we may see longer delays in models being released and we may even see dealerships close.. its very uncertain at the moment but i anticipate that dealerships are going to need all the support they can get..
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Choose orange. Choose Stihl.
« Reply #2141 on: July 29, 2020, 10:51:48 am »
The T7 `s real appeal is the fact that it was released in countries, offering back to basics biking value at a real attractive price.
Because if you are stripping away gizmos, you have to be paying less. Regardless of what you think about this gizmos and QUALITY suspension, they cost money.
Lets be honest: The T7 brings nothings special to the table. It is suppose to bring a easy to use bike at a great price.
The bike was received well and received great reviews because of what you are getting for your money.
I dont get care if one guy can jump a T7 from one rock to another, I doubt any trials rider are going to sell his trials bike and get a T7.
I am also not impressed by a crazy Italian riding the crap out of a T7, because the same guy will be even more impressive on a 790R.
The playing of the card its is worth whatever pricetag comes on it because it is a Yamaha, nope, I dont fall for that.
I consider loyalty commendable, but dont care for blind obedience.
This bike will sell well over here if the pricing is right ,  and Yamaha will gain more customers.

xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs

Kaboef:  "Ek dink BMW gooi drank in hul koffie en muffins. Want as jy dronk is, koop jy enige kak."

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #2142 on: July 29, 2020, 11:02:46 am »
The T7 `s real appeal is the fact that it was released in countries, offering back to basics biking value at a real attractive price.
Because if you are stripping away gizmos, you have to be paying less. Regardless of what you think about this gizmos and QUALITY suspension, they cost money.
Lets be honest: The T7 brings nothings special to the table. It is suppose to bring a easy to use bike at a great price.
The bike was received well and received great reviews because of what you are getting for your money.
I dont get care if one guy can jump a T7 from one rock to another, I doubt any trials rider are going to sell his trials bike and get a T7.
I am also not impressed by a crazy Italian riding the crap out of a T7, because the same guy will be even more impressive on a 790R.
The playing of the card its is worth whatever pricetag comes on it because it is a Yamaha, nope, I dont fall for that.
This bike will sell well over here if the pricing is right ,  and Yamaha will gain more customers.
I disagree here, it is special since no other manufacturer sells anything like it right now in this segment. Most are obsessed with rider aids and electronics or they sell you a bike that is marketed as dual sport but the reality is the cast wheels, weight and low ground clearance makes it only capable of doing light off road work. Even the AT which was most likely closest to the T7 now went with a bigger engine and more electronics. Maybe I'm just stuck in the past but it seems many like me prefer the less is more when it comes to something you are riding off the beaten track. Whether I'm an occasional adventure rider or someone heading off to remote places like Timbaktu the T7 would be my choice every time. Maybe it is even worth paying more for something that has less but you know will last you a lifetime of riding and won't be changed every 2nd year with a new model ? The exchange rate and other prices still indicate it should sell for 180k in SA.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline Altie7deLaan

« Reply #2143 on: July 29, 2020, 11:19:54 am »
I disagree here, it is special since no other manufacturer sells anything like it right now in this segment. Most are obsessed with rider aids and electronics or they sell you a bike that is marketed as dual sport but the reality is the cast wheels, weight and low ground clearance makes it only capable of doing light off road work. Even the AT which was most likely closest to the T7 now went with a bigger engine and more electronics. Maybe I'm just stuck in the past but it seems many like me prefer the less is more when it comes to something you are riding off the beaten track. Whether I'm an occasional adventure rider or someone heading off to remote places like Timbaktu the T7 would be my choice every time. Maybe it is even worth paying more for something that has less but you know will last you a lifetime of riding and won't be changed every 2nd year with a new model ? The exchange rate and other prices still indicate it should sell for 180k in SA.

Like you, I prefer raw biking. I have no idea why you want traction control, or,  FFS, stupid shit like quickshifters and auto blip.
I guess we all are desperate for a good bike and a good price, especially in this trying times.
And, I do believe we deserve it too.
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs

Kaboef:  "Ek dink BMW gooi drank in hul koffie en muffins. Want as jy dronk is, koop jy enige kak."

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #2144 on: July 29, 2020, 11:23:02 am »

Like you, I prefer raw biking. I have no idea why you want traction control, or,  FFS, stupid shit like quickshifters and auto blip.
I guess we all are desperate for a good bike and a good price, especially in this trying times.
Yes even if it's 180 or 200k I wont be able to buy one but I live in hope for a good 2nd hand one some years down the line. I do believe it will be my last bike (yes famous last words) I buy.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #2145 on: July 29, 2020, 11:34:28 am »
I feel there is a big disconnect here, shouldn't the government or bike companies rather invest some in education?

Rider aids is aimed at the old balies to lighten the load on our struggling medical services, but same old balies think its not cool and refuse to accept the helping hand.
Here KTM is even subsidizing this initiative, offering life to these grysbaard omies at the same price as these dangerous Japanese machines and still they only get flack for it....
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #2146 on: July 29, 2020, 11:41:59 am »
I prefer basic biking too which is why I've had my 690 twice as long as any other bike I've owned. But hell quick shifters are fun. And man, TFT displays are awesome.

As for big beard adventures into the unknown with a camel back filled with your own urine, if you are not booked to leave it's really a moot point.
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #2147 on: July 29, 2020, 11:56:03 am »
Live with social media and tech everyday, last thing I want is a call coming through on my bikes dash  :lol8:
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #2148 on: July 29, 2020, 12:09:14 pm »

This is the crux. Good bike at a good price. This bike has been reviewed as exactly that.At 170 - 180K it would offer that here.

In every comparison review I have seen the KTM has been regarded as the better bike but when you consider price the Yamaha is better value. In SA we are being asked to buy the Yamaha for KTM money. Yes people like Danie will convince you that even with price parity it is a better bike - the reality it is not. Might as well by a 701 or 690 add a screen and possibly a bigger tank and you have fair competition.

Danie would you trade your 701 in on this when you have to pay a hefty price premium?
In the video the head of Yamaha SA claimed that the T7 is an adventurised off road bike. Maybe his perspective is correct. The reality is you can by the KTM load it up and go off road with it. I would have to upgrade the springs just for my weight let alone the luggage needed for a good cross Lesotho adventure.
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #2149 on: July 29, 2020, 12:09:40 pm »
OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE!  :xxbah:

TWO WHEELS, AN ENGINE AND A PLACE TO SIT.  :deal:

Those fucking techno nerds back then didn't realise what they were unleashing when they started introducing brakes, suspension, gearboxes and all that shit.
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

"They" say I confuse wanting to stay young with wanting things to stay as they were when I was young.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #2150 on: July 29, 2020, 12:16:19 pm »
OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE!  :xxbah:

TWO WHEELS, AN ENGINE AND A PLACE TO SIT.  :deal:

Those fucking techno nerds back then didn't realise what they were unleashing when they started introducing brakes, suspension, gearboxes and all that shit.
Targeting the metrosexual market
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Altie7deLaan

« Reply #2151 on: July 29, 2020, 01:27:07 pm »
I prefer basic biking too which is why I've had my 690 twice as long as any other bike I've owned. But hell quick shifters are fun. And man, TFT displays are awesome.

As for big beard adventures into the unknown with a camel back filled with your own urine, if you are not booked to leave it's really a moot point.

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Dit is frickin snaaks, nou lekker gelag.

Dwerg, jy trade mos nie eintlik bikes in nie, jy skryf hulle af? :peepwall:

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #2152 on: July 29, 2020, 01:49:50 pm »
Just one thing.....

We're getting to the point where a TFT is going to be much the same cost as an LCD and both cheaper than an actual guage with moving needles.  Both also much more reliable as they have ZERO moving parts.   
I'd say Fuel Injection is now SIMPLER than faffing with carbs as well.

So what is simpler REALLY?     

Offline Noneking

« Reply #2153 on: July 29, 2020, 02:24:15 pm »
I think most is staring themselves blind against the "ready to race", with al the gizmos, and forgetting what these bikes are.

The best of the crop, the 790R, will look, literally, like a lame duck compared to a WR450, etc, in technical offroad. Why, you ask? ::) Because of it's bulk and weight.

Now, what I have seen on the videos on T7/790 comparisons, is things very important to heavier D'S riders, like tractability at low RPM, and here the T7 shines over the 790.

The T7 puts out superior low-down grunt, while still spreading it's power over a very wide range too, even if it makes less of it than the 790.

BUT.....what use is the 790's extra hoses really, if you need to electronically harness it anyway to be able to get anywhere technical??

The 790's extra power is only really a benefit on tar, and unfortunately your off-road suitable "knobblies" won't take kindly to fast highway cruising.

So my ultimate impression is that the KTM scores through a advertising campaign-induced "cool" gactor due to it's "perceived" superiority.

I'll tell you now, for a technical Lesotho trip, the T7 will work so much better than the 790, especially through those narrow gullies. :imaposer: :imaposer:

Jy sit die pot mis...... by a long mile....... :peepwall:

Ek het al amper 12000km van meestal "tech offroad" op my 790. Dit was al op bykans onmoontlike plekke en in al hierdie situasies was ek nog altyd die weak link, nie die bike nie. Lack of low down torque? Ag asseblief..... Ry die bike ten minste en kyk waartoe hy in staat is. Nee dit is nie 'n WR 450 nie, was nooit bedoel om te wees nie maar die hel weet dis nader daaraan as 'n T7..... :peepwall:

Ek staan verstom vir mense wat nog steeds dink die elektronics op 'n bike is daar om die "unuseable" krag te kan gebruik of om 'n swak ryer 'n beter een te maak........ Really??? Die 790 se electronics maak dit moontlik om in byna enige situasie die ideale setting te kies deur 'n knoppie met jou duim te druk. Maak dit 'n bike beter offroad? Verflippenseker! Dis 'n mal dier as jy jou pelle dice op sand paaie en volgende oomblik kan jy vir 'n tegniese klim uit deur die bike se karakter met 'n knoppie te verander. Maar ek en my Ready to Race pelle is seker maar net kommin met al ons gadgets en knoppies.......

PS...... Is die T7 al "READY FOR DELIVERY"?
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Grunder

« Reply #2154 on: July 29, 2020, 02:27:35 pm »
I think most is staring themselves blind against the "ready to race", with al the gizmos, and forgetting what these bikes are.

The best of the crop, the 790R, will look, literally, like a lame duck compared to a WR450, etc, in technical offroad. Why, you ask? ::) Because of it's bulk and weight.

Now, what I have seen on the videos on T7/790 comparisons, is things very important to heavier D'S riders, like tractability at low RPM, and here the T7 shines over the 790.

The T7 puts out superior low-down grunt, while still spreading it's power over a very wide range too, even if it makes less of it than the 790.

BUT.....what use is the 790's extra hoses really, if you need to electronically harness it anyway to be able to get anywhere technical??

The 790's extra power is only really a benefit on tar, and unfortunately your off-road suitable "knobblies" won't take kindly to fast highway cruising.

So my ultimate impression is that the KTM scores through a advertising campaign-induced "cool" gactor due to it's "perceived" superiority.

I'll tell you now, for a technical Lesotho trip, the T7 will work so much better than the 790, especially through those narrow gullies. :imaposer: :imaposer:

Ek het al amper 12000km van meestal "tech offroad" op my 790. Dit was al op bykans onmoontlike plekke en in al hierdie situasies was ek nog altyd die weak link, nie die bike nie. Lack of low down torque? Ag asseblief..... Ry die bike ten minste en kyk waartoe hy in staat is. Nee dit is nie 'n WR 450 nie, was nooit bedoel om te wees nie maar die hel weet dis nader daaraan as 'n T7..... :peepwall:

Ek staan verstom vir mense wat nog steeds dink die elektronics op 'n bike is daar om die "unuseable" krag te kan gebruik of om 'n swak ryer 'n beter een te maak........ Really??? Die 790 se electronics maak dit moontlik om in byna enige situasie die ideale setting te kies deur 'n knoppie met jou duim te druk. Maak dit 'n bike beter offroad? Verflippenseker! Dis 'n mal dier as jy jou pelle dice op sand paaie en volgende oomblik kan jy vir 'n tegniese klim uit deur die bike se karakter met 'n knoppie te verander. Maar ek en my Ready to Race pelle is seker maar net kommin met al ons gadgets en knoppies.......

Ek ruik iets brand...  :peepwall:
F800gs

Offline bud500

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #2155 on: July 29, 2020, 03:26:14 pm »
If it's R200k it's dead in the water because they basically want the same money as something the same weight but with more power, suspension and nice electronics....Namely the orange bike.

That's the thing, I don't care much for the gizmos but that will most certainly be the deciding factor in the competitions favout. BUT if I had the money the competition would not stand a chance

Ya but you can always just switch off the electronics that ARE there instead of paying for electronics that ARENíT there.  :lol8:

I actually do want to ride the T7 and see how it is, because I donít seem to actually ride hard enough for the newer Orange bikes.
I fear that Iíve leaned too heavily on the Off-road Traction control and ABS and now Iíll see my ass with everything off  :imaposer:

I have started turning more stuff off though, especially on slower rides.

You are, perhaps unmeaningly, raising an important point.

Rider aids breaks down your ability on a bike with none.

Yeah I see every other Sunday how the MotoGP stars get worse and worse on their mopeds in the pits or on their YZ's while training at the Ranch...
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #2156 on: July 29, 2020, 04:21:41 pm »
Rode a bike with traction control once. Forgot how to ride a bicycle
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #2157 on: July 29, 2020, 04:52:29 pm »

As die elektronika nie sdaar is om die 'unusable" krag te gebruik nie, waarom is dit dan daar??

Elektronika maak beslis van n swak ryer n beter een, en n goeie voorbeeld is seker motors, waar n blonde poppie met n splinternuwe liksens net so vinnig kan versnel in n moderne sportmotor as Giniel.

Wheelie control, ens maak van elke peophol n "dragracer".

Offline BuRP

« Reply #2158 on: July 29, 2020, 05:09:59 pm »

Heeltemaal korrek: ek het geleer swem sonder vlerkies, en toe ek die goed een dag probeer.... werk dit nogals great!
Maar, nou kan ek nie meer swem nie  ::)

Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #2159 on: July 29, 2020, 05:11:05 pm »

Heeltemaal korrek: ek het geleer swem sonder vlerkies, en toe ek die goed een dag probeer.... werk dit nogals great!
Maar, nou kan ek nie meer swem nie  ::)

:imaposer: