Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW G310GS  (Read 62369 times)

Offline lecap

Re: BMW G310GS
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2016, 10:25:29 am »
this bike is an insult to the market.
As said before: Susuki Djebel & Yammie TTR250 both two decades old had the same power + real suspension and weighed 30% less.

Not.

The bikes purpose is to look the business whilst parked in front of a trendy (European) Café / Bar and to be an economical commuter and grocery runner. Nothing more, nothing less. It does not need more power, be lightweight or havee off road capable suspension or wire spoke wheels.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2016, 11:43:54 am »
As said before: Susuki Djebel & Yammie TTR250 both two decades old had the same power + real suspension and weighed 30% less.

Not.

The bikes purpose is to look the business whilst parked in front of a trendy (European) Café / Bar and to be an economical commuter and grocery runner. Nothing more, nothing less. It does not need more power, be lightweight or havee off road capable suspension or wire spoke wheels.

Mmmm, agree toa point, by why would they class it under their GS brand (GS = offroad/road) if not intended for some offroad riding?

Offline bomskok

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2016, 04:04:03 pm »

Not.

Mmmm, agree toa point, by why would they class it under their GS brand (GS = offroad/road) if not intended for some offroad riding?

I guess when then need to define offroad?

I think in this context it means non-tarred. i.e.gravel. Looks like this bike will be more than capable of handling that? I've seen many RRs with F650GS (the 800cc, non-spoked version) tackling our and Namibia's gravel highways quite happily.
 If another person's offroad means tackling Die Hel or Angola's (non) roads then I guess that's not realistic, nor do I think that this bike is aimed at that, which has been pointed out a few times already.

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2016, 04:21:25 pm »
I do fear that many people forget the fact that manufacturers have to comply with Euro4. We worked out the other day that the requirements add a good 20 kg onto each bike. Also, people will not buy these bikes unless they have some sort of comfort and technology, such as electronics, a digital dash, proper seating, aerodynamics, etc and so on. The XTs of the past didn't require any of that. If they did, they probably would have weighed 40kg more.

Otherwise, why would they make these bikes so heavy if they could easily make them light?

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2016, 04:41:40 pm »
I do fear that many people forget the fact that manufacturers have to comply with Euro4. We worked out the other day that the requirements add a good 20 kg onto each bike. Also, people will not buy these bikes unless they have some sort of comfort and technology, such as electronics, a digital dash, proper seating, aerodynamics, etc and so on. The XTs of the past didn't require any of that. If they did, they probably would have weighed 40kg more.

Otherwise, why would they make these bikes so heavy if they could easily make them light?

Good point, agree

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2016, 05:09:24 pm »

Good point, agree

It still irks that the customers ie the ones who's money they are after, who should have the power to dictate the direction of the market, are actually the ones who have no choice but to be dictated to.  :patch:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2016, 07:15:58 pm »
Looks like we here in the sticks are missing something.... I see there is a Suzuki 250 V-Strom on its way too.

I like this small bike thing, but 400 cc would be nice, although I suppose today's 300's puts out more power that my CB400 Twin back in the day.

That bike was everything... tourer, one and two up, track bike, scrambler, DS etc. And with its size it was manageable.

A "revamped" Suzuki 250 Inazuma which has always been build in China.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2016, 09:39:17 pm »

Good point, agree

It still irks that the customers ie the ones who's money they are after, who should have the power to dictate the direction of the market, are actually the ones who have no choice but to be dictated to.  :patch:

Unfortunately this leads to an interesting point - on this forum and many other hardcore adventure forums, the want for a light, off-road orientated adventure bike is massive, but is this the view of "the customers" or, in other words, the masses? I'm pretty sure that it isn't, otherwise the manufacturers would build it, however that could be changing. After all, we've seen the Africa Twin head more in that direction, and now the Yamaha T7 concept. Perhaps trends are shifting.

Offline AntVan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2016, 05:10:21 am »
I am looking forward to a smaller, good quality bike for my wife.

On this forum we have the divisionists, who take BMW out for bikes that are too large to be practical. And then, when BMW do listen to us, we also take them out!

I want to test ride one, and if I'm happy with this one I'll buy it. I've tried to organize test rides on other brands but the dealers are not interested in my cash. And I don't even get a bloody muffin! BMW will have demo models.

BMW has good service, an excellent footprint and for this market a culture and lifestyle that will ensure safe motorcycling is instilled. ATGATT, club rides and a riding academy.

It's way better than leaving the new rider on her own.

As stated before, this is a BMW built elsewhere. Just as they've been building different series cars in Zumaville.

My mind is open. I'll testride every thing I can from a dealer. It's my way of testing after sales support. If the dealer or brand doesn't bother to treat we well before they have my money, why then expect better treatment after they've got their commission?
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2016, 08:35:27 am »

Because making a bike light needs some thinking and actual engineering. This is just a restyled Indian Minah.

Offline Die Malletjie

• Vendor
  • Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Behind every bearded man stands a tattooed girl!
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2016, 09:29:46 am »
I would rather purchase/consider a bike like this than the overgrown so called "adventure" bikes like the 1090, 1190, 1290, 1390, 1200, 1400 cc (where will it stop).

Many riders that have bikes with 60 Hp don't know how to use them to their full potential, what will they do with 160 Hp. Ego boosters at the best!

Mine is bigger than yours attitude but can they ride it where the 60 Hp bike goes? Wauwe 240 Kmh on a gravel road, stupid and what have you seen on your adventure?

Remember the days it was cool when you had the smallest cellphone, where are they gone now? Soon these same unpractical monster "Adventure" bikes will be history!

Sure the G310GS (or any other smaller bike) needs a bit of tweaking before it will be perfect but I can wait!

Been riding since I was a child, had many bikes from 50 to 1200cc and everything in between! Currently ride a 950 Super Enduro and if I don't respect it it will trow me off and I guess I can ride a bike reasonably well!

Time will tell but I guess the manufacturers will come to their senses and start building real adventure bikes again. Well lets hope so, we seen enough bikes built for the European "Off road". On the other hand how many Adventure bikes get sold yearly in South Africa? Think they will listen to us?

I am doing it today, maybe there is no tomorrow

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2016, 10:03:58 am »

Because making a bike light needs some thinking and actual engineering. This is just a restyled Indian Minah.

2StrokeDan, the man who doesn't read the whole thread.  :laughing4:

Which TVS is it rehashed from? I don't see any 300s in their range. Also, do you realise that you cannot import bikes 500cc or less into India? And if you try import into anywhere in Asia from Europe, the import duty is massive. That's why almost every major manufacturer in the world has a plant in India or somewhere in Asia.

On another note, I once asked a KTM engineer why they don't build a lightweight adventure bike. He said that they could, but it would be expensive to build, especially having to use ultra leightweight materials that are strong enough to cope with the stress of adventure, and so light that they'd need to overcome the weight added by Euro4. And the market for a bike tlike this is small, so to make up the added cost, they'd need to charge around R400,000 a bike. Who's going to pay that?

I'm quite sure I've mentioned all of this. A few times. To the same people. I'm beginning to suspect that they just like moaning.  :imaposer:

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2016, 10:07:52 am »
I'm beginning to suspect that they just like moaning.  :imaposer:

Goodness!

No!

Surely not!

:imaposer:
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline cheesy

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2016, 03:42:32 pm »

Wait 3,0 years before buying any new model, at that stage most of the issues should be ironed out. Q E D
Bum in the saddle, always.

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2017, 12:45:16 pm »

Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2017, 12:52:33 pm »
That's not a review. That is a Q&A with the project manager.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline Doggone

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Fairlands, Johannesburg
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2017, 06:48:25 pm »
We all sit in our own seat in the stadium and see the game from our own perspective which includes our own comfort zone. The new market is generation X,Y and Z, if I understand the segments. Thry see the world very differently to us. I am sure that all the motorcycle manufacturers have done research before collectively re-launching this segment. Light, easy to handle, trendy and eco-friendly, probably ticks many blocks for the new "internet of things" enabled generation. I think it is presumptuous to try to speak for them from my perspective. I don't think I would ever buy one  but my wife and daughter actually might................maybe.....just maybe....it is me who is the dinosaur?

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 07:12:07 pm by Doggone »
"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the Courage to Continue that Counts"  Winston Churchill
Bike History: 1976 Yamaha Chappy-50cc; 1978 Yamaha RD50; 1979 Suzuki TS125; 1980 Suzuki GS 400; 27 years of bikelessness ; 2007 BMW R1200GS - 125 000 km's , 2017 BMW R1200GSA LC (Lowered)😁 WOW!

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2017, 11:18:00 pm »
Has anyone read anything concrete on whether the GS version has tubeless wheels or not?
One would think it is based on the rims being cast / non spoked.
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Lem

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2017, 07:24:30 am »
Has anyone read anything concrete on whether the GS version has tubeless wheels or not?
One would think it is based on the rims being cast / non spoked.

I would easily tolerate tubes if this bike could only have spoked rims....simply because those mags looks kak.  :-[
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline paulb

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2017, 08:18:00 am »
Kry my G310R vandag , sodra die GS land koop ek een.
Better to have it and not need it , than to need it and not have it