Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yamaha T7 - No longer a Concept  (Read 270269 times)

Offline @offroad

Re: Yamaha T7 - No longer a Concept
« Reply #2780 on: September 15, 2020, 01:13:20 pm »
Hope it works out that way and we are surprised - we should know in couple weeks  O0
Colin

2017 BMW R 1200 GS with a few farkles.

I never take the shortest route.

Offline CaptainCrash

« Reply #2781 on: September 15, 2020, 01:28:59 pm »
I have no problem with the T7 or Yamaha and had the bike been available and properly priced it would have been a contender for my latest bike.

I ended up with an F850 Adventure, which I drove out of the dealership 4 days after deciding on it for less than 170K.  It's comfortable and performs well enough for my needs. It has a 5 year warranty so if my Chinese motor explodes I get a new one. If that does happen BMW on call will come to my rescue so no need to camp in the bush for a month while I rebuild the motor using termites and braided palm fronds. Not only that but my local dealer gives me coffee and muffins while they wash my bike for free after my weekend getaways, it's an all-round win.

While reliability is a factor it is hardly the most important one (or KTM would never sell a bike). If you are over-landing through deepest darkest Africa, battling carnivorous pygmies and Tsetse flies, there are more reliable and easier to maintain options than any of the latest generation 'adventure' bikes. None of the major brands could afford to sell bikes that would result in a large number of warranty claims so while there maybe some differences it's not like the T7's will be around in hundreds of years for future generations to marvel at their reliability while bikes from other brands implode three kilometres from the dealership.

There are a lot of great options out there with slightly different strengths and weaknesses, for 95% of riders anyone of them will be more than adequate. So if the T7 is what excites you and you feel the wait and price is worth it, that's great, from all the reviews and feedback it seems like a good bike. It won't turn you into a Pol Tarres leaping like an inebriated Gazelle from rock to rock, or give you a bigger smile than a the guy blasting past you on his ready to race 790 (with his pillion dog for the long walk home) or give you a never ending supply of high quality BMW muffins.

Happy trails !!!

The lack of electronics is exactly why so many are buying this bike. I have watched many videos of guys doing long trips solo and they all mention this is the main reason they bought a T7, less stuff to go wrong and Yamaha reliability. I believe the CP2 is the motor with the least amount of faults reported by owners world wide according to a German study.

Not disputing that at all - reliability is always important when you are far from help.

The issue is the price that we are expected to pay for what is just a basic bike. The whole reason behind the development of this bike was to bring an affordable bike to market that was stone reliable and to sell truck loads of them. This has been done in most markets around the world but not here in sunny SA - here Yamaha has got greedy.

Given the asking price, as a business transaction, we are effectively paying for Yamaha to take bits off the bike that you would otherwise have been getting and this okay because it is reliable?

Yamaha did much the same thing in the outboard boat market - these days Suzuki has taken this market as the motors are just as reliable and they are cheaper.

Dunno I just see it differently, if i am putting money down then I expect reliability - I am not going to pay extra for it. If it is not reliable then I will walk past and get a product that gives me what I am looking for.

At the moment Yamaha has got this segment of the market cornered but hopefully Honda will release an Africa Twin light in the not too distant future and others may follow. Then its game on and the consumer benefits.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #2782 on: September 15, 2020, 01:44:02 pm »
With the death of bikes like the DR650, KLR650, XR650L etc from most countries I reckon for those riders will most likely buy a T7 then anything else.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #2783 on: September 15, 2020, 02:03:22 pm »
With the death of bikes like the DR650, KLR650, XR650L etc from most countries I reckon for those riders will most likely buy a T7 then anything else.

Well for the people who love to hate KTM yeah sure. For people who don't blindly stick to brand bias, the best single ever to be produced is still available at your local KTM/Husky dealer.
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Tea 7 for the masses!
« Reply #2784 on: September 15, 2020, 02:03:36 pm »
You simply cannot go sell something cheap at a premium price, because of a badge.
Go ask Mercedes how that worked out for them when they klapped a Mercedes badge on a Navarra, and hiked the price.
A thinking market will go look for the best value for money deal. That is where the SA market is, with their hard earned, but piss poor value currency they will think well before they spend.
Park the T7 next to a 850@170k or a AT1000@185k, and see how the cheap of the T7 shines through.
This is not a issue though, if the price is right.
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs 690 kaboem

Kaboef:  "Ek dink BMW gooi drank in hul koffie en muffins. Want as jy dronk is, koop jy enige kak."

Offline BuRP

« Reply #2785 on: September 15, 2020, 04:26:04 pm »
You simply cannot go sell something cheap at a premium price, because of a badge.

Nice summary, agree!
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline dieseldawie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #2786 on: September 15, 2020, 04:44:39 pm »

The last KLR's sold were about R65k I think?. We are cheap b@stards.
Where are my shorts??

Offline Noneking

« Reply #2787 on: September 15, 2020, 05:43:05 pm »
Yes, it makes sense to go from one donkey to the next......
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #2788 on: September 15, 2020, 06:03:05 pm »
What is the latest injury on your race horse ?  ;)
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #2789 on: September 15, 2020, 06:23:51 pm »
What is the latest injury on your race horse ?  ;)

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #2790 on: September 15, 2020, 06:51:18 pm »
In the price comparisons one can also consider that KTM's 790 will need a R12000 steering damper because the engineers did not do their work, and this bike is like aGS800, lewensgevaarlik.

Shame, it scared Manic so bad the man disappeared.

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #2791 on: September 15, 2020, 07:53:00 pm »
In the price comparisons one can also consider that KTM's 790 will need a R12000 steering damper because the engineers did not do their work, and this bike is like aGS800, lewensgevaarlik.

Daantjie, jou tikwerk het jou sleg in die steek gelaat in bostaande.

Dit is 'n R1200GS steering damper...

Manic didnt disappear he just dieted so much that no-one can find him. Or his shadow.

NS. Ons het een brawe mannetjie gehad op skool wat dit reggekry het om tik te vat as n vak. Dit was eerste seun wat tik gedoen het in die meer as 100 jaar geskiedenis van die skool. Alleen tussen al die meisies het hy regtig gevoel hy was in die steek gelaat.

I would love to have a T7, but since it's likely I'll semigrate to Angola soon, my next bike is more likely a chinese 150...

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #2792 on: September 15, 2020, 08:39:32 pm »

Daantjie, jou tikwerk het jou sleg in die steek gelaat in bostaande.

Dit is 'n R1200GS steering damper...

Manic didnt disappear he just dieted so much that no-one can find him. Or his shadow.

NS. Ons het een brawe mannetjie gehad op skool wat dit reggekry het om tik te vat as n vak. Dit was eerste seun wat tik gedoen het in die meer as 100 jaar geskiedenis van die skool. Alleen tussen al die meisies het hy regtig gevoel hy was in die steek gelaat.

I would love to have a T7, but since it's likely I'll semigrate to Angola soon, my next bike is more likely a chinese 150...

A Chinese 150 is a step towards a KTM........ :pot:

Offline dirtWarp

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #2793 on: September 15, 2020, 11:13:35 pm »

Well for the people who love to hate KTM yeah sure. For people who don't blindly stick to brand bias, the best single ever to be produced is still available at your local KTM/Husky dealer.
If its the one with the perforated airbox design, I'd have to pass.
Will be better off with a 20 year old xrr.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Offline trevo

• Bike: Matchless (all models)
« Reply #2794 on: September 16, 2020, 07:21:12 am »
Hope the T7 lives up to expectations, not like the Honda 450, still no feedback from the Rally Raid, maybe they do not want to influence future sales. Asking for a friend  :imaposer:
DILLIGAF

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #2795 on: September 16, 2020, 07:52:15 am »
Hope the T7 lives up to expectations, not like the Honda 450, still no feedback from the Rally Raid, maybe they do not want to influence future sales. Asking for a friend  :imaposer:

The T7 has been available to riders in the 1st world for over a year, and if it's feedback you need, please click on any one of literally hundreds of positive reviews from testers and very happy owners.

It seems truly to be one of the best balanced bikes for our segment, ever, in this class.

What the T7 may give away to the 790 over technical high-speed terrain, will only be missed by 1% of riders. But the T7's better on-road stability, wind protection and less vibration will be appreciated by

many more riders.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #2796 on: September 16, 2020, 07:57:58 am »

If its the one with the perforated airbox design, I'd have to pass.
Will be better off with a 20 year old xrr.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Is that the one with the kicky starter thingy? How very 1930s
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #2797 on: September 16, 2020, 08:17:20 am »

The T7 has been available to riders in the 1st world for over a year, and if it's feedback you need, please click on any one of literally hundreds of positive reviews from testers and very happy owners.

It seems truly to be one of the best balanced bikes for our segment, ever, in this class.

What the T7 may give away to the 790 over technical high-speed terrain, will only be missed by 1% of riders. But the T7's better on-road stability, wind protection and less vibration will be appreciated by

many more riders.
Thatís consistent with all the reviews Iíve watched and read. Given my early years of DS was on an IT490 and later a WR450, Iíve been following with keen interest. My assessment, it would be the perfect bike for my kind of solo adventures if I ever decide to have more than one in the garage.

The concern from all is with the price in ZA which we can only speculate about at the moment.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #2798 on: September 16, 2020, 09:11:45 am »

many more riders.
Thatís consistent with all the reviews Iíve watched and read. Given my early years of DS was on an IT490 and later a WR450, Iíve been following with keen interest. My assessment, it would be the perfect bike for my kind of solo adventures if I ever decide to have more than one in the garage.

The concern from all is with the price in ZA which we can only speculate about at the moment.

Indeed, in a market that is less than strong, this bike can be priced out of reach quite easily. Especially when it gets too close to tempting rivals.

Offline IanTheTooth

• Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
« Reply #2799 on: September 16, 2020, 09:28:59 am »
Lord Knormoer, there's more to you than meets the eye! I salute anyone who was able to start and keep an IT490 engine running, let alone mange to use it as a DS bike.
The dog that caught the car. What now?