Big Dual Purpose bikes: is it really worth?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Daniel

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
With the general rise of the cost of living, fuel, food, restaurants, ...
Is it really worth to ride a big DS bike that cost a lot of money to maintain, or to repair?

I mean what's the fun of riding on a plain boring straight dirt road, hit the first corner a bit too fast, loose the rear, and get a repair quote that exceeds half of the value of your bike - just for cosmetic -! Then the insurer tells you that it's a write-off, while there's nothing wrong with your bike. Just the fairing.

Are those R1200 GS Adventures, KTM 990 Adventures, V-Stroms, Varaderos, reaching the limit of the 'DS' concept?

And what's a DS bike anyway? Not a pure road bike that you can get adrenalin from, not a pure light off-roader that you can fall with without worrying about 'how much it's gonna cost me'. It's a bike that's trying to compromise, meaning you're not getting the best of both worlds (tar and off-road).

So maybe it's a bike that you can take you anywhere? But at what cost? Does the liability of owning such a bike exceeds its benefits? I think so.

So long live the KLR!