Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yamaha T7 Concept  (Read 68739 times)

Offline peteb

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • There is no such thing as common sense.
Re: Yamaha T7 Concept
« Reply #420 on: February 02, 2019, 07:22:59 am »
So here is my plan for my 700 Tenere. Keep in mind that a KTM 950 SE seat height is 965mm and a Honda XR 650L seat height is 940mm. The 700 seat height is 880mm.. So the SE seat height is nearly 3.5 inches taller than the 700. That's a shit load! I'm 1.87 or 6 foot 2 so I don't battle with seat height.
Next step is to buy a recent YZ 450 with a blown up motor not worth repairing. I know of a few CR 450 rolling chassis that went for between 5 and 10k.
Fit the YZ triple clamps and 48mm front forks on the 700 and put a larger disk brake and a proper steel braided hose. You will lose approx. 7kgs in weight over the original twin disk setup and now have 12 inches of the best suspension available. Put a decent high front mudguard that won't get wrecked in the first mud/ clay hole! (A mate has the 1000 Africa Twin with CR 450 Showa forks and disk and its brilliant)
Next modify the rear shock using the YZ shaft and spring to also give close to 12 inches of travel.
By adding 3 to 4 inches of travel over stock it will only raise the seat height by max 2 inches, still lower than the XR 650
Get rid of that abortion of a rear tail light and number plate contraption and lose some more weight.
Put on a soon to be manufactured Akrapovic exhaust and lose all the emission shit and lose a whole lot more weight and gain some more power! Not that it needs it!
Your new 700 now weighs less than 180kg empty weight and becomes the ultimate most reliable fuel efficient long distance touring machine!! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Won't you run into ground clearance problems if you add 3 - 4 inches of travel but only 2 inches of seat height? The ground clearance is already marginal. Also I can see you getting more travel from the front quite easily (because of the slider/stanchion design of the current T7 forks) but I think you will run into problems at the rear. I personally don't see a YZ shaft being a straightforward change into the T7 shock body, I think you will be limited by shaft travel inside the current body as well as fluid volume transference between body and reservoir. Also I would be surprised if the clevis transfers easily from T7 shaft to YZ shaft, they look to be different diameters.
Not trying to knock your thinking, just think you must proceed with caution. Now if I had a YZ rolling chasis for sale I would give everything you say a thumbs up and offer you a KZN 'uncle' deal  ;)
Previous bikes...where to start
Current bikes: 200 XCW, 250 Freeride, 950 Adv S, PE 175, 1 1/2 IT 175's

Offline CUZZY

« Reply #421 on: February 02, 2019, 09:23:40 am »
At this stage the rear shock set up is an unknown. Possibly even use the YZ 450 rear shock with heavier spring and tuning.
As you probably know, KZN is full of suspension experts, Rod Bergstrom, Darren Coleman  Steve/Brad Thompson are 3 that come to mind  What they don't know about Yamaha KYB suspension is not worth knowing!
By having longer suspension and the bike sitting higher, it's not going to effect the ground clearance by that much.
My intention is not to do the ROA and really ridiculous rocky passes.
There is only 20mm difference in ground clearance between the Ten 700 and the KTM790R according to the specs.
Food for thought, and only if the bike actually exists!   ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #422 on: February 02, 2019, 11:06:37 am »
Does this change anything ?

Where did you see this, can't find anything via google?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #423 on: February 02, 2019, 01:41:43 pm »
Does this change anything ?

Where did you see this, can't find anything via google?
It was posted on the TET facebook page
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

The following users thanked this post: buzzlightyear

Offline YoungGSer

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Ride the WORLD
« Reply #424 on: February 02, 2019, 09:53:26 pm »
 None of you seem to have factored into account that the clutch cover sticks out so far you are going to catch your boot on it every 5min. When I sat on the bike it was immediately apparent that this was a major fault, it will get in the way no matter how short or long your legs are. The frustration this will cause is going to be next level IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Original Barstool Prophet

R1200 GS Adventure 2017

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #425 on: February 02, 2019, 10:53:02 pm »
None of you seem to have factored into account that the clutch cover sticks out so far you are going to catch your boot on it every 5min. When I sat on the bike it was immediately apparent that this was a major fault, it will get in the way no matter how short or long your legs are. The frustration this will cause is going to be next level IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will get used to it just like the pots on your GS!  :lol8:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #426 on: February 04, 2019, 08:25:12 am »
At this stage the rear shock set up is an unknown. Possibly even use the YZ 450 rear shock with heavier spring and tuning.
As you probably know, KZN is full of suspension experts, Rod Bergstrom, Darren Coleman  Steve/Brad Thompson are 3 that come to mind  What they don't know about Yamaha KYB suspension is not worth knowing!
By having longer suspension and the bike sitting higher, it's not going to effect the ground clearance by that much.
There is only 20mm difference in ground clearance between the Ten 700 and the KTM790R according to the specs.

The 'soft' non-R version of the 790 has virtually identical clearance, travel and fork diameter vs the T7. Food for thought  ;)

And then there is the tiny little elephant in the room. 72.4hp and 68nm vs 95 and 88. Wait that's a BIG elephant. Speaking of elephants, the T7 is heavier as well.

Unless the Yamaha is 40k cheaper than the non-R KTM, you'd have to be a blind brand loyalist to choose the Yami
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 08:29:02 am by Dwerg »
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #427 on: February 04, 2019, 08:34:11 am »

The 'soft' non-R version of the 790 has virtually identical clearance, travel and fork diameter vs the T7. Food for thought  ;)

And then there is the tiny little elephant in the room. 72.4hp and 68nm vs 95 and 88. Wait that's a BIG elephant. Speaking of elephants, the T7 is heavier as well.

Unless the Yamaha is 40k cheaper than the non-R KTM, you'd have to be a blind brand loyalist to choose the Yami
But we already know the MT07 is a proven very reliable and economical motor and can be uncorked for more power. Who knows what the first gen 790 will dish up. But yes we always knew the KTM will have more power and performance, its par of the course when one get to the DS world Japanese vs KTM. The KTM to me is ugly and no amount of HP in the world can make up for that  :pot:
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #428 on: February 04, 2019, 08:57:32 am »
But we already know the MT07 is a proven very reliable and economical motor and can be uncorked for more power. Who knows what the first gen 790 will dish up. But yes we always knew the KTM will have more power and performance, its par of the course when one get to the DS world Japanese vs KTM. The KTM to me is ugly and no amount of HP in the world can make up for that  :pot:

The 790 has also been proven to be reliable and economical. Granted it's only been around for a short time but I've followed everything 790 Duke (rode it several times too) and so far things look good. Just like you'd expect from a modern KTM despite what naysayers and brand bashers think. Like I said, price is key. If the Yami is in it's own price bracket, it's still a very good option. If not, GTFO.
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline CUZZY

« Reply #429 on: February 04, 2019, 10:26:31 am »
That 790 is butt fuggly!  And as long as my lilly white nort points south, I won't own a KTM  ;) ;) ;)
Hey Dwerg did you not read my weight loss plan on the T7 ? 12 inches of the best KYB suspension and empty weight of 180kgs.
The top speed of an MT07 is 223 kph. I think even Toby Price would scare himself fartless doing that speed on dirt roads!  ;) ;) ;)

Offline Offroadrider

« Reply #430 on: February 04, 2019, 11:38:57 am »
Wonder how far I could have ridden on a 10hp TTR125 while your foot was in shreds from your lighter high HP 690?  just wondering

Offline peteb

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • There is no such thing as common sense.
« Reply #431 on: February 04, 2019, 12:21:49 pm »
That 790 is butt fuggly!  And as long as my lilly white nort points south, I won't own a KTM  ;) ;) ;)
Hey Dwerg did you not read my weight loss plan on the T7 ? 12 inches of the best KYB suspension and empty weight of 180kgs.
The top speed of an MT07 is 223 kph. I think even Toby Price would scare himself fartless doing that speed on dirt roads!  ;) ;) ;)
In all honesty I'm a function over form type, but to each his own. This from someone who owned the original Tenere for 21 years.
As for your mods - from the perspective of someone who has seen his fair share of shock and fork innards - I would say proceed with caution. These kind of mods never end up as straightforward as planned, and often you end up with a Frankenstein monster that does nothing particularly well.
Previous bikes...where to start
Current bikes: 200 XCW, 250 Freeride, 950 Adv S, PE 175, 1 1/2 IT 175's

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #432 on: February 04, 2019, 12:27:51 pm »

Wonder how far I could have ridden on a 10hp TTR125 while your foot was in shreds from your lighter high HP 690?  just wondering

Use the accident where my foot was almost amputated to make a your case for your brand. Classy.

I sometimes forget why I try not to engage in discussions on this forum anymore. Thanks for the reminder.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 12:35:18 pm by Dwerg »

Offline Offroadrider

« Reply #433 on: February 04, 2019, 12:38:55 pm »
Well if you dish it out,,,,,,,,,,,,,, chill Dwerg, you were hoping for a reaction nothing more nothing less

Offline CUZZY

« Reply #434 on: February 04, 2019, 01:49:18 pm »
Thanks peteb. This was just food for thought and to see what okes think.
I am 100% certain that Steve Thompson ex Yamaha SA technical fundi would know straight off the bat whether this is workable and why.
Hey Dwerg chill man. Your accident could happen on a pit bike. Never lekker to see anyone injured. Hope you are healing well.
I'm sure the KTM is going to be a brilliant bike and will outsell Yamaha by leaps and bounds.
I believe KTM has long lists of buyers. My local Yamaha shop doesn't even have a single potential sale.
The one thing I definitely don't like on the 790 is the step in the seat. What proper offroad bike has that???  Obviously done to keep the seat height down.

Offline Offroadrider

« Reply #435 on: February 04, 2019, 03:27:47 pm »
Thanks peteb. This was just food for thought and to see what okes think.
I am 100% certain that Steve Thompson ex Yamaha SA technical fundi would know straight off the bat whether this is workable and why.
Hey Dwerg chill man. Your accident could happen on a pit bike. Never lekker to see anyone injured. Hope you are healing well.
I'm sure the KTM is going to be a brilliant bike and will outsell Yamaha by leaps and bounds.
I believe KTM has long lists of buyers. My local Yamaha shop doesn't even have a single potential sale.
The one thing I definitely don't like on the 790 is the step in the seat. What proper offroad bike has that???  Obviously done to keep the seat height down.
The more I get used to the KTM the more I like it except the light,, hate the light, Yamaha should have had this 700 out two years ago then it would have made an impact but alas they took their time and KTM is going to clean up the market.

Offline funky_munky

« Reply #436 on: February 04, 2019, 03:43:43 pm »
The T7 is a unicorn, all fantasy and speculation....
Africa Twin CRF1000 and KTM 690 - Aaaah yeah, perfect combo....

Offline Berty77

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Africa Twin = GROOT KLR
« Reply #437 on: February 06, 2019, 05:51:32 pm »
January February March April May June July........
Skaap tjops, Lammie se kerrie wors en Klein Karoo sterre;
dis mos die lewe!

The following users thanked this post: buzzlightyear

Offline plonker

« Reply #438 on: February 10, 2019, 05:03:56 pm »
Screw Yamaha. The 660 Tenere also took forever to arrive. Hope they lose out huge to KTM. Maybe it will wake the idiots up. :laughing4:

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #439 on: February 11, 2019, 06:10:07 am »
January February March April May June July........

Pinocchio Meets Unicorn!

"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky: