Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yamaha T7 - No longer a Concept  (Read 290403 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: Yamaha T7 Concept
« Reply #240 on: May 31, 2018, 07:41:31 pm »
I'm not sure that it will have crappy suspension, the S10 has great suspension, I have yet to find the limit where it starts doing stupid things.

Was an adventure ride once with a bloke on a S10. Unfortunately for him, his suspension very much found it's limits and after hitting a washout, cartwheeled him over forwards. It didn't end well for him or the bike.

With all respect, you only get cartwheeled forward if your front wheel hits a rut/hole it cannot climb out of.

Nothing to do with suspension, perhaps a small degree of blame on wheel size?

Offline blauth

« Reply #241 on: May 31, 2018, 11:00:52 pm »
I'm not sure that it will have crappy suspension, the S10 has great suspension, I have yet to find the limit where it starts doing stupid things.

Was an adventure ride once with a bloke on a S10. Unfortunately for him, his suspension very much found it's limits and after hitting a washout, cartwheeled him over forwards. It didn't end well for him or the bike.

With all respect, you only get cartwheeled forward if your front wheel hits a rut/hole it cannot climb out of.

Nothing to do with suspension, perhaps a small degree of blame on wheel size?

I was on and XR and the bloke next to me on a 650 transalp. XR is fine cos it's got shit loads of travel but the TA rear bottomed out and then when the suspension is bottomed out and hits the exit ledge, it kicks the rear end up. He was on his front wheel for about five meters but held it together. We stopped to warn the other blokes but we're too late, the oke on the S10 hit the ditch, rear launched up and at about verticle, his front wheel locked to the one side......you can image the rest. It wasn't pretty.

A contributor of course was that it was one of those white sand tracks and this sloot just seemed to be invisible, caught us all out.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #242 on: June 01, 2018, 06:07:58 am »
Looks like the T7 will only launch finally at EICMA in November and be on floors early 2019 - same as the 790 ....

The T7 World Tour appears to end in Italy so this makes sense. Also clever to be able to take the bike there having had it all over being tested in 'real world conditions'- not rushed to the market.

So we will have the 790 and T7 in the boxing ring together at EICMA in the middleweight Adventure Division  :biggrin:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #243 on: June 01, 2018, 10:13:52 am »
Every time I see this bike I get a semi.

Doing things by half-measures?

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #244 on: June 01, 2018, 07:55:32 pm »
Looks like the T7 will only launch finally at EICMA in November and be on floors early 2019 - same as the 790 ....

The T7 World Tour appears to end in Italy so this makes sense. Also clever to be able to take the bike there having had it all over being tested in 'real world conditions'- not rushed to the market.

So we will have the 790 and T7 in the boxing ring together at EICMA in the middleweight Adventure Division  :biggrin:
I'm going to be there this year  :thumleft:
Can't wait
Let the good times roll!

Offline volroom

« Reply #245 on: June 02, 2018, 11:42:26 am »
I guess the MT07 engine will be tuned for low down torque, but the fuel consumption seems to be great. it won't need a tank bigger than 18-19L perhaps. But, a bigger tank would give it awesome range. 50kw is enough, if they can just keep the weight down. The MT07 is around 180kg wet. if they could somehow make magic happen and get it around 200kg wet..blah blah..
2003 R1150GS

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #246 on: June 02, 2018, 11:48:32 am »

Cannot wait to see how they will compare. One thing against the T7 is that they did not, like KTM, go for a all-new engine design, but used an existing roadbike mill.

For the T7 is that this existing engine is a thoroughly proven and tested one. :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #247 on: June 02, 2018, 02:49:39 pm »

Cannot wait to see how they will compare. One thing against the T7 is that they did not, like KTM, go for a all-new engine design, but used an existing roadbike mill.

For the T7 is that this existing engine is a thoroughly proven and tested one. :thumleft:

Dan I did ride the MT07 when it came out in SA (Can't recall now if it was 2013 or 14) and my first impression not that I know to much about dual purpose bikes was that it will work better for a dp bike than what I felt as a road-bike directly compared at that stage to the DL650 I was riding daily which was much smoother and solid on the asphalt.  The MT07 even felt more torque'y than the Triumph XC which one really had to rev to start making things happen. The front-end was very light under acceleration right from the start on the MT07 although it did rev freely to the topend. That is why they made the swingarm longer in the Tracer 07, the usable torque was just immediately available on the MT07. That is why in my opinion they did not use the MT09 tripple engine like many people reasoned 'why?" because compared to Triumph XCX that would have made sense. The MT07 engine is just so much better suited for a dual purpose bike and it shows that Yamaha have a lot of clever people actually thinking thing over and maybe taking advice from the right people if that makes sense. MT stands for Master of Torque and I think they got it just right in the MT07 mill.

As for the KTM 790. My only experience is on what I have read and I can only base my opinion on just that. The motor dimensions is so small that every tester thus far said it looks like a single - very compact design. I have read that KTM has tested this mill and they quote crazy distance in km's which I would rather not quote because it might have been a tipo. It sounds like they have done their homework, and based on the feedback of the testers last week at the bike show that did do rounds at Kayalami on the 790 Duke it sounds good. Only thing that make me wonder is that they compare (which is relevant to the Duke) the bike with the Triumph Street triple and 'prefer it over the triple' and I know that the 'Street triple was recently reworked and very popular road-bike. They say that the 790 is 'rev hungry' and likes to be revved above 7000rpm because 'then it comes alive'.......well that is not what we want in a Dual purpose bike right? Only to come alive above 7000rpm but then this is just some testers opinions. Maybe the 790 Adv will have a heavier flywheel, and mapped differently to deliver more torque in the low to midrange or maybe the journalist was just a 'rev hungry rider?"

The thing that makes this interesting is that we have been talking about these bikes for years already, and now finally it is a lot closer to the release dates. I hope that both these bikes will live up to our expectation!! I also silently hope that I will find a pot of gold to buy the one i like  :lol8:

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #248 on: June 02, 2018, 09:53:04 pm »

Not so sure about that.

KTM still needs to prove themselves when it comes to rolling out new motors.
Did they finally fix the rocker arm bug and borderline fatal airbox design flaws on the 690? If so, how many years later?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 09:54:35 pm by wolf skaap »
Let the good times roll!

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #249 on: June 02, 2018, 09:56:54 pm »

[/quote]

For the T7 is that this existing engine is a thoroughly proven and tested heavy one. :thumleft:
[/quote]
Not so sure about that.

KTM still needs to prove themselves when it comes to rolling out new motors.
Did they finally fix the rocker arm bug on the 690? If so, how many years later?
[/quote]

Yam is a proven heavy engine.
Husky fixed the rocker arm for them.
KTM is testing the 790 engine in the Duke for us.  :lol8:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #250 on: July 13, 2018, 03:07:09 pm »
The king puts the T7 through it's paces

Enable CC if you don't speak French  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 03:20:35 pm by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline mtr89

• Race Dog
  • one grateful dude
« Reply #251 on: July 14, 2018, 12:04:57 pm »
Every time I see this bike I get a semi.

Doing things by half-measures?
So what happens if you look twice? :eek7: :eek7: :eek7:
KX125-sold;DT 175-sold;XT660R-sold;VFR 800-sold;SR250-soldt;2006 YZ 250 2t sold;2009 YZ 250 2t sold; 2013 XT 660Z Tenere-current

Offline MiniDan

« Reply #252 on: July 17, 2018, 09:44:59 pm »
https://youtu.be/xQ0vv8nDu-I

Really like the look of this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #253 on: July 18, 2018, 07:51:40 am »
https://youtu.be/xQ0vv8nDu-I

Really like the look of this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does look good, and not only cosmetically. Good ground clearance, suspension and a motor with the right characteristics for this type of game.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #254 on: July 18, 2018, 07:59:07 am »
It got out of shape a little a few times in that video of Mr Dakar......

I nearly convinced myself to buy a 07 Tracer this weekend. Some dealers are doing them for 110k which is serious value for money but I'll wait for EICMA. Hopefully they show the production version of this concept. That fuel tank looks tiny though
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #255 on: July 18, 2018, 08:00:15 am »
It got out of shape a little a few times in that video of Mr Dakar......

I nearly convinced myself to buy a 07 Tracer this weekend. Some dealers are doing them for 110k which is serious value for money but I'll wait for EICMA. Hopefully they show the production version of this concept. That fuel tank looks tiny though
He is just a bit rusty on a bike  :pot:
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #256 on: October 26, 2018, 08:39:22 am »
10 days to go ....
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 08:41:31 am by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #257 on: October 26, 2018, 09:32:34 am »
Got to love Photoshop  8)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #258 on: October 26, 2018, 10:02:35 am »
Lets see ...
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline 2StrokeDan