Loads of Guts and probably no Glory

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cane Rat

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
Met this couple from "Down Under" at our local bike shop in Richardsbay yesterday. They were on their way to Cape Town on this 25 year old Honda XR250. They have cruised most of Europe and came down through Africa on this.

They have covered 36000 miles so far and have only had 2 flat tyres and on this day, they had the chain and sprockets replaced. The Carb's rubber mounting has perished and it was repaired with a piece of tube and wire. The carb is being held steady with a piece of wire around the cylinder.

They don't carry much luggage, but the again, I don't think that little 250 motor can handle much more than it already does. The bike looks very tatty but I can assure you, the little 250 single sounds as healthy as the day it was born.

I never though of taking their names and other details, but they allowed me to take these photos with my cell. Just shows you, you don't need an expensive machine to have awesome adventures.

Cape Town guys, look out for them. I don't think they'll get there soon, but I'm damn sure they will get there

Wynand