Bikes with Spotlights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant650x

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
I did a quick trip from Cape Town to Mosselbay / George / Oudtshoorn and back to Cape Town on the R62 on a Saturday morning couple of weeks ago to pick up and deliver borehole pumps and water filters
Got on the road early in the rain and got back in the evening

I got to see as a cage driver how the Adventure Bikers get their mobile Xmas tress on the road and made the following observations

1) the most visible bikes in low light conditions and the rain were the bikes with the orange lens covers - these things work well
2) the BMW riders seem to be the guys with the biggest budgets to turn the bikes into mobile spotlight trees and these were as visible as the average car in the rain - not as visible as a bike with a single orange light
3) when it was pretty dark and the swines approached with their multiple spots on it got my back up and then I insisted on going full brights and spots to retaliate- it is far more irritating looking at brights and spots through a visor than a windscreen
4) a lot of the GS riders seem to only have the orange lens covers on the bright lens and not the dim
6) a lot of these GS bikes have a minimum of 4 spots on in all conditions that they have on all day or night

I also have spots but never use them when vehicles are approaching - I may blast a driver with my spots when lane splitting and a cage looks as though it may change lanes

Why do adventure bikers alienate the rest of the road users like this
I have ridden bikes for a while and understand that we regard ourselves as targets for doff cagers

Possibly something for guys to look at getting if they want to be more visible would be the orange bark buster LED strips that Chris at Flying Brick sells