Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Learning photography  (Read 31269 times)

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • View Profile
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
Re: Learning photography
« Reply #1360 on: August 14, 2017, 08:26:55 pm »
Jissus Judy that first one is going to win prizes.  Its wow... :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: August 15, 2017, 07:55:31 am »
Thanks guys... As Gary Player once said "The more I practice, the luckier I get".
They call me Judy or Judes...

Offline JFE

« Reply #1362 on: August 17, 2017, 10:08:36 am »
Played a little with depth and "natural light" (although from the bed lamp).

Offline JFE

« Reply #1363 on: August 17, 2017, 10:09:37 am »

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Detroit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: August 21, 2017, 04:47:09 pm »
I like it JFE
Make it happen!!

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Detroit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: August 21, 2017, 04:55:01 pm »
Some pics from my last Thailand trip
Street dog

Home made transformer

Thailand is White skin crazy. See the add for whitening cream

Another poor old street dog
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:59:08 pm by Captain Zef »
Make it happen!!

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Detroit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: August 21, 2017, 05:02:19 pm »
Thai street life

Make it happen!!

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • View Profile
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #1367 on: August 22, 2017, 06:42:40 am »
Ja man Cappie, ek laaik :thumleft:

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Detroit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: August 28, 2017, 08:44:07 pm »
Thanks
Make it happen!!

Offline Tom van Brits

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: September 05, 2017, 06:59:41 pm »
I have been reading about long daytime exposures in the photo magazines, and I see one need a Neutral density filter. Common number to use seems to be a 8 stop ND Filter. I see these filters as madly expensive though!

What I read is that You need to put the camera on a sturdy tripot; do a focus lock and then screw the filter onto the lens as it cannot do a focus lock through the filter.
Browsed some more and see the 'Tiffen 0.9 ND filter' is R1200 at photodigital world which is much better than some other I saw for 4 x the price!! However; I just want to know from someone with experience using these filters:
1) Did it really give so much better result or can one come close in lightroom with post processing? I take one need to be rather exceptionally good in post processing as I found that bad compositions is sometimes not even worth a try in lightroom. You got to get the picture 'in camera' as close to perfect as can be to bring out the potential later in lightroom.
2) Have any of you tried a substitute like holding a dark sun glass lens in front of the camera lens?
3) Could I wait to lets say 'almost dark' on a good windstill night and do this without a ND filter?

I have the money for a filter, and too late now in any case to bring it down now. It is not an issue - I can buy the lens and ask captain Clarence to bring it down on his next visit when they fish around Gough. I would just like to hear more before I do purchase a filter like this.

I just think one can do super seascape pictures here on Gough especially at the Admirals (little islets)
Since I am so much 'house based' and mostly only allowed short trips I would like to broaden my photographic experience here.

Any suggestions other than my planned long exposures?

Any of your pics to show of here wrt long daytime exposures? remember the pic needs to be attached otherwise I cannot see in on Gough!

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: September 06, 2017, 12:48:03 pm »
http://www.alexwisephotography.net/blog/2013/07/07/create-yourself-a-neutral-density-filter-for-under-10/

How about this as an idea?

Thanks Judy I will see what I can do here!

I woke up very early and saw that the Orion's belt is visible through my window. Quickly setup the tripot and even used the self timer to reduce camera shake but unfortunately it did not really help or work. This was the only sort of editable pic although a mess....I will have a look and see what I can do to steady the Tripot. Unfortunately outside the wind is almost always pumping. The little tripot is solid but to low for stars - I intent to use it outside on the planned daylight long water exposures.

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: September 06, 2017, 01:00:25 pm »
This may help... it's a real "start" for each type of image...

Although I disagree about ISO, I always try and get that down if he suggests high ISO...

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: September 10, 2017, 06:57:50 am »
 :sip:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold, Honda XR200R  -  Sold, Yamaha TT500  -  Sold, Honda Transalp700  -  Sold, Yamaha S10

Offline Geriatrix

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: September 10, 2017, 08:23:03 am »
I tried to use a welding glass but it was not of optical quality and gave a horrible green colour cast even using the "easy" ways of negating the colour.. It may be of use for very rare special effects with black and white photography.

I used a steel coffee filter ( Aeropress, fine stainless steel filter ) held in front of my lens with very interesting soft focus effect. Again, not generally applicable but will be interesting. It will probably replace a stocking in front of the lens when a soft focus is wanted, plus longer exposure and no colour cast.

Sorry, I don't know why the picture was attached since it has nothing to do with filters, just a dry landscape.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 08:38:20 am by Geriatrix »

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: September 10, 2017, 05:38:29 pm »
The green of the welding glass is rather easy to get rid of in white balance. I only used the 'color picker' and sampled a white are and gone! The proble I am having with the welding glass is it is not wide enough to cover my either 67mm or 82mm lens, and there is also some 'glare/reflection.
I will keep an eye open for things to use and experiment with - who knows one may be pleasantly supprised on the outcome.
I need to try the 'mirror up' next time also - I just cannot get rid of camera shake but the tripot is also not sturdy even after hanging 'old drips' to make it heavier. I can now see why people trow big money at Manfrotto tripots!

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: September 11, 2017, 07:42:42 am »
How about just chucking the tripod and using a sandbag?  I made a few bags to sling over the car windows and use in the bird hides, just a bit of fabric filled with small plastic beads, works well as long as you don't have to shoot straight up... i guess you can fill a bag with anything, rice/sand/beans, etc...

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: September 11, 2017, 06:53:57 pm »
How about just chucking the tripod and using a sandbag?  I made a few bags to sling over the car windows and use in the bird hides, just a bit of fabric filled with small plastic beads, works well as long as you don't have to shoot straight up... i guess you can fill a bag with anything, rice/sand/beans, etc...

Thanks for the advice Judy, will certainly work on some scenarios but it just would have been so nice to get a proper elevated angle sometimes which the tripot easily manage to do other than being solid enough to counter camera shake. Take into consideration that we do not have any form of transportation here and need to walk with a backpack and also (although I am sometimes a bit naughty) survival gear. So space and weight is an issue on these hiking trips where one would fancy the use of a tripot in certain scenes. I do have a very small tripot that works great on some occasions. Since I really do love this kind of photography I am just going to invest in a proper tripot, a camera remote shutter release and a proper ND filter. I see ORMS stock a 'slide in' ND filter pack for around R1K, and then you just need to buy the lens specific screw on 'holder' for the filter set. The 'slide in' is recommended because the cameras cannot focus through the ND filter - so after focusing one just slide the desired filter into the slots. I love improvising, and do it a lot especially in my field of work where we also carry limited stock. One cannot afford to buy everything you fancy but I can clearly see that my photography is leaning towards landscape first and then birds/wildlife...

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: September 12, 2017, 07:39:11 am »
If you go back to the first pics you posted here and the pics you are posting now, what an improvement!  You just keep going the way you are!  This is not a inexpensive 'hobby', but fortunately, once you have good gear, you can use it for a long time!

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: September 21, 2017, 03:48:38 pm »
I was naughty and bought myself a new toy.  A Nikon D7100 with a Tamron 18 - 400mm F/3.5 - 6.3 lens.

I am now serious to take decent photos (in my books in any case   :biggrin:).

Here a few shot I took.  Most were cropped and some adjusted here and there, nothing serious. 

Please give comments and tell me were I am doing wrong.  I still need plenty of practice and hopefully will get there. 
Any advice where to correct will be appreciated.

I need to be ready as I will be practicing alot in the Kruger Park during October.   :deal: :thumleft:

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold, Honda XR200R  -  Sold, Yamaha TT500  -  Sold, Honda Transalp700  -  Sold, Yamaha S10