Electrical niggles with the XCX 800

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oilspill

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
So my XCX has 13000 km on it, fairly  hard riding, and she has started to throw up a few concerning gremlins. 

Blown main fuse:  A few weeks back the bike started then died completely after a few seconds. We are talking morse dood here. If it was not nailed to the perch it would be pushing up daises dead, parrot dead.  No lights, nothing.  I checked all the fuses, connections, side stand switch, ignition, everything.  Nothing.    So then I eventually  phoned Triumph and spoke to the mechanic who said it sounds like a main fuse but he was not sure where it was on the XCX 800.  Ok.  Onto the internet I found that there was a 30amp fuse located inside the starter solenoid under the battery somewhere, they said this sits in water sometimes as it is at the bottom of the battery box and degrades.    Sure enough after much digging I found it,  very difficult to get to as it has other bits on it and then the solenoid is impossible to unplug.  Apart from a clear cover, open on the sides, the fuse is totally open to the elements and it does sit in water, especially when the idiots at Triumph think it a great idea to take the seat off and clean everything with high pressure water.  Oh and thanks Triumph for not cleaning my pre filter at the 10 000 km service which thanks to your stupid cleaning was a muddy sodden mess, once clean and the fuse fixed the bike took off and ran screaming off into the distance like a scolded cat.

Brain confusion when stressed:  The second niggle was on my last outing belting up Highlands road (in terrible condition at the moment)  when suddenly all the orange lights came on,  the rider mode was flashing all modes at once, and she would not come right.    Not sure what was going on so I stopped, switched off the bike and restarted.  All fine until about two minutes later when it did the same again. Stopped, switched off again and reset and she was fine.  Hmmm is this a prelude to something?

Eish  I hope these do not get worse.