Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yamaha T7 - No longer a Concept  (Read 256711 times)

Pumbaa and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
Yamaha T7 - No longer a Concept
« Reply #2800 on: September 16, 2020, 09:41:20 am »
Lord Knormoer, there's more to you than meets the eye! I salute anyone who was able to start and keep an IT490 engine running, let alone mange to use it as a DS bike.
I was working in Lesotho at the time and acquired the 490 because it was available and I could afford it. I later understood why it was so easily sold by itís previous owner. It was not the correct tool for the job by any stretch of the imagination but it was mine.

It was too tall, too temperamental and way too fast for trail riding but I persisted. I fell more times I can count but learnt an awful lot in the process.

It felt like heaven on two wheels when I changed to the WR in comparison. That 490 had just one purpose, go fast and mostly straight.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 09:42:49 am by Lord Knormoer »

Offline KaTooMatt

Re: Yamaha T7 - No longer a Concept
« Reply #2801 on: September 16, 2020, 10:58:12 am »
Hope the T7 lives up to expectations, not like the Honda 450, still no feedback from the Rally Raid, maybe they do not want to influence future sales. Asking for a friend  :imaposer:

The T7 has been available to riders in the 1st world for over a year, and if it's feedback you need, please click on any one of literally hundreds of positive reviews from testers and very happy owners.

It seems truly to be one of the best balanced bikes for our segment, ever, in this class.

What the T7 may give away to the 790 over technical high-speed terrain, will only be missed by 1% of riders. But the T7's better on-road stability, wind protection and less vibration will be appreciated by

many more riders.
Then please explain why almost all those reviews effectively say "at the price, it is the best-balanced bike out there but if money were no option the 790 is the better bike."

Now Yamaha SA has done all the buyers a favour making the price the same. The choice is now simple - do you want to buy the best bike in class or not?
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Offline peteb

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • There is no such thing as common sense.
« Reply #2802 on: September 16, 2020, 11:57:47 am »
Lord Knormoer, there's more to you than meets the eye! I salute anyone who was able to start and keep an IT490 engine running, let alone mange to use it as a DS bike.
I was working in Lesotho at the time and acquired the 490 because it was available and I could afford it. I later understood why it was so easily sold by itís previous owner. It was not the correct tool for the job by any stretch of the imagination but it was mine.

It was too tall, too temperamental and way too fast for trail riding but I persisted. I fell more times I can count but learnt an awful lot in the process.

It felt like heaven on two wheels when I changed to the WR in comparison. That 490 had just one purpose, go fast and mostly straight.
You left out the third caveat - and don't try and stop
Back in the 80's I had a mate down from Joburg, bought his 490 for a ride, told us he had heard about 'The valley' so we took him there. We ended up naming a hill after him - 'Callaghans Hill' (IantheTooth knows the place). It goes down forever. Young Callaghan - after quite a few 'offs' on the way down - ended up just tossing the bike end over end (he was a big guy) all the while red in the face and with his goggles on and completely misted up, but what really pissed him off was us sitting at the bottom giggling at the sight. That really got him mad. So to calm him down I took his bike and he rode my IT200. At one stage I was going up a hill, and the bike was just ticking over but wheelieing at the same time. A touch more throttle and I would've looped it, a touch less and I would've stalled it. What a beast. In the hands of a master (I'm thinking Tommy Trefz) it was a mamba, but not for mortals.
Previous bikes...where to start
Current bikes: 200 XCW, 250 Freeride, 950 Adv S, PE 175, 1 1/2 IT 175's

Online Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #2803 on: September 16, 2020, 12:04:55 pm »

You left out the third caveat - and don't try and stop
Back in the 80's I had a mate down from Joburg, bought his 490 for a ride, told us he had heard about 'The valley' so we took him there. We ended up naming a hill after him - 'Callaghans Hill' (IantheTooth knows the place). It goes down forever. Young Callaghan - after quite a few 'offs' on the way down - ended up just tossing the bike end over end (he was a big guy) all the while red in the face and with his goggles on and completely misted up, but what really pissed him off was us sitting at the bottom giggling at the sight. That really got him mad. So to calm him down I took his bike and he rode my IT200. At one stage I was going up a hill, and the bike was just ticking over but wheelieing at the same time. A touch more throttle and I would've looped it, a touch less and I would've stalled it. What a beast. In the hands of a master (I'm thinking Tommy Trefz) it was a mamba, but not for mortals.
That throttle seemed to only have three positions: idle, wheely and OMFG!!!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #2804 on: September 16, 2020, 01:30:30 pm »
Hope the T7 lives up to expectations, not like the Honda 450, still no feedback from the Rally Raid, maybe they do not want to influence future sales. Asking for a friend  :imaposer:

The T7 has been available to riders in the 1st world for over a year, and if it's feedback you need, please click on any one of literally hundreds of positive reviews from testers and very happy owners.

It seems truly to be one of the best balanced bikes for our segment, ever, in this class.

What the T7 may give away to the 790 over technical high-speed terrain, will only be missed by 1% of riders. But the T7's better on-road stability, wind protection and less vibration will be appreciated by

many more riders.
Then please explain why almost all those reviews effectively say "at the price, it is the best-balanced bike out there but if money were no option the 790 is the better bike."

Now Yamaha SA has done all the buyers a favour making the price the same. The choice is now simple - do you want to buy the best bike in class or not?

The T7, as is the 790, is an D/S or adventure bike. You pay your money, do your trip. But for your trip you need reliability.

The buyer decide how much money peace of mind, reliability-wise, is worth.

KTM should look at "service your own shock",  "roadside overhauling your clutch",  "build bigger arm muscles to tightly grip your handlebars", etc courses , offered free to 790 buyers.

Offline trevo

• Bike: Singer (all models)
« Reply #2805 on: September 16, 2020, 02:16:48 pm »
Took them 3+ years to try and sort out the electronics on the T7, could not get it right, now they need to get rid of an "old m/cycle" at a ridiculous price.
DILLIGAF

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #2806 on: September 16, 2020, 02:34:31 pm »
Price is a funny construct, i think value is a better construct.

Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #2807 on: September 16, 2020, 03:26:07 pm »
Took them 3+ years to try and sort out the electronics on the T7, could not get it right, now they need to get rid of an "old m/cycle" at a ridiculous price.

But it's not Indo-Chinese........

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #2808 on: September 16, 2020, 05:38:47 pm »
Rand gained 8% against $ since mid August, maybe time for Yamaha SA to place those orders  :patch:
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #2809 on: September 16, 2020, 05:44:44 pm »
Fok! .... haven't Yamaha SA ordered any yet? :eek7: :xxbah:

... hope their backup service is better ?!
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #2810 on: September 16, 2020, 05:49:00 pm »
Fok! .... haven't Yamaha SA ordered any yet? :eek7: :xxbah:

... hope their backup service is better ?!
You need backup for a Yamaha ?
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Choose orange. Choose Stihl.
« Reply #2811 on: September 16, 2020, 07:08:35 pm »
The rest of the world, with the T7 you get what you pay for.
In ZA, you might get less than what you pay for.....I am sure we will have definitive pricing on the T7 once the 850gs and AT1000 special is over.....
Dit verduidelik seker hoekom die KTM workshop soos `n army tiffy se workshop lyk, dus die ouens wat die bikes hier verkoop..... :peepwall:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 07:09:24 pm by Altie7deLaan »
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs

Kaboef:  "Ek dink BMW gooi drank in hul koffie en muffins. Want as jy dronk is, koop jy enige kak."

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #2812 on: September 16, 2020, 08:09:20 pm »
A container full of game changers is close folks ....
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #2813 on: September 16, 2020, 08:37:09 pm »

In what way is it a game changer exactly? They've certainly changed the game when it comes to new model turn around time
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #2814 on: September 16, 2020, 08:38:15 pm »

In what way is it a game changer exactly? They've certainly changed the game when it comes to new model turn around time
Simplicity in a age of techno obsession
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #2815 on: September 16, 2020, 08:40:26 pm »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #2816 on: September 16, 2020, 08:42:01 pm »

So a game changer by virtue of the fact that it changed absolutely nothing?
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Choose orange. Choose Stihl.
« Reply #2817 on: September 16, 2020, 08:42:51 pm »
Its 200kg and has 72 hp.
What would you want to control by adding electronics to this machine?

xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs

Kaboef:  "Ek dink BMW gooi drank in hul koffie en muffins. Want as jy dronk is, koop jy enige kak."

Offline teebag

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
« Reply #2818 on: September 16, 2020, 08:44:24 pm »

What a boatload of Nokia 3110

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #2819 on: September 16, 2020, 08:46:55 pm »
Its 200kg and has 72 hp.
What would you want to control by adding electronics to this machine?
Or maybe they need electronics to tame 160HP so whats the point. Rather build something that does not need all that complications from the start. I was watching the Every Single Sunday video and the guy was sitting at the bottom of a sandy hill on his 790 furiously scrolling through his TFT searching for the perfect map meanwhile the guy on a KLR and T7 was waiting at the top already  :imaposer:
J.R.R Tolkien