Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2017 West Coast Baja: The Race is ON!!!  (Read 30326 times)

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
Re: 2017 West Coast Baja: The Race is ON!!!
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2016, 05:22:24 am »
My feeling will be that it will be pretty much the same route, give or take 50 km.  3 marshal points will have the fuel for the lights. That will make it just about max 400km for the lights and 450 a day for the roadbookers.  I discussed this with Alex as I was not keen for the lights to be shorter, but the navigation with a GPS track only is trickier than with a RB, so I think 400km is a good target to aim for for the lites.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2016, 07:47:09 am »
Can 2 GPS be used, at different zoom levels? Or does the track get loaded once and that's it, off you go?
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Grolls

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Think Pink - Think Aeropink
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2016, 08:07:52 am »
Sub ....

Some nice questions and answers coming through - keep it up boys  :thumleft:
Think Pink ........... Think Aeropink

086 111 PINK

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • If it was easy, everyone would do it.
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2016, 10:18:45 am »
Just a quick reminder. Early bird discounts are closing in 3 days (7 Dec).

There might not be a 2017 Amageza Rallye.  (due to lack of sponsor & entries/ interest).

There might also not be a 2017 Livingston Cup if I gauge the interest at this stage.

If you have not done, or want to still do a real Cross-Country Rally in 2017, it seems the West Coast Baja could be the only one by Amageza Racing for 2017.

Due to the financial knock we took with the 2016 Amageza Rally, I am moving out of full time race organisation. I have no choice. Like I might have said before, I budgeted for 80 riders for the 2016 Amageza Rallye, only 46 entered. The missing entries (money) came out of my already depleted piggy-bank.

Seeing that I delivered on my promise to create a rally where guys could train for Dakar and get them there (Brian B, Albert H, Kobus P, Joey E, Willem d T), I feel no remorse in letting go of the Amageza Rallye. I gave it my all, sometimes I got it right (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016), sometimes I got it wrong (2015). But it was a epic experience. There ain't no manual for this! Now its time to try and resurrect my depleted finances. 6 years of epic financial losses will do that to you!

So the 2017 West Coast Baja could very well be my final cross-country rally as promoter/ organizer/ race director, chief slave, etc...  :o

PS: The only reason there is a 2017 WCB is because I told some new guys & the town of Port Nolloth in 2016 there would be one, and I don't renegade on my word!  :)

Offline Grolls

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Think Pink - Think Aeropink
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2016, 02:03:12 pm »
If I can
..... I will be there
Think Pink ........... Think Aeropink

086 111 PINK

Offline Chris Delport

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2016, 05:00:07 pm »
Camelman

I know there are quite a few people interested in the 2017 Amageza, It has been a long year and many preparations went into the Roof over the past few months, but I am sure in the new year there will be a more positive response towards the Amageza. I had good conversation with many guys over the past few days regarding the Amageza, we keep our fingers crossed..... 

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2016, 10:49:19 pm »

It will be sad to see Amageza/WC Baja/Livingston 'wilt'.  Me thinks it is an issue of advertising. We went away with friends on an offroad trip to Boegoeberg this weekend. NO ONE other than Mike and I knew about WC Baja and Livingston.  Most did not even know about Amageza.

On the way back (before I even read this post from Alexander) I thought about the issue around exposure and how to advertise the events.  Earlier this year the Lesotho challenge also had to be cancelled due to lack of entrants. Maybe we are at the crossroads in the sport and need to re-think our approach.  I have spent a lot of money in the development of the Rockfox Trip-CAP and roadbook units, so in some respect I would 'do anything' to keep the sport alive. :(  It might require a complete re-think to reduce cost but still make it a (navigational) challenge. The bigger issue is that once any event vanish off the calendar it will be twice as difficult to get it back.

For me WC Baja 2017 might also be my last attempt to complete the event as I am getting older every year,

Sterkte met die reelings Alexander.

Adie

Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Ruff

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2016, 09:29:38 am »
I don't know much about the rally scene, but I agree with Adie, exposure is a problem. Amageza is an awesome event and I don't think it has gone full circle. I don't think advertising would help though, you need to bring the race closer to civilization where people can see/experience the race and also your sponsor's branding/products etc. I understand that there are good reasons why it's held in NC though.

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2016, 11:00:35 am »
What will I do with all the spare cash if there is no Amageza.  Oh, wait...  :lol8:

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2016, 12:01:08 pm »
Would be a terrible shame to see the end of this big adventure. Can't someone be brought on to take it over? Possibly keep Alex in a board role or executive supervisor or something?

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2016, 12:15:46 pm »
Would be a terrible shame to see the end of this big adventure. Can't someone be brought on to take it over? Possibly keep Alex in a board role or executive supervisor or something?

I do not think it is a case of Alexander not wanting/willing to.  The issue at hand is a financial one me thinks.  You need to balance the financial scales, no matter who is doing it. Even if the dream continue (as a part time venture) the org needs to make a living.  That point is directly related to the entry fee/participant ratio.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Orangeswifty

• Please proceed to suck my
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Rebel Alpha Male
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2016, 12:50:21 pm »
I can fully understand the costs involved if you have a person doing this fulltime and he has to earn an income from the one race a year.
I was the first to bitch and moan about the high costs of the 2012 Amageza which is a pittance of what the guys pay today.
The current Amageza and all the arrangements and back-up must cost a fortune

Racing is expensive and I think people that have the funds to do it nowadays are extremely privileged.
I just can not spend 50k a year on it...........it is just too far beyond my reach.
But then again I suppose it relies on where you are in your life w.r.t. financial and family commitments etc.......

I sincerely hope there is a 2017 Amageza.
It has become a sterling effort to be praised and great event
We are blessed to share the biking fraternity together!
Do it now - tomorrow you are dead!
Real friends value loyalty regardless!

Offline Ruff

« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2016, 03:29:36 pm »
Think of the most famous bit of the comrades marathon. It's where the runners come crawling into the stadium and people cheer them on to push across the finish line. Now imagine you ride into a venue in Cape Town/JHB with your battered bike and dirt in every crevice. Spectators will eat that up. Those spectators are what draw the sponsors. If the event and the riders can get more sponsorship opportunities the event will grow.

Offline Rickus

« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2016, 03:56:48 pm »
I can fully understand the costs involved if you have a person doing this fulltime and he has to earn an income from the one race a year.
I was the first to bitch and moan about the high costs of the 2012 Amageza which is a pittance of what the guys pay today.
The current Amageza and all the arrangements and back-up must cost a fortune

Racing is expensive and I think people that have the funds to do it nowadays are extremely privileged.
I just can not spend 50k a year on it...........it is just too far beyond my reach.
But then again I suppose it relies on where you are in your life w.r.t. financial and family commitments etc.......

I sincerely hope there is a 2017 Amageza.
It has become a sterling effort to be praised and great event

Kom ons gaan ry die Baja met die groot fietse man....of hoe ??
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 03:57:58 pm by Rickus »

OMVAL EN OPTEL.....

Offline tour

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2016, 08:27:21 pm »
Rickus ou grootte.
ek mag jou dalk net join oppie groot fiets. dis mos te fkn lekker ekse

Offline tour

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2016, 08:35:43 pm »
ok obviously there is alot of peeps that want to do Amageza 17 due to an incredible ama16.

Please people talk to all of your contacts and see if you dont know of a big company that wants to Sponsor this cool event. Now its our turn to give back to Alex for what he has done for us.

Offline Cdp13

« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2016, 07:53:23 pm »
Just registered on the amageza website. Hopefully I will still catch early bird if I pay tomorrow...

It's been asked before, but do you guys reckon the range for the lites will be kept at 150km? Buddy of mine has a Husky 500 but will probably struggle to do 120km on a tank.
Wees jouself. Moenie 'n twatwaffle wees nie.

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2016, 09:25:15 pm »
Nee, gaan 100km wees.  Steeds te veel vir die KTM 300, tensy ek n agter tank opsit

Offline Cdp13

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2016, 03:49:55 am »
Nee, gaan 100km wees.  Steeds te veel vir die KTM 300, tensy ek n agter tank opsit

:thumleft: Dankie Bill ek dra die boodskap so oor.

Ja jou 300 gaan maar sukkel om dit te maak... CRF is jou voorland. Sou nogal die reuk van 2T geniet het soggens... vat 300 maar steeds saam en start hom net vir so 15mins elke oggend  :biggrin:
Wees jouself. Moenie 'n twatwaffle wees nie.

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2016, 08:11:58 am »
Ek het n fibreglass tank van n ou Cagiva Elefant.  Dink ek kan n rear tank prakseer.  Het net 3 liters nodig.