Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Learning photography  (Read 51933 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • View Profile
Re: Learning photography
« Reply #1860 on: June 08, 2018, 03:40:00 pm »
My new camera was finally delivered to my daughter at work yesterday. It was on pre-order but I was in no rush since I can only start using it once back in SA in a couple of months time. Paid R11K and I see they are back on R14.5K. A rather good saving of R3.5K! Now I hope to use the camera once back to generate some income as well. Will keep my eyes open now for a good deal on a F2.8 70X200mm - then I am ready to do sport photography.

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef

Offline Tom van Brits

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: June 08, 2018, 03:46:20 pm »
 :) :laughing4:

Offline Piet

« Reply #1862 on: June 11, 2018, 04:01:31 pm »
... Will keep my eyes open now for a good deal on a F2.8 70X200mm - then I am ready to do sport photography.
What qualifies as a good deal? They retail for over R38k, but FotoDiscountWorld has them for R36k and I see there is a second hand one on outdoorphoto community for R19k (probably an older model...)

Offline Xpat

« Reply #1863 on: June 11, 2018, 04:38:31 pm »
My new camera was finally delivered to my daughter at work yesterday. It was on pre-order but I was in no rush since I can only start using it once back in SA in a couple of months time. Paid R11K and I see they are back on R14.5K. A rather good saving of R3.5K! Now I hope to use the camera once back to generate some income as well. Will keep my eyes open now for a good deal on a F2.8 70X200mm - then I am ready to do sport photography.

As far as I've seen, latest Tamron is the name of the game for 70-200 2.8. About half the price of Nikon, and - if the reviews I have seen are to be believed, better.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: June 11, 2018, 05:29:57 pm »

Tamron MAY be slightly better out of the box, I question long term reliability

Iíve read about dust penetration affecting some Tamron lenses.

Offline Tom van Brits

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: June 11, 2018, 09:02:00 pm »
To start of with freelance work I don't think I can go wrong with the highly rated Tamron F2.8 G2 70-200mm

It is selling at R19K opposed to the Nikor at mentioned R36K Which I cannot afford in any way. i will definitely look at secondhand offerings but only once I am back home.

Big oil I did read about the dust problems but only appear on the 'non weather sealed' lenses. I also know that ORMS has got a dedicated craftsmen that service and repair lenses should I ever (hope not) need the service but always better to avoid issues or lenses/equipment with issues. What I gather is that this specific lens is overall good.

Offline Tom van Brits

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: June 20, 2018, 02:12:24 pm »
For the Canon shooters....look at this bargain (if only the lens!)
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=225728.0

Offline Tom van Brits

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: June 20, 2018, 02:19:59 pm »
I love Lightroom and can't do without. Will ever be thankful to Expat for it. He also gave me a paid version of Photoshop elements 15 and I could not get it to work - register (It times out due to bad internet) By luck I once got to install and register Ligtroom 6 and then the laptop broke. Bought a Mackbook and Ri helped to download Lightroom CC and instolled by using my key - register and ship to Gough.
So now would be real nice to get Photoshop working because there is nothing going on during the cold winter months down here. Today is my mission to get this program registered and I will keep trying ...need a bit of luck  ;D
So much that one can do in Photoshop, like removing unwanted things from an image, enhancing through layers and so on. Did a lot of reading on the subject and can't wat to begin.

Offline Piet

« Reply #1868 on: June 21, 2018, 07:42:56 am »
I love Lightroom and can't do without. Will ever be thankful to Expat for it. He also gave me a paid version of Photoshop elements 15 and I could not get it to work - register (It times out due to bad internet) By luck I once got to install and register Ligtroom 6 and then the laptop broke. Bought a Mackbook and Ri helped to download Lightroom CC and instolled by using my key - register and ship to Gough.
So now would be real nice to get Photoshop working because there is nothing going on during the cold winter months down here. Today is my mission to get this program registered and I will keep trying ...need a bit of luck  ;D
So much that one can do in Photoshop, like removing unwanted things from an image, enhancing through layers and so on. Did a lot of reading on the subject and can't wat to begin.

Jip. Photoshop is amazing. I'm a scared to try it, because there is once again a lot to learn.

For now I'm only on Lightroom, and to remove objects you need to clone other patches of the image. My cousin showed me the "content aware fill" function, where Photoshop literally creates new content from the surrounding edges to fill in over unwanted objects.  :o

Offline Tom van Brits

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: June 21, 2018, 11:47:29 am »

Thanks Piet, yes I have finally managed to install and run Photoshop. There was another cd included for Macbook which I only now discovered  :peepwall:
However, at this stage it is Greek to me - absolutely different to Lightroom and much more complex. Lightroom is very easy to get started on and figure it out on the go, learn through mistakes and the longer you use it the more you get from it. I hope to say the same in a couple of weeks about photoshop but I got to bed late and frustrated with myself. I need to google a bit and see what I can learn....maybe need a dictionary as well because some of the terminology is beyond my vocabulary.
Jip. Photoshop is amazing. I'm a scared to try it, because there is once again a lot to learn.

For now I'm only on Lightroom, and to remove objects you need to clone other patches of the image. My cousin showed me the "content aware fill" function, where Photoshop literally creates new content from the surrounding edges to fill in over unwanted objects.  :o

Offline Piet

« Reply #1870 on: June 21, 2018, 11:51:35 am »
I've learnt most of Lightroom from Youtube. I'm sure that the photoshop tutorials on Youtube will get you going in no time!