Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: kilometres on standard DR tank and pipe and roadworthy/number plate-- a mouthful  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Boskind27

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
Hi can you guys and gals maybe tell me how many kilos you get on a standard tank. im bit freaked out riding without a petrol light. i tried to remember what my mileage was when i filled up... i forgot  :-[

Also can you suggest a cheapish pype for my DR, i revved for a car this morning while on my way to work and they didn't even acknowledge me pad :snorting:

Then laaaastly, i need to put the bike on my name tomorrow, because it was not registered before it doesn't have a number plate, do i need a plate for it to get roadworty... i need roadworthy to put the bike on my name right?
The world is a place to climb and explore.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
Range depends on whether any carb modifications and on how you ride - should get about 230km on a standard tank. Buy a plastic Clark tank - increases range, is tough, not too large, and you can see your fuel level.

Local exhaust (of the less expensive kind) includes - Stealth, Van der Linde, Scorch, Basson, Airage, etc. Best exhaust for the DR650 IMHO is the Titanium end-can off a GSX 1000

Yes you need a number plate or the oom at the test centre will send you packing ;D. You can register bike on name without roadworthy, but not much point in that for a road legal bike.   

Offline Boskind27

Range depends on whether any carb modifications and on how you ride - should get about 230km on a standard tank. Buy a plastic Clark tank - increases range, is tough, not too large, and you can see your fuel level.

Local exhaust (of the less expensive kind) includes - Stealth, Van der Linde, Scorch, Basson, Airage, etc. Best exhaust for the DR650 IMHO is the Titanium end-can off a GSX 1000

Yes you need a number plate or the oom at the test centre will send you packing ;D. You can register bike on name without roadworthy, but not much point in that for a road legal bike.   

Thank you. I found out i have to get a permit...then go to roadworthy and then go back for license ???

Offline Robin Brown

A standard DR will give you 24km/L and if really pushed 19 to 20km/l. Add an IMS 19L tank and like me you will get about 410km range. Don't fiddle with the factory setup and you will have no problems and stick to 120KPH on the speedo.
No air/oil cooled thumper enjoys long stretches at full bore.
Your companions will never be more than 5 mins ahead of you. But you will never have problems no matter the road you ride.
A Bosson can has always suited me and they are right here in Cape Town.

Offline Boskind27

A standard DR will give you 24km/L and if really pushed 19 to 20km/l. Add an IMS 19L tank and like me you will get about 410km range. Don't fiddle with the factory setup and you will have no problems and stick to 120KPH on the speedo.
No air/oil cooled thumper enjoys long stretches at full bore.
Your companions will never be more than 5 mins ahead of you. But you will never have problems no matter the road you ride.
A Bosson caen has always suited me and they are right here in Cape Town.

Thank u very much

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
On my 1999 DR I only got 145 km on the main tank, but that is giving it gas, with a serious  :biggrin:!

I would go for the 18 (19?) liter IMS. The 25l Acerbis is an overkill and to big (bulky).

Agree with Kykdaar on getting a local or GSXR cannister. :thumleft:

You will have to re-jet if fitting a more open pipe. To start with they come lean from the factory. :o

A few small mods to the airbox and carb will give you  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Boskind27

Awesome thanks. Did u import the 19 l? I am going to buy the Desert fox 5 l solong until I have funds for tank. Sjo ok I dont speak exhaust but will google... dr allready making me smile ear to ear...except when the Paarden eiland wind almost hit me off the road

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
I have an average fuel consumption of pretty much on the dot 5l/100km (20km/l).
The OEM tank holds 13l. The last three litres are reserve.I typically hit the reserve at around 200km. Then you have some 50 - 60km to find juice else you push.
I once managed to get to the reserve after 170km. Was in a hurry and pelting down the N2 to Swellendam.

If you ride the bike hard and off road and even more if you fiddle with the carb your fuel consumption will go out of the window.

I now have Clarke tanks on my DR's. They take 16l with some 3l reserve. Average 260km until switch and 320km until I'm riding on fumes. made all the difference to me. Yes you have to plan ahead a little if you go into the Karoo but price, quality & fit all favoured the Clarke.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Boskind27

Thank you. I will defnitely look at the clarke

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
Thank you. I will defnitely look at the clarke

Hope you do. Agree with LeCap. It is not the biggest of the after market tanks available, but if you put them all next to each other I think you will find that the Clarke is the most rugged and fit the DR extremely well - it also do not add to much weight.

Offline IanTheTooth

• Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
Ditto LeCap rather than Robin Brown's figures. Clarke tank works well always seems to be just enough.
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Offline Boskind27

Ditto LeCap rather than Robin Brown's figures. Clarke tank works well always seems to be just enough.

Who stocks the clarke?

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
Got my IMS from Off Road Cycles.

Flying Brick is planning to import a few.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Boskind27

Isnt flying brick by doing the 30L?

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
Isnt flying brick by doing the 30L?
Daai grootte is gewoonlik 'n Safari, en vrek duur!

Daar is 'n post hier op WD, waar Flying Brick vra wie in die IMS belangstel. Hulle gaan 'n paar invoer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Zanie

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
Na ons Cederberg trippie lyk dit vir my ons fietse se brandstofverbruik is amper presies dieselfde. In daai geval hoop ek die volgende nommers help:

Ek kry gemiddeld 21-22 km/lit (dit sal jou 210-220km gee uitsluitent reserwe, en 273-286 insluitend reserwe).

Ergste wat ek al gekry het is 18 km/lit (dit was op daai Swartberg Kruin roete!), so 180km uitsluitent reserwe, 234 insluitent met jou fiets.

Offline P.K.

Zanie...that`s about right. On a recent 3 day trip into the Karroo I averaged 23.89 km/litre...mostly slowish riding...stock-standard DR650. I might add that it was my first real ride on the DR after selling my Dakar and I am well impressed: it`s a FANTASTIC bike for the type of riding I like : pretty much all dirt 60-90km/hour.

Offline Boskind27

Na ons Cederberg trippie lyk dit vir my ons fietse se brandstofverbruik is amper presies dieselfde. In daai geval hoop ek die volgende nommers help:

Ek kry gemiddeld 21-22 km/lit (dit sal jou 210-220km gee uitsluitent reserwe, en 273-286 insluitend reserwe).

Ergste wat ek al gekry het is 18 km/lit (dit was op daai Swartberg Kruin roete!), so 180km uitsluitent reserwe, 234 insluitent met jou fiets.
Danki :)

Offline Boskind27

Zanie...that`s about right. On a recent 3 day trip into the Karroo I averaged 23.89 km/litre...mostly slowish riding...stock-standard DR650. I might add that it was my first real ride on the DR after selling my Dakar and I am well impressed: it`s a FANTASTIC bike for the type of riding I like : pretty much all dirt 60-90km/hour.
Tx for confirming

Offline Boskind27

Tx for confirming