Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The odd one out - Witsand 2016  (Read 1426 times)

Online Nimmo

• Let your regrets not be the things you did not do.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
The odd one out - Witsand 2016
« on: November 13, 2016, 08:33:20 am »
I had already done my trips I wanted to do this year, but when Tribes asked if I wanted to go I committed to a last 3 day trip for the year.

It was the HP guy’s get-together but I would tag along on the weekend.

I left Colesberg thankful for the cloud cover as the days leading up to the trip was to say the least HOT.   Witsand would obviously be a bit worse than the Karoo. I had been to Witsand once before for the Country Trax Sand course and it was ironic that I rode there without worrying about sand, confidence is a strange thing.  :biggrin:

First section CBG to Petrusville

IMG_5110 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

I have for some reason always had the best trips when I get a tortoise along the way and this was no different.  Can you imagine moving over uneven earth and at that speed the whole of your life?  If I had to allocate a name to them it would be “perseverance”.  :ricky:

IMG_5113 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5114 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

I decided on making up time and rather not take the Kraankuil road and head for Hopetown via Orania – I have heard a lot of them expanding and wanted to have a look around.

IMG_5115 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

After filling up in Hopetown I took the Douglas dirt road on the east side. 

IMG_5116 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5118 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

I decided to take the road via Douglas and do the road parallel with the Orange River up to Niekerkshoop. 

Now my experience with Douglas coming from Papkuil was that they have the WORST roads leading to their town  :patch: :patch: :patch:  – this was no different.  It is not that you can ride it, it is simply a road that has no “rhythm” - there is no sweet spot to ride it on.  You shake or you bounce – if I had to be brutally honest I was glad I was on the 990 not he HP this time.  :lamer:
From Orania to Douglas was UGLY – I pity the farmers there it was DRY & BARREN. :'(

Sections reminded me of the Askam road to VanZylsrus.

IMG_5120 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5119 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

Douglas

IMG_5121 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

One section was so bad I kept on having to push the GPS powerjack in.  At one stage I hammered it to hard and the power point’s bottom section broke of  :peepwall: :peepwall: – hence no more GPS.  I always have my roadmap with me and just made sure I did not miss any turnoffs.

IMG_5123 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

At a certain point on this road It made a huge Plato from which you could see the Orange River snaking through this barren landscape as a green line as far as the eye could see.

IMG_5125 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5126 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5127 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5128 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5130 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

Excellent signage

IMG_5131 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

I made Niekerkshoop obviously while the Koöp was still closed and had to wait for them to open.  :deal:

IMG_5132 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

CT110,XT250,CX500,R100RS,ZZR400,DR650RS,XT350,K100RS,R1100RS,R1100S,K1200RS,XT350,R1100GS,F650GS,F800GS,XL200,TW200, HP2, KTM 990  :amazon:
Sunset Chalets 082 493 8814

NIMMO’S Ride Reports

Online Nimmo

• Race Dog
Re: The odd one out - Witsand 2016
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 08:39:10 am »
The town has a enormous well built church but they have won the race to where most small towns were heading.  ::)   Every house had a patch of grass with a shack added to the house and windows were replaced with zinc as they broke.  Here and there a few mielies were planted and everywhere people were sitting waiting for the day to pass.  I thought of taking some photos but decided to leave it – was not good for my personal moral.  :-\

The road via Abrahsdam to the Griekwastad / Groblershoop road was also not a pleasant one.

I soon took the turnoff to Witsand and it was a nice fast, scenic road.  Plenty of animals though.
I made Witsand and turned out to be the first one there.  Got the keys to the luxury accommodation and unpacked.  It was a tiny bungalow but the linen and ablutions were clean.  It was cheap and honestly was what we paid for.  :thumleft:

IMG_5136 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5137 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

At some stage I heard Andre arrive on his HP and suggested to him to camp at the bungalows instead of away from everything. 

IMG_5138 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

While we were waiting for the rest to arrive one of the workers came to tell us Tribes had tyre issues and was on the section before the tar road.  I grabbed tools and tubes and Andre and I set off to find the poor little Karoo boy.

I have never seen a man smile as wide as he did when he saw us.  :imaposer: :imaposer:  I chalk it up to him seeing the white stallion he would differ and argue it was because he had exhausted all his snotrieme.   :pot:  By now a cable tie was holding the last one in the GASH.

IMG_5133 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5134 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

We made camp and met up with Transporter, Domino and Leo who had stoetied all the way there.  Jan and Johan came from Vic West to help Tribes get the numbers up which dwindled in the last month or so.  Nice blokes.
After making everyone’s acquaintance Tribes took the meat he brought from home out of his luggage and soon we were having a braai and feasting away.  (I was glad we went to fetch him :deal: :deal:) Life was good, and to top it all the heat was not as intense as I had expected for this time of the year. 

Some made a night of it, I however favoured my bed.  The 3 stoeties as mentioned coming from Gauteng hijacked a luxury chalets and as Leo mentioned had the luxury of AC.  Tribes and I however ended up feeding 100’s of poor little mosquitoes during the night. :o

At one stage I though just &#%%^ it lie open give them their fill and then it would be over – bad idea. :imaposer:   I made a mental note never to travel without repellent again. 
I had many a time during the night envied Boerklong in his tent and decided to ask him to sleep in one of the open bungalows the next nite - if his tent was vacant I would simply pull a "Julias" and take it for myself.  He however saw right through my master plan the next night and declined the offer of "luxury" mosquito invested accommodations... 

Just before 05:00 I heard Tribes taking his wheel off to put a tube in and was relieved to go and help him.  He had also had a night to remember.

IMG_5139 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5140 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5141 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5144 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5146 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

We had some coffee and set off to a 4*4 track Tribes arranged.  It was I, Tribes, Leo, Domino, Boerklong.  The operative word here was 4*4 route.  Leo’s pics of the dune at the entrance do not do it justice it was HUMUNGUS.

IMG_5147 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5149 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5151 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5152 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5158 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5159 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5160 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5163 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

And NO he did not put it down but made for some nice pictures
Tribes:

IMG_5167 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5168 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5170 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

In the end Leo, Domino and Boerklong did the whole route bailing at some sections but none the less completing it.  Kudos to them.  Tribes and I found a very nice family from Kathu and were offered camping chairs, shade and beer so cold it made my teeth pain. :ricky: :pot:

IMG_5172 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

Leo how about uploading the hill climbs video – that gives a perspective. :thumleft:
After the guys were bushed playing in the sand we headed back and met up with the others for a nice swim, chat and a lekker brunch.   :thumleft:

IMG_5176 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

We spent the remainder of the day watching rugby and exchanging stories.  By night time the people looking after us started a fire and had all of us drooling as the smell of braaivleis filled the air.
Sorry for the poor quality

IMG_5177 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 11:25:58 am by Nimmo »
CT110,XT250,CX500,R100RS,ZZR400,DR650RS,XT350,K100RS,R1100RS,R1100S,K1200RS,XT350,R1100GS,F650GS,F800GS,XL200,TW200, HP2, KTM 990  :amazon:

NIMMO’S Ride Reports

Online Nimmo

• Race Dog
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 08:43:08 am »
IMG_5180 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

We had a very nice meal (thanks to the caterers) and after saying our goodbyes to the hijack gang  :imaposer: :deal: went to sleep as we decided on an early start.

Sunday morning was no different than the previous morning – it could not have come sooner.  The word pin cushion came to mind.  :P

Tribes, I , Jan and Johan made for Prieska via Groblershoop.  In Prieska we went to say hallo to ETS and found the stallion from Loeries there as well.  Was nice seeing you Stoffel.  I then decided to alter my return route and got some local info from ETS.

We said our goodbyes and the 3 guys from Vic West and I split up.

I came home via Strydenburg and Philipstown.  The road was a gem full of short turns, twee spoor and large open sections across some “salt” flats. :ricky: :ricky:

IMG_5187 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5188 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5190 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5191 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5192 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5195 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr
IMG_5198 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

I made home by 13:00 and was bushed.  Two nights of almost no sleep, heat and sand had taken its toll.  However this made for the best night’s sleep I had, had in years that Sunday night.

Thank you Tribes for all your arrangements.   :thumleft: 

NIMMO’S Ride Reports

Offline Leo

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 10:38:34 am »
Leo how about uploading the hill climbs video – that gives a perspective. :thumleft:

Seriously  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Let me see if I can figure out how to do that.  ;)

Thanks for the RR Nimmo. Those flat Freestate sections makes me wanna ride forever. Did you manage to get your GPS going for the return section? Would love to get the tracks from you at some stage.

Ride safe.  :ricky:
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Sprocketbek

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 10:39:06 am »
Very nice RR, Nimmo  :thumleft:
I spent a few hours in Niekerkshoop in 2010 and it is probably the most depressing hours of my life.

What obviously used to be a neat little town is now a total mess and a social disaster.
For example, only the one face of the clock on the church steeple shows the correct time.
The linkages have broken and nobody cares to fix it.
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots." - Umberto Eco, 2012

Offline Draadwerk

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 11:26:18 am »
Lekker man. Dankie vir die deel

Online Nimmo

• Race Dog
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 11:30:08 am »

Seriously  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Let me see if I can figure out how to do that.  ;)

Thanks for the RR Nimmo. Those flat Freestate sections makes me wanna ride forever. Did you manage to get your GPS going for the return section? Would love to get the tracks from you at some stage.

Ride safe.  :ricky:

No, sorry Leo was ala ETS directions and thumbsuck at some points - was a lovely road though.

Hope Boerklong can load the videos he took as well  :thumleft:

NIMMO’S Ride Reports

Offline Bells Angel

• Puppy
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Young at heart, slightly older in other places
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 07:30:50 pm »
Thanks Nimmo, you may have had itchy arms & legs but you this RR has given me an itchy asr$e

Offline JACOVV

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 07:31:19 pm »
Toe ek sien Witsand - toe dink ek aan die Witsand in die Weskaap. Nie geweet daar is nog 'n ander Witsand nie.

Dankie vd deel - bleddie mooi fiets wat jy het!!
Life is hard - even harder if you are stupid.

Offline BMWPE

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 08:50:32 pm »
Nice RR as all ways   :thumleft:
Thank you for sharing
Rallye

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin