Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Learning photography  (Read 53968 times)

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
    • View Profile
Re: Learning photography
« Reply #1700 on: April 15, 2018, 02:12:36 pm »
My little Panasonic TZ20 is a bit old technology so I've also been surfing the 2nd hand offerings for updated models.

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kymco (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: April 16, 2018, 03:35:34 pm »
I got a nice surprise last week. 

I discovered I had some shares in Sanlam I did not know I had, and there are unclaimed dividends my financial adviser does not know about.  ;D

Please don't tell him. It's okay to spend suprize money on photo stuff izznt it?

I have a Nikon D5300, Primes of 24mm & 60mm macro,  Zooms of 10-20, 17-55, 70-300, a bag, tripod and speedlight. + assorted gadgets.   

My first though was to get longer reach - maybe a 150-600mm, and then I thought maybe it was time to upgrade the body, and I had a close look at the D7200.

But then I wondered if I would not get more mileage out of a nice compact - maybe a 1 inch sensor, not to replace the stuff I do with the DSLR (the camera club stuff) but for the "happy snaps"  and "social photography" that I am not currently doing..

Decisions, decisions.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:36:16 pm by GundaGunda »
Retired from Adventure Riding.
KLE500 & XTZ660 Gone *sigh*
Now Scooter Commuter & Softroader Softie.

Offline armpump

« Reply #1702 on: April 16, 2018, 03:58:30 pm »
NIKKOR 200-500MM F5.6E AF-S ED VR LENS @ around  R17 soon

Keep a eye out on specials if you want better glass

Offline Tom van Brits

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: April 16, 2018, 04:44:13 pm »

I discovered I had some shares in Sanlam I did not know I had, and there are unclaimed dividends my financial adviser does not know about.  ;D

Please don't tell him. It's okay to spend suprize money on photo stuff izznt it?

I have a Nikon D5300, Primes of 24mm & 60mm macro,  Zooms of 10-20, 17-55, 70-300, a bag, tripod and speedlight. + assorted gadgets.   

My first though was to get longer reach - maybe a 150-600mm, and then I thought maybe it was time to upgrade the body, and I had a close look at the D7200.

But then I wondered if I would not get more mileage out of a nice compact - maybe a 1 inch sensor, not to replace the stuff I do with the DSLR (the camera club stuff) but for the "happy snaps"  and "social photography" that I am not currently doing..

Decisions, decisions.

It's an itch and won't go away until you have bought something GG. Think most of us have that syndrome once hooked into photography. What I can tell you though is that a 1 inch sensor camera will not compliment your photography as an aspirant photographer (club stuff) but is a compromise although you will enjoy the mobility (go anywhere and always handy) thereof.

Another thing wrt the D7200 - It is rather big and heavy compared to your 5300 which is the same size as my 3300 backup camera. The main benefit you get there over that of the 5300 is dual memory cards but you do not do shoots (paid shoots) where you need a backup should your memory card fail and apparently they do fail at some time. Then it is a lot easier to shoot in full manual because of the front and back dials. If you mainly shoot in Aperture priority or Shutter I cannot see a reason for you upgrading the body because it is the same sensors. Another thing, you may miss the rear lcd that can fold (I think your's can on the 5300?) opposed to the fixed lcd on the 7200. I don't care about that because I just lay down in the field and take my shot but I did hear that the one girl has remarked that she will not be able to go back to a fixed screen.

I see you are into taking portraits of people but I do not see a prime in the 50mm class? Dedicated portrait lens (prime) will be much sharper with a much more pleasing buka that you would get from the 17/55....

However; whatever you decide on enjoy  :thumleft:

Offline Tampan

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: April 16, 2018, 05:09:42 pm »
Agree with what has been said and I've been there and got the t-shirt. If you want to spend money, spend it on the glass. Even with a higher spec body, your pictures won't be much different if you use the same lenses.
Good lenses can get extremely expensive, but the reason is obvious, when you look at the results. Decide on which lens you want or need and then keep looking at ODP, etc. They all come up for sale, some or other time and many times at very reasonable prices.

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: April 16, 2018, 05:14:13 pm »

It's an itch and won't go away until you have bought something GG. Think most of us have that syndrome once hooked into photography. What I can tell you though is that a 1 inch sensor camera will not compliment your photography as an aspirant photographer (club stuff) but is a compromise although you will enjoy the mobility (go anywhere and always handy) thereof.

Its the "always handy" that appeals to me. There have been many times I would have liked a memory shot, but I did not take the big bag along. Team braais, Team/family lunches, Project milestones etc. I suppose I could have used my el cheapo cell phone, but I have never liked it's shots except for Whatsapp.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #1706 on: April 16, 2018, 05:15:27 pm »

Decisions, decisions.

Another thing wrt the D7200 - It is rather big and heavy compared to your 5300 which is the same size as my 3300 backup camera. The main benefit you get there over that of the 5300 is dual memory cards but you do not do shoots (paid shoots) where you need a backup should your memory card fail and apparently they do fail at some time. Then it is a lot easier to shoot in full manual because of the front and back dials. If you mainly shoot in Aperture priority or Shutter I cannot see a reason for you upgrading the body because it is the same sensors. Another thing, you may miss the rear lcd that can fold (I think your's can on the 5300?) opposed to the fixed lcd on the 7200. I don't care about that because I just lay down in the field and take my shot but I did hear that the one girl has remarked that she will not be able to go back to a fixed screen.

I see you are into taking portraits of people but I do not see a prime in the 50mm class? Dedicated portrait lens (prime) will be much sharper with a much more pleasing buka that you would get from the 17/55....

However; whatever you decide on enjoy  :thumleft:

I'm not entirely with you on this Tom. There is Magnum (the most prestigious photographic agency - only by invitation) photographer called Matt Black, who uses mostly (I think exclusively) compact cameras for his photography - mostly 1inch sensor RX100, but sometimes also LX100 (M4/3) camera. Here is an article about him and his photos:

http://www.msnbc.com/interactives/geography-of-poverty/index.html

I believe that for people photograpy, or even other types of photography with big exception of sport and action (wildlife), these cameras may be even more suitable, because they are small and do not draw attention. If I personally would be looking into this category and didn't want the absolutely smallest size (and wanted to save money) I would go for second hand LX100.

GG probably is not looking into two cameras, but IMO one of the option is to get two. I quite frankly am not fan of those Nikon 5000 cameras - I think one would actually be better with something like D300s for peanuts, because of lower Mpx count and therefore better performance (and pro body - yes bigger, but quite frankly if you carry 5000 around you can do with D300 as wel). And as a second camera for walkaround candids LX100. Heck even D90 has great reputation (Judy, please comment as you used one), so combination of D90/D300s with LX100 looks like a very nice combo for a price of one new camera.

But then of course there are lenses. I am probably just being stupid, but to me combination of D5300 and 200 - 500 mm lens  just seems wrong. The whole point of that lens is wildlife and/or sport. And for that one needs fast autofocus and good buffer. So something like D300s or D7200 (or - ideally D500, but those shares better be doing very well  :))

Edit: and the small camera and its limitations have a way to force you really think about what you are doing, instead of just relying on cameras. Often you may need to come up with a workaround to something you think is not possible and that is very satisfying.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:17:23 pm by Xpat »

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: April 16, 2018, 05:23:30 pm »

Y'know I have always believed its in the lens, and not the body, but my cousin at the camera club, and a buddy at work,  have D7100s, and with my lenses I can see a definite image improvement on their bodies when compared to my 5300,

I have this 60mm Portrait/macro and it's a different lens on his 7100. I can't explain it, but I can see it. He took some macro shots and some portraits and they just seemed so much clearer and more focused on his body - strange. There is something there.

As far as my existing lens lineup is concerned I like them all except the 60mm portrait/macro - may be my skill but I have never got a shot I have liked enough to put into judging.

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: April 16, 2018, 05:36:45 pm »
And another point.

At our club, and I don't think it is alone, there is an element of "equipment snobbery". A couple of our photographers with high end kit never seem to get the results, while one of our guys with a d3300 and kit lenses often cracks the golds and merits. He is quite happy with what he has and keeps working on his skill, while the high-end user seems to be always blaming his kit.   

One of "snobs" tackled him at an outing. his comment was, "I am not good enough to take advantage of high-end kit."

And I suspect he is way richer than me  ;D

I think I have received a "gold" with every lens in my bag except the 60mm - I never entered a pic with it. 

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:44:49 pm by GundaGunda »

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: April 16, 2018, 05:48:54 pm »
. .  and W.R.T. a longer lens, we have two members at the club who use the Sigma 150-600 (Conteporary) - one is the older, and one is the newer version.

Both of them have put in great pics that I would love to get.

To me, somehow, the ->500 seems to be too small jump from my existing 70-300 that I enjoy.

Offline armpump

« Reply #1710 on: April 16, 2018, 05:53:45 pm »
Sure a pro body will help but also dont forget crop factor.

But i dont know what type of stuff you like taking pics of.

Offline frankmac

• You want my what??
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: April 16, 2018, 06:01:44 pm »
. .  and W.R.T. a longer lens, we have two members at the club who use the Sigma 150-600 (Conteporary) - one is the older, and one is the newer version.

To me, somehow, the ->500 seems to be too small jump from my existing 70-300 that I enjoy.

If you're thinking of birding and wildlife then the 600 will make a huge difference. You can be less intrusive from that distance.

I find my old 400 a bit limiting sometimes.

Xpat's post makes a lot of sense though and as I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't mind an upgrade on my compact

Offline Xpat

« Reply #1712 on: April 16, 2018, 06:08:46 pm »

I you are going to go that lens - whatever you do don't buy Sigma, but rather Tamron.

Offline armpump

« Reply #1713 on: April 16, 2018, 06:36:04 pm »
Nikon 500 x 1.5 = 750mm is ample when used with mono pod or tripod

Then next he can look for pro body :)

Offline armpump

« Reply #1714 on: April 16, 2018, 06:37:17 pm »

If you're thinking of birding and wildlife then the 600 will make a huge difference. You can be less intrusive from that distance.

I find my old 400 a bit limiting sometimes.

Xpat's post makes a lot of sense though and as I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't mind an upgrade on my compact

Old Canon 100-400 f4?

Offline frankmac

• You want my what??
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: April 16, 2018, 06:40:36 pm »

Old Canon 100-400 f4?

Yes, the Mk I f4-5.6

Offline Tom van Brits

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: April 16, 2018, 07:00:57 pm »

Y'know I have always believed its in the lens, and not the body, but my cousin at the camera club, and a buddy at work,  have D7100s, and with my lenses I can see a definite image improvement on their bodies when compared to my 5300,

I have this 60mm Portrait/macro and it's a different lens on his 7100. I can't explain it, but I can see it. He took some macro shots and some portraits and they just seemed so much clearer and more focused on his body - strange. There is something there.

As far as my existing lens lineup is concerned I like them all except the 60mm portrait/macro - may be my skill but I have never got a shot I have liked enough to put into judging.

I would like to believe that there must be something wrong with your 5300 then GG.

I have the 7100 (thanks to Martin) and the 3300

I did compare them with the same setting, same lens (used the Tamron 17/50 lens) and there was no difference at all. I am talking RAW and using Lightroom (again same exposure by using synchronies tab)

They may develop in camera jpg different, but in RAW it should be very much the same.

Offline armpump

« Reply #1717 on: April 17, 2018, 05:34:33 am »

Old Canon 100-400 f4?

Yes, the Mk I f4-5.6

Was never really happy with mine :(

Offline frankmac

• You want my what??
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: April 17, 2018, 05:41:05 am »

Was never really happy with mine :(

I've been really happy with mine and got some decent pics over the years. It is outdated but it's still pretty decent to the end of the zoom

Offline armpump

« Reply #1719 on: April 17, 2018, 07:06:16 am »
It was ok on non moving objects but as soon as tracking was needed it was hit and miss

The following users thanked this post: frankmac