Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yamaha T7 - No longer a Concept  (Read 290399 times)

Offline Xpat

Re: Yamaha T7 Concept
« Reply #220 on: May 22, 2018, 03:54:46 pm »

Coincidentally, you're one of the first people who has admitted that the 690 suspension is crap. I said this ages ago after spending about 250km on one. Doesn't matter what you adjusted, it was harsh and quite frankly, unless you were pinning it full tilt, it just didn't perform. Even then, sharp edge hits would buck you all over the place. I've got a little CRF250 Rally now. The front suspension is very basic but it actually works. The back suspension on the other hand, well, let just say the standard Tenere suspension feels like race bike suspension in comparison.

I have to say however, of all the offroad (dirt bikes) brands I've owned, Yamaha has in general had the best suspension.

To me dumbing down of suspension seems like general trend across the manufacturers and happening even within the same models (690 at the beginning had OK suspension - same as 990 at the time, but over they years they just dumbed it down seriously).

As far as I can tell (and for full disclosure I haven't ridden most of those bikes, just read about them), by far the best suspension on any 'adv' bike was the one on KTM 640 Adventure. Next, 950's suspension, had somewhat compromised suspension in comparison, and it got worse further on with 990 (basically first 950 had the best, last 990, not that great). 690 originally had the same suspension as mid model of 990, and over the years it just got worse, particulaly with 2014 model when they came up with split forks (rebound dampening in one fork, compression in other). Looking at 790 Duke which has unadjustable forks, there seems to be real possibility they may do the same cheap trick on 790 R (they already went from hydro clutch to cable one).

While this is the most pronounced in KTM (mostly because they started on high level), this seems general trend. XT660Z was just plain bad, new AT based on some reports here doesn't seem to be the best either. And even on more dirt oriented bikes like Husky TE610, up to 2009 model (I think) they had proper fully adjustable suspension, later models had more compromised one (something couldn't be set-up - don't remember what), and TE630 had basically the same crap as X-Challenge (forks, shock was much better).

It is sad trend indeed, as suspension is for me together with lightweight the most important attribute of a bike for enjoyment and safety, but I guess that is what market dictates. As long as they make it easy for me to upgrade suspension relatively easily, I'm happy to spend the money to do so.

I'm past the point where I'm willing to have the whole front end (tripple clamps, wheel, etc.) redone, like I did on Tenere to get WP forks fitted in. Not because of the money, but because of the hassle. Plus it never really worked - while the front was great and extremely surefooted, the crap shock (even with Hyperpro spring) in combination with idiotic high rear end design of the bike made it downright dangerous, as few times I almost flew over handlebars kicked by the bike (and there were people who did).

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #221 on: May 22, 2018, 06:51:05 pm »
Xpat, don't misunderstand me, I didn't suggest the standard suspension is good, I was speaking of the bike in totality (I didn't really ask the question in context of the suspension alone, perhaps rather the potential). The standard suspension is pretty very shit but I bought my bike from Wolf Skaap who had already worked the suspension (front and back), put a single pipe, tail tidy, fat bars, wide pegs and had it tuned up and it wasn't turned into a tank with all sorts of other crap like crash bars. So with some mods, the bike is great. Mine was probably about 10kg lighter than the std one too. I had a drag against a KTM690 once and the 690 only pulled ahead by maybe 20m robot to robot so the thing went well too. Bottom line, the bike went well, handled well, had awesome fuel range, looked excellent and was ergonomically excellent other than the step in the seat. I don't know of too many bikes that are good off the showroom floor.

Haha yes that XTZ was also my favourite adv bike. Seeing as I used enduro bikes / XR's for adv, perhaps my opinion doesn't count for much.

I rode the shit out of that bike and never had any close moments (never even dropped it)

They just require a good set of tires, tuned suspension, as little weight as possible on the back and a little more skill than usual

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 07:38:00 am by wolf skaap »
Let the good times roll!

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #222 on: May 22, 2018, 06:58:51 pm »
I agree, there is no way that Yamaha will put SSS forks on the T7

I will go out of my way to add them myself.

Let the good times roll!

Offline blauth

« Reply #223 on: May 23, 2018, 10:05:52 am »
Xpat, don't misunderstand me, I didn't suggest the standard suspension is good, I was speaking of the bike in totality (I didn't really ask the question in context of the suspension alone, perhaps rather the potential). The standard suspension is pretty very shit but I bought my bike from Wolf Skaap who had already worked the suspension (front and back), put a single pipe, tail tidy, fat bars, wide pegs and had it tuned up and it wasn't turned into a tank with all sorts of other crap like crash bars. So with some mods, the bike is great. Mine was probably about 10kg lighter than the std one too. I had a drag against a KTM690 once and the 690 only pulled ahead by maybe 20m robot to robot so the thing went well too. Bottom line, the bike went well, handled well, had awesome fuel range, looked excellent and was ergonomically excellent other than the step in the seat. I don't know of too many bikes that are good off the showroom floor.

Haha yes that XTZ was also my favourite adv bike. Seeing as I used enduro bikes / XR's for adv, perhaps my opinion doesn't count for much.

I rode the shit out of that bike and never had any close moments (never even dropped it)

They just require a good set of tires, tuned suspension, as little weight as possible on the back and a little more skill than usual

And you said it was ridden by a little old lady when I bought the bike     :imaposer:

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #224 on: May 25, 2018, 08:20:50 am »
So.... Mr Dakar himself, Stephane Peterhansel has taken the T7 out for a little spin....  :drif:   :eek7:  :thumleft:

"What happen!!? Someone set up us the bomb!! We get signal. All your base are belong to us!!!"

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #225 on: May 25, 2018, 08:24:54 am »
more....   :drif:

that is a tall bike...  :patch:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 08:27:24 am by wiledog_X »
"What happen!!? Someone set up us the bomb!! We get signal. All your base are belong to us!!!"

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #226 on: May 25, 2018, 09:12:10 am »
You know this T7 is in all aspects probably better than his (Peterhansel)  YZE 750 Dakar bike ever was however in the eye of the modern "adventure riders" it's going to be heavy, under powered, mediocre suspension  and in general just not good enough  :lol8:
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #227 on: May 25, 2018, 09:34:33 am »
So.... Mr Dakar himself, Stephane Peterhansel has taken the T7 out for a little spin....  :drif:   :eek7:  :thumleft:

Ja the Africa leg of the 'World Tour' - Morocco. Waiting for the video.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline XRRX

« Reply #228 on: May 25, 2018, 10:17:13 am »
 :3some:

Fliffen awesome looking scoot!!!

Offline Offroadrider

« Reply #229 on: May 26, 2018, 11:42:22 pm »
I'm not sure that it will have crappy suspension, the S10 has great suspension, I have yet to find the limit where it starts doing stupid things.

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #230 on: May 29, 2018, 09:17:59 am »
 :imaposer:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Offshore

« Reply #231 on: May 29, 2018, 09:35:13 am »
So many new Bikes that are rolled out in the coming Year, to choose one will be very difficult. I have never owned a Yamaha but this looks like the real Deal.
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
KTM 990
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

Offline blauth

« Reply #232 on: May 29, 2018, 10:17:36 am »
I'm not sure that it will have crappy suspension, the S10 has great suspension, I have yet to find the limit where it starts doing stupid things.

Was an adventure ride once with a bloke on a S10. Unfortunately for him, his suspension very much found it's limits and after hitting a washout, cartwheeled him over forwards. It didn't end well for him or the bike.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #233 on: May 29, 2018, 10:33:46 am »

Was an adventure ride once with a bloke on a S10. Unfortunately for him, his suspension very much found it's limits and after hitting a washout, cartwheeled him over forwards. It didn't end well for him or the bike.

S10 was also the only incident on our previous group ride.
But I agree that it has okay (no such thing as faultless) suspension.

Anyhow, subscribed
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #234 on: May 29, 2018, 10:42:00 am »
Indeed a seriously awesome looking machine, as was the 660Z.
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #235 on: May 29, 2018, 10:53:09 am »
Things are looking up. Whenever I mentioned selling the 1150, Wify would give me a nasty look. Sunday we came out a restaurant and there was a AT parked outside. "This is nice" Now I've shown her pics of the T7, and I have permission to buy an AT, but I have to sell all my bikes, for which I could not get permission.

I mention that when the T7 comes out, I'm selling my bikes and buying one. No response... that's a good sign  :ricky:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #236 on: May 29, 2018, 11:24:14 am »
You know this T7 is in all aspects probably better than his (Peterhansel)  YZE 750 Dakar bike ever was however in the eye of the modern "adventure riders" it's going to be heavy, under powered, mediocre suspension  and in general just not good enough  :lol8:
was it Peterhansel, where there was footage of him riding an R1 in the dunes? These guys are aliens, they can do things we cannot dream of. 😂
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #237 on: May 29, 2018, 11:46:18 am »
Things are looking up. Whenever I mentioned selling the 1150, Wify would give me a nasty look. Sunday we came out a restaurant and there was a AT parked outside. "This is nice" Now I've shown her pics of the T7, and I have permission to buy an AT, but I have to sell all my bikes, for which I could not get permission.

I mention that when the T7 comes out, I'm selling my bikes and buying one. No response... that's a good sign  :ricky:
Ek dog jy moet ophou rook vir n AT? ;)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #238 on: May 29, 2018, 12:16:49 pm »

Ek dog jy moet ophou rook vir n AT? ;)

Vir die AT ja, hoekom dink jy het ek nog nie een nie, maar niks gesę oor die T7 nie  :biggrin:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Offroadrider

« Reply #239 on: May 31, 2018, 07:26:04 pm »
Every time I see this bike I get a semi.