Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yamaha T7 - No longer a Concept  (Read 273249 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: Yamaha T7 - No longer a Concept
« Reply #3560 on: November 17, 2020, 07:32:55 pm »
The true strength of any machine can be measured by the emotion it awakens in man.

This thread says the T7 is an all-time great.

Although the 790 problem thread comes close..... :pot: :pot:

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
Yamaha T7 - No longer a Concept
« Reply #3561 on: November 17, 2020, 08:12:43 pm »
The true strength of any machine can be measured by the emotion it awakens in man.

Like how BMW and KTM remains top selling adventure bikes...much emotion awakened :thumleft:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 08:14:02 pm by Lord Knormoer »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #3562 on: November 17, 2020, 08:20:50 pm »

Like how BMW and KTM remains top selling adventure bikes...much emotion awakened :thumleft:

Like Toyota owners? :pot:

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #3563 on: November 17, 2020, 08:29:17 pm »

Like Toyota owners? :pot:
:spitcoffee:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #3564 on: November 17, 2020, 09:48:56 pm »
Guys, I am off to Greyton, to spend a week there with my wife, and daughter onvisit from the Netherlands.

See you late next week.

By then this thread must be looooong.

Ride safe.

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #3565 on: November 18, 2020, 09:23:02 am »
OK, a few updates from ourselves on the Yamaha Tenere T7:

1. Test ride- Gavin from Helderberg Yamaha visited us yesterday, and suggested I take the bike for a test ride, which I did, briefly, around 8km on tar, and 300 meters on good/lumpy gravel.
Impressions? Well the bike appears to be very well finished, both to my eyes and my sales guys, everyone commented on that point.

Riding the bike: I fit WELL on the bike, everything felt immediately 'to hand', I enjoyed the seating position, taller riders (I'm 1.82m) than myself may need lower pegs (which we have already fabricated and tested - more on that later).

...Loved the 'ABS OFF' button - a SINGLE button to toggle ABS 'ON' and 'OFF' no menu driven searches, and I did switch the ABS off for the 300m gravel section.
I did not ride the bike long enough to get an idea on suspension, at 90kg with no luggage, I was around 5kg above it's 85kg 'ideal' that I read somewhere, bike felt good, none-the-less.

I liked the low-down torque (noting that it is a twin), and then rolling-on in 4th the bike was responsive, and smooth, I may or may not have had it up to 170km, the bike was very stable indeed at speeds above the speed limit, confidence-inspiring!

I was not expecting to like the bike as much as I did - I really did enjoy my (admittedly short) ride, and could find nothing that bothered irked me whatsoever - again, for the brief time I rode it. In the looks department, it is a REALLY pretty bike indeed, photo-genic, if you like.

Final point of test-ride: we all LOVED the silencer - not for it's 'note', but because from the get-go, Yamaha has shaped it seemingly like an Akra/Remus, meaning slab-sided rather than round, so MUCH slimmer in profile than I was expecting, less of a risk when bike topples over (hello, F800GS), and will allow a pannier rack to be closer in than otherwise would be the case...

Impressive.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Flying Brick has developed and tested a set of longer/wider/LOWER footpegs, to be fitted to this bike (and other bikes, we have for ALL KTM's, ALL BMW's ad ALL Honda's presently...), these LOWER pegs are especially useful for taller riders, delivering less KNEE BEND, and then a more comfortable STANDING POSITION. They are 20mm lower, and can be ordered 28 - 30mm lower upon request. (the 28mm - 30mm version mean you need to 'find' your brake lever and gear lever, that drop is not for everyone!)

Their biggest advantage of lower footepgs is they may REDUCE the HEIGHT of handlebar raiser that SOME riders either request, or need, which will make the anti-bar raiser crowd, and Jan Staal in particular, happier. I have no problem whatsoever with Jan's view, have discussed it with him, and understand - fully- his rationale, it's just we have 5 foot 6 customers and 6 foot 9 customer, and their set-up needs differ.

Then, we have fabricated Orange Head Light Protector for the bike (O/H/L/P), for safety/visibility in traffic, all available from the 'Brick Store.
(crash bars, after-market bash plate all in stock, BarkBusters avail this Friday)

Cheers
Chris & Team
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 09:28:59 am by zebra - Flying Brick »
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #3566 on: November 18, 2020, 09:42:18 am »
Guys, I am off to Greyton, to spend a week there with my wife, and daughter onvisit from the Netherlands.

See you late next week.

By then this thread must be looooong.

Ride safe.
Don't worry Dan I will fly the T7 flag high
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #3567 on: November 18, 2020, 09:42:34 am »

1. Test ride- Gavin from Helderberg Yamaha visited us yesterday, and suggested I take the bike for a test ride, which I did, briefly, around 8km on tar, and 300 meters on good/lumpy gravel.
Impressions? Well the bike appears to be very well finished, both to my eyes and my sales guys, everyone commented on that point.

Riding the bike: I fit WELL on the bike, everything felt immediately 'to hand', I enjoyed the seating position, taller riders (I'm 1.82m) than myself may need lower pegs (which we have already fabricated and tested - more on that later).

...Loved the 'ABS OFF' button - a SINGLE button to toggle ABS 'ON' and 'OFF' no menu driven searches, and I did switch the ABS off for the 300m gravel section.
I did not ride the bike long enough to get an idea on suspension, at 90kg with no luggage, I was around 5kg above it's 85kg 'ideal' that I read somewhere, bike felt good, none-the-less.

I liked the low-down torque (noting that it is a twin), and then rolling-on in 4th the bike was responsive, and smooth, I may or may not have had it up to 170km, the bike was very stable indeed at speeds above the speed limit, confidence-inspiring!

I was not expecting to like the bike as much as I did - I really did enjoy my (admittedly short) ride, and could find nothing that bothered irked me whatsoever - again, for the brief time I rode it. In the looks department, it is a REALLY pretty bike indeed, photo-genic, if you like.

Final point of test-ride: we all LOVED the silencer - not for it's 'note', but because from the get-go, Yamaha has shaped it seemingly like an Akra/Remus, meaning slab-sided rather than round, so MUCH slimmer in profile than I was expecting, less of a risk when bike topples over (hello, F800GS), and will allow a pannier rack to be closer in than otherwise would be the case...

Impressive.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Flying Brick has developed and tested a set of longer/wider/LOWER footpegs, to be fitted to this bike (and other bikes, we have for ALL KTM's, ALL BMW's ad ALL Honda's presently...), these LOWER pegs are especially useful for taller riders, delivering less KNEE BEND, and then a more comfortable STANDING POSITION. They are 20mm lower, and can be ordered 28 - 30mm lower upon request. (the 28mm - 30mm version mean you need to 'find' your brake lever and gear lever, that drop is not for everyone!)

Their biggest advantage of lower footepgs is they may REDUCE the HEIGHT of handlebar raiser that SOME riders either request, or need, which will make the anti-bar raiser crowd, and Jan Staal in particular, happier. I have no problem whatsoever with Jan's view, have discussed it with him, and understand - fully- his rationale, it's just we have 5 foot 6 customers and 6 foot 9 customer, and their set-up needs differ.

Then, we have fabricated Orange Head Light Protector for the bike (O/H/L/P), for safety/visibility in traffic, all available from the 'Brick Store.
(crash bars, after-market bash plate all in stock, BarkBusters avail this Friday)

Cheers
Chris & Team

:thumleft:
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #3568 on: November 18, 2020, 09:44:23 am »
Thanks! looks the part!
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline skydiver

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Free as a bird
« Reply #3569 on: November 18, 2020, 11:07:34 am »
Thank you for the feedback Chris ..... now I want it even more.
I weigh 70kg so suspension should be fine in standard form
Sold: Yamaha PW80, Honda MT5, Honda XR200, Kawazaki KDX200, Yamaha TTR250, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800, BMW F650GS, Yamaha XT660Z, CRF230F
Current: NC750X

The following users thanked this post: zebra - Flying Brick

Offline bud500

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #3570 on: November 18, 2020, 01:36:24 pm »
So who's got one?
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline Noneking

« Reply #3571 on: November 18, 2020, 01:42:21 pm »
So who's got one?
No stock yet, only demos I think....
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline XRRX

« Reply #3572 on: November 18, 2020, 05:21:17 pm »

Offline XRRX

« Reply #3573 on: November 18, 2020, 07:52:24 pm »

Impressive.

Cheers
Chris & Team

Just red Dirt & Trail's write-up - also very positive!! :thumleft:
If only Yamaha SA was less greedy with their pricing... :patch:

Offline Gavin mac

« Reply #3574 on: November 18, 2020, 09:20:21 pm »
Thanks Chris and Team from Flying Brick.

We have a unit at Helderberg Yamaha. Ceramic as seen above.

Happy to say our clients are very happy with the landed price.  We have to agree that Yamaha SA and the dealer network have tried to keep it best we can. Anyone in import will agree. One cannot sit and Google exchange rate and believe that is what the price will be. Lots of other factors to take into account.

Proud to say first shipment is already sold out and the happy customers will be taking delivery shortly.
We have a shipment arriving in Jan as well as Feb and onwards.

So those who are serious. Feel free to contact me and we can arrange a viewing.. a test ride, take a deposit and secure you a bike going forward..

Some more positives.

Due to bikes only arriving now.. we have so many reports across the world with praise for the Tenere 700.
By now short comings should of been reported and thankfully the bike is excelling.

Also for the guys and girls who need to wait a little longer.. your bikes will be registered 2021.

They all come with a full 2 year unlimited km factory warranty.

Give me a shout and we can discuss anything further.

Gavin@helderbergyamaha.co.za

The following users thanked this post: Breekbeen

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #3575 on: November 18, 2020, 09:29:41 pm »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Piglettw200

• Bike: Yamaha XT600
« Reply #3576 on: November 21, 2020, 10:05:46 am »

Review from a Aussie guy that has owned a ridden all  all manufactures bikes into remote areas

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #3577 on: November 23, 2020, 01:15:49 pm »
Spent the weekend talking to quite a few people, riders and industry folks, about this thing......Keeps coming back to the price being too high.  Makes the Tiger 900 and 790 seem more appealing if anything.

But it seems like Yamaha are banking on selling vast numbers of these things, so if they end up with loads of stock, maybe prices will come down.

Offline Edgar

• Local Mods
  • Bike: KTM 1050 Adventure
« Reply #3578 on: November 23, 2020, 01:27:08 pm »
First thing I will do is slap on a tail-tidy on the bike. Otherwise it looks awesome  :drif:

Offline teebag

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
« Reply #3579 on: November 23, 2020, 01:47:20 pm »
saw it, sat on it, underwhelmed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk