Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yamaha T7 - No longer a Concept  (Read 275792 times)

Online Grunder

Re: Yamaha T7 Concept
« Reply #1940 on: July 03, 2020, 08:49:08 am »
Sukkel weer vandag..........
Wat ek wou se, Chris.

Hy like van bike werk, dus sal die 790 hom pas

ja ja

Ek kom gister vroeg by die huis na werk….kyk na die leeg garage....het niks om te doen, niks om reg te maak…. wat n waste. :patch:

2SD:
But......what makes it "better" than the competition, from what I picked up on the numerous videos, is the balance of the machine, the power delivery off-road, and that jewel of a CP2 engine.

What makes the power delivery unique?  I also noticed that but dont understand. 
What stood out for me, or rather, suddenly clarified a lot, was the observation of Fortnine that the front sprocket sits so high and forces the rear down when applying power down. THat was a great illustration and I think the reason some choose the T7 above the 790. The specs just did not agree with a lot of reviews, but that changes things

Makes no sense to me. The higher the front sprocket the more the bike will tend to squat under acceleration in my opinion . Which should effect front rake and trail making for a more stable less twitchy bike on acceleration.  :patch:  Maybe   :lol8:

yeah I also got that from the video.  keeps the front planted on acceleration
NC700 F800GS

Offline chicco

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • This site contains cookies.....
« Reply #1941 on: July 03, 2020, 10:14:14 am »
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 950S, KTM 990, KTM 990S, KTM 990R

Offline hendrikvanzyl6

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #1942 on: July 03, 2020, 10:44:20 am »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #1943 on: July 03, 2020, 11:42:55 am »
Wat ek wou se, Chris.

ja ja

Ek kom gister vroeg by die huis na werk….kyk na die leeg garage....het niks om te doen, niks om reg te maak…. wat n waste. :patch:

2SD:
But......what makes it "better" than the competition, from what I picked up on the numerous videos, is the balance of the machine, the power delivery off-road, and that jewel of a CP2 engine.

What stood out for me, or rather, suddenly clarified a lot, was the observation of Fortnine that the front sprocket sits so high and forces the rear down when applying power down. THat was a great illustration and I think the reason some choose the T7 above the 790. The specs just did not agree with a lot of reviews, but that changes things

Makes no sense to me. The higher the front sprocket the more the bike will tend to squat under accelaration in my opinion . Which should effect front rake and trail making for a more stable less twitchy bike on acceleration.  :patch:  Maybe   :lol8:

Subie jy se nou presies wat ek se. Jy gebruik net groter woorde
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline chicco

• Forum Whore
  • This site contains cookies.....
« Reply #1944 on: July 03, 2020, 12:22:10 pm »
I don't think the position of the front sprocket will have any affect on the power or torque to the back wheel. It will only have an affect if the front sprocket is not connected to the same frame as the back sprocket.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 12:24:32 pm by chicco »
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 950S, KTM 990, KTM 990S, KTM 990R

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #1945 on: July 03, 2020, 12:25:12 pm »
I don't think the position of the front sprocket will have any affect on the power or torque to the back wheel.

That is not what they're saying. They're saying the higher countershaft sprocket combined with the swing arm position results in a different drivetrain geometry helping to plant the front wheel more. If you think about it effectively it is now driving into the chassis at a higher point. That is what the Fort9 dude describes, makes sense.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #1946 on: July 03, 2020, 03:56:33 pm »
Wat ek wou se, Chris.

ja ja

2SD:

Makes no sense to me. The higher the front sprocket the more the bike will tend to squat under accelaration in my opinion . Which should effect front rake and trail making for a more stable less twitchy bike on acceleration.  :patch:  Maybe   :lol8:

It is exactly the "squatting" that pushes the rer wheel down and create more traction.

Offline Beserker

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #1947 on: July 03, 2020, 04:08:50 pm »

Not sure about the sprocket being high causing more squat, but definitely "squad" extends both the rake and trail which makes I bike less prone to wanting to turn (think Harley Davidson)
Real life, on the track, is why one hits the front brake going into a turn, it compresses the forks, decreases the rake, making for quicker turning.
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #1948 on: July 03, 2020, 04:31:07 pm »

Not sure about the sprocket being high causing more squat, but definitely "squad" extends both the rake and trail which makes I bike less prone to wanting to turn (think Harley Davidson)
Real life, on the track, is why one hits the front brake going into a turn, it compresses the forks, decreases the rake, making for quicker turning.

But think adventure bike ,on a dirt road, accelerating on maybe a slight sandy road. The squat and extended rake and trail will add stability to the bike . Transferring weight to the front via brakes and compressing your forks will decrease rake which will also decrease stability on dirt roads. Tar road setup yes but not on adventure bike on the dirt.
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1949 on: July 03, 2020, 06:27:17 pm »
I dont give squad, just want a T7  :3some:

Online Noneking

« Reply #1950 on: July 03, 2020, 06:57:38 pm »
Every single Sunday - First Ride.....

2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #1951 on: July 03, 2020, 08:32:46 pm »
Interesting comment he makes about low rev torque of the T7 vs the KTM.  From the sound of things for low speed work the T7 might have the edge.
It really seems to do very well offroad considering it is still a big bike.

He does mention the suspension seems undersprung for heavier guys, which was said elsewhere as well. But as he also said, stock bike suspension on most bikes need mods for the bigger guys.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 08:37:54 pm by Kortbroek »
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #1952 on: July 03, 2020, 10:43:16 pm »
watched half of that review, its pretty good.

but cant say I did not chuckle at the irony that the barebones T7 needs you to stop to turn of ABS.
like a GS

except the GS wont forget if you just use the kill switch (older GS, new and ktms remembers)
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #1953 on: July 03, 2020, 11:38:30 pm »

but cant say I did not chuckle at the irony that the barebones T7 needs you to stop to turn of ABS.
like a GS

except the GS wont forget if you just use the kill switch (older GS, new and ktms remembers)

Do what I did with my 701, disconnect the rear ABS sensor, and the bike "forgets' that it has ABS.....forever.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #1954 on: July 03, 2020, 11:40:59 pm »
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=249101.0

Rally edition

Will probably be same price as a fully kitted R1250GS

Sort of like a Ferrari cost the same as a fully-kitted truck.

Offline Beserker

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #1955 on: July 04, 2020, 10:08:24 am »
But think adventure bike ,on a dirt road, accelerating on maybe a slight sandy road. The squat and extended rake and trail will add stability to the bike . Transferring weight to the front via brakes and compressing your forks will decrease rake which will also decrease stability on dirt roads. Tar road setup yes but not on adventure bike on the dirt.

Subie, writing the above, I actually thought I should mention that I don't have a road bike, my 650R is the closest to a road bike that I have ever owned - what I meant with track is MX Track where the turns are sandy (I'm from the Western Cape - everything is sandy), and tight.

Squatting under acceleration is good for stability and traction, for any bike, in the sand it keeps the front wheel light and less prone to furrow and throw you off - if the Yamaha does it better than others due to design, it is a better design.

Transferring weight to the front wheel for turning is good for traction on any bike - hitting the brakes is s track thing though, won't due it on the (gravel) road  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 10:10:33 am by Beserker »
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

The following users thanked this post: subie

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #1956 on: July 04, 2020, 10:14:16 am »

like a GS

I think T7 will also keep ABS off if you use kill switch (not key). CRF Rally was the same, hated ABS. T7 would be even better without it.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline dirtWarp

• I crash like a champ!
« Reply #1957 on: July 04, 2020, 10:19:03 am »

Squatting under acceleration is good for stability and traction, for any bike, in the sand it keeps the front wheel light and less prone to furrow and throw you off - if the Yamaha does it better than others due to design, it is a better design.

Transferring weight to the front wheel for turning is good for traction on any bike - hitting the brakes is s track thing though, won't due it on the (gravel) road  :thumleft:

One of the many reasons why the BMW G450X sucked balls

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Online Noneking

« Reply #1958 on: July 04, 2020, 10:20:35 am »
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline IanTheTooth

• Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
« Reply #1959 on: July 04, 2020, 10:31:18 am »
You haven't got the T7 yet and you certainly won't have seen one of these, a Portuguese AGP PR7. with a nod to the G450X with the tank in the frame, a well known motor and ridden by a very proud owner Adam Robins who makes me think of the short Frenchman who rode the Dakar Tenere (Stephane Peterhansel?)  when he's on the bike. One thing about buying a bespoke motorcycle like this is every time they have to uprate a piece of the bike in production they send you a spare part in the post. So far he's had fork stanchions, a new rear axle and a billet monoshock mount.  He even had a cold bag in the panniers to keep his lunch cold.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 10:31:44 am by IanTheTooth »
The dog that caught the car. What now?