Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Learning photography  (Read 31344 times)

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kymco (all models)
    • View Profile
Re: Learning photography
« Reply #1260 on: June 05, 2017, 08:30:48 am »
Great story, GG

Always like the happy endings

Thanks - I tried quite a few endings, but I think the one I submitted works.

Not so sure about other bits of the story though - but it is a work of fiction . . . .   
Retired from Adventure Riding.
KLE500 & XTZ660 Gone *sigh*
Now Scooter Commuter & Softroader Softie.

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: June 05, 2017, 08:39:12 am »
You are going to sooo nail those sunsets soon... you are going in the right direction...

Loved your story, got a tear, and then another... :)
They call me Judy or Judes...

Online frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: June 05, 2017, 08:48:21 am »
Great story, GG

Always like the happy endings

Thanks - I tried quite a few endings, but I think the one I submitted works.

Not so sure about other bits of the story though - but it is a work of fiction . . . .

Rather that ending GG, than the realistic SA one where the photographer gets robbed and murdered but manages to get a pic of the attacker and which is later used to convict him (or something equally depressing)

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: June 05, 2017, 09:10:25 am »
. . . . . . .

Rather that ending GG, than the realistic SA one where the photographer gets robbed and murdered but manages to get a pic of the attacker and which is later used to convict him (or something equally depressing)

For me, starting stories is easy - It's finding an ending that works I find hard.

I am working on a sci-fi story for a competition that ends Sept. I like the story, but I cant think of a way to end it, so I may end up ditching it.

I was researching endings, and found two lovely ones - from Nobel Prize acceptance speeches nogal. .

- from the guy whose prize was for work on the virus.

". . . so to summarize, I conclude that the virus is no more than a bit of genetic bad news wrapped up in a protein"

- From Enrico Fermi - physics

{in Italian Accent} - " . . . . So we conclude that the probability that life exists out there is high, so I ask the question, 'Where is everybody?'' "

Offline XTZFegen

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Audere Est Facere
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: June 05, 2017, 11:09:54 am »
Wonder if anyone can help me. I bought the Canon GX1 off a fellow Wild dog last week. Very happy with my purchase as its the first time I am trying to use a proper camera.

One thing I would like help with: I used the Video option to record my daughters BJJ matches and when I downloaded the video I see it records in a MOV file. Is there a way to change this setting to another video file format as none of my applicaions open the video when its in MOV format. I just cant see where to do this in the settings.

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: June 05, 2017, 11:50:20 am »
You are going to sooo nail those sunsets soon... you are going in the right direction...

Naah. You ? You ride beeg bikes over unsuitable terrain, and then you get fazed by my little story?  ;D

Thanx.

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: June 05, 2017, 12:32:13 pm »

Naah. You ? You ride beeg bikes over unsuitable terrain, and then you get fazed by my little story?  ;D

Thanx.

Emotional darling, emotional... nothing fazed there... :)

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: June 05, 2017, 02:13:35 pm »
Wonder if anyone can help me. I bought the Canon GX1 off a fellow Wild dog last week. Very happy with my purchase as its the first time I am trying to use a proper camera.

One thing I would like help with: I used the Video option to record my daughters BJJ matches and when I downloaded the video I see it records in a MOV file. Is there a way to change this setting to another video file format as none of my applicaions open the video when its in MOV format. I just cant see where to do this in the settings.

That seems like a great Camera - nice and compact with a big sensor  :thumleft:

I have a SX60 bridge  I bought before my Nikon DSLR and it does not seem to have a setting to change from .MOV, so it may be that you can't.

May I suggest you start a new thread on this topic on the photography page and not this thread - I think it more likely to find someone who is able to help you there. - I don't think this thread has ever ventured into video (or voodoo which spell checker suggested when I had a typo with "video"  ;D )

The boffin sitting next to me said you may need a new CODEC for your app software, but I can't help you there - My IT is confined to the deep and murky world of corporate databases.

Maybe look for a file converter?? .

Offline XTZFegen

• Audere Est Facere
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: June 05, 2017, 02:31:01 pm »

That seems like a great Camera - nice and compact with a big sensor  :thumleft:

I have a SX60 bridge  I bought before my Nikon DSLR and it does not seem to have a setting to change from .MOV, so it may be that you can't.

May I suggest you start a new thread on this topic on the photography page and not this thread - I think it more likely to find someone who is able to help you there. - I don't think this thread has ever ventured into video (or voodoo which spell checker suggested when I had a typo with "video"  ;D )

The boffin sitting next to me said you may need a new CODEC for your app software, but I can't help you there - My IT is confined to the deep and murky world of corporate databases.

Maybe look for a file converter?? .

Thanks GG...appreciate the feedback.  :thumleft:

Offline XTZFegen

• Audere Est Facere
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: June 05, 2017, 08:19:46 pm »
Another help question. I'm sorry but I need to get this right. My daughter does BJJ and MMA and I need to set my camera up for quick action shot type photos. Best advise for settings:

1. Stop the blur. They move so fast that it's almost a complete blur.
2. When she is in the cage the camera focuses on the wire and blurs the back ground.
3. Is there a way to do multiple shots with clicking once.

If I can just correct these two things I'll be very happy. Sorry if it's been covered before and apologies if the questions are stupid but I'm completely new to this and would love some decent photos of her doing her thing.

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: June 06, 2017, 08:39:14 am »
From Digital Photography School:

So how do you minimise the impact of the fence in your shots? Here’s a few quick tips:
1. Switch to Manual Focusing – one challenge you may face shooting through any kind of fence is that your camera may not know what to focus on – the fence or the object behind it. Switch to manual focus mode and you’ll be in complete control of what is in and out of focus.
2. Get close the the Fence – ideally your best bet is to try to make the fence so out of focus that it can be barely seen in your shot. To do this one strategy is to get up very close to the fence – so close your lens has no chance of focusing on it. It may not be possible to be right up against a fence (shooting a lion at the zoom may mean you have other barriers in place for your own safety) but the closer the better.
3. Use a Large Aperture – choose a large aperture (making the number of your aperture as small as possible) will help to narrow the depth of focus and will hopefully through the lens even further out of focus.
4. Wait Until your Subject is away from the fence – if your subject is moving around behind the fence – wait until they are a little further back from the fence to take the shot. The closer they are to the fence the more the fence will be in focus.
5. Position Your Lens to Shoot Through Larger Gaps – This one isn’t rocket science – but if the fence has largish openings you’ll do better to position these gaps in the middle of your frame.
6. Avoid Reflections – if shooting through a part of a fence where there are reflections from the sun or other lights coming off the fence you’ll find the fence will become even more noticeable. As a result try to find a part of the fence that is shaded – or get someone to stand in a way that casts a shadow on the fence.
7. Incorporate the fence into your composition – it may be that the fence can become an important part of your composition – so consider breaking all the above rules to try that out!

So for me, I'd go closer to the fence to eliminate it, and then I would shoot with a much higher speed, so my choice would be to shoot on SPEED, and set the camera to 1/1000 to 1/2000 to still the motion.  Once I had a few shots, I'd slow that shutter down a lot and start getting some shots actually showing motion in parts of the body, but that can only be done from judging the speed of the movements... To assist with light, I may have to up the ISO settings, and then play with my exposure between shots.

Simply, set to Speed, get close to the fence, set for high shutter speed, take a pic to check for light, re-set ISO as needed. For small light changes, use the exposure setting as you shoot, and just change the shutter speed to get as much movement into the pic as you want as you go along...

Hope that makes sense....

Offline XTZFegen

• Audere Est Facere
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: June 06, 2017, 08:43:34 am »
Wow!! Thank you Malibu  ;)

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • View Profile
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #1272 on: June 06, 2017, 09:56:46 am »
XTZ - I was kind of faced with your dilemma here - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=202186.1220  - fence and all in low light

malibu is spot on

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: June 06, 2017, 11:45:37 am »

mmmm  - wonder if the story I submitted last year would have emotioned you ?

The opening paragraph was :-

" It was his left hand that gave him away, the middle and ring fingers barely half the length of his index finger. But Doctor Abram Ashili knew that hand was functional, because it had once tied electrical wires to his testicles.   "

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: June 06, 2017, 12:05:11 pm »

mmmm  - wonder if the story I submitted last year would have emotioned you ?

The opening paragraph was :-

" It was his left hand that gave him away, the middle and ring fingers barely half the length of his index finger. But Doctor Abram Ashili knew that hand was functional, because it had once tied electrical wires to his testicles.   "

Ha!  Sounds like a good dose of Eye for Eye!  Retribution Rocks! :)  (very sweet little smile)

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: June 06, 2017, 12:07:36 pm »
Wow!! Thank you Malibu  ;)

Sorry, forgot about the last question. 

You need to RTFM, and look up how to change your setting from Single Mode to Continuous Shooting Mode, then see below for some tips...

Here again from Digital Photography School:
Using Continuous Shooting Mode

It’s worth noting a few things to keep in mind when using this burst mode:

Shooting images so quickly means your camera will not usually have time to directly save your images to your memory card. Instead most cameras have a ‘buffering’ system that stores the shot up until you finish shooting. It then sends them to the card. The more shots you take the longer it will take after you stop shooting before you can start shooting again as the process does usually take a fair bit of processing power from your camera.
Most cameras have a limit to how many shots they will allow you to take in this mode. For example the Nikon D50 will let you take up to 137 shots (depending upon the size of the images you’re shooting) – this is more than most point and shoots but less than some DSLRs. The number of shots allowed will depend upon numerous factors including the format you’re shooting in (ie RAW files are bigger and you can’t shoot as many in a row) and the size of images you’re shooting.
Some cameras have a predetermined number of shots that they will take in ‘burst mode’. ie it might take a sequence of 5 shots instead of just shooting until you release the shutter
Obviously the more shots you take the quicker you’ll run out of batteries and the faster you’ll fill your memory card – so shooting all day in continuous mode will mean you will need backups.
When shooting a moving image you might need to think about your focussing strategy. Some DSLRs have a continuous focussing feature to help with this but in simpler cameras you might find that the focussing just cant keep up.
It can take a bit of practice to use continuous shooting mode in order to get the right number of shots. Some cameras are more sensitive than others when it comes to their shutter release and in some cases it’s difficult to take just a single shot.

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: June 06, 2017, 12:12:23 pm »
. . . .
Ha!  Sounds like a good dose of Eye for Eye!  Retribution Rocks! :)  (very sweet little smile)

Ah Ha. Malibu falls head first into my little trap  :biggrin:  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: June 06, 2017, 01:16:56 pm »
. . . .

Ah Ha. Malibu falls head first into my little trap  :biggrin:  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Darn right! It's what the author desires...!

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: June 06, 2017, 03:46:44 pm »
. . .

Wanna see how this one ends ? - But it has nothing to do with photography  ::)

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: June 06, 2017, 04:04:05 pm »
. . .

Wanna see how this one ends ? - But it has nothing to do with photography  ::)

Post it!  Just don't get me all emotional again... ;)