Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Livingstone Cup: The ultimate adventure race (11-16 Jun '17)  (Read 9559 times)

Offline Kortbroek

Re: The Livingstone Cup: The ultimate adventure race (11-16 Jun '17)
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2016, 11:29:15 pm »
I must say I have a lot of respect and appreciation for what you have already brought  to the cross country racing scene in South Africa, even if to date I have only been able to partake online. I am sad though that I might not get to race a baja or amageza. When you don't come from the financial means to get into racing you have to be patient and work towards that goal of one day lining up yourself. I am scheming to buy a bike again and maybe get to race soon.

I understand the immense challenges you must face to organize large events and I sincerely hope you are able to continue doing so, or that someone will step up to the plate and carry the rally scene forward.

In this thread I think you have planted a really cool idea and maybe a wilddog can take it further or we can even arrange a informal wilddog rally, like the "collect places of interest"  idea mentioned earlier.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Firesquirrel

« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2016, 01:43:13 am »
Sounds interesting... will keep an eye to see how it rolls out !
Current Bikes :  KTM 690

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2016, 07:41:17 am »
Well, I understand, sadly. The Amageza and the WCB are probably beyond my capability, being a 47yo that has never raced before, so the Livingstone would have been a good gauge for me personally. The entry at R15K was a lot of money (personally not having had an income since Feb 2016), but I could/can still make a plan on that.

Respect for making the decision based on hard facts, and I wish that there was more money and work floating around SA, that would have made the difference imo. However I am optimistic about business, manufacture in particular, in SA, the results will be money in pocket and i hope for an opportunity to do a race like this before too long!

I am pretty sure you will be back....  :thumleft:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Rebelwithacause

« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2016, 07:58:03 am »
Ahh Awe, Camelman! Thanks for taking a stab at this anyway! Was super amped for this, but understand the realities you are talking about! What you have done was already a big step to actually getting something like this going, without the first step you will never make it! Maybe later.

:thumleft:

I like what Kortbroek said, maybe we can do something like that.

:ricky: :ricky: :ricky:
"Once the mind has been expanded, it can never go back to its previous dimensions"

Offline Cdp13

« Reply #124 on: December 08, 2016, 04:28:41 pm »
Awesome idea. Sad to hear it's not happening.

We met Alex in Riemvasmaak, he was marking tracks and recce work. It is not easy ladies and gents.

I for one am very sad coz these past 3/4 years I've been saying "one day, one day I will ride Amageza". But alas, respect to you Alex, and I'll see you in Port in March.

Cheers
Wees jouself. Moenie 'n twatwaffle wees nie.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #125 on: December 12, 2016, 09:01:14 am »
Ai Alexander, its been a tough road for you but I am so grateful for all you have done for rally raid in RSA. :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

I will continue to hope that you do well from the Baja and perhaps, just maybe you might give it another bash after the success of this years Amageza and 2017 Baja.

Financially its been a battle, just a pity the naysayers did not cut you any slack and give you a chance.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:02:49 am by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #126 on: December 12, 2016, 09:32:29 am »
I broke a tooth on my F800GS rear sprocket, so I'm using my 690 for commuting.  It almost never gets ridden outside of Amageza or set-up tests for the rallies.  I just think it will be huge pity not to be able to stretch its legs again in an environment it was so perfectly suited for.

Offline Cdp13

« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2016, 09:40:59 am »
I broke a tooth on my F800GS rear sprocket, so I'm using my 690 for commuting.  It almost never gets ridden outside of Amageza or set-up tests for the rallies.  I just think it will be huge pity not to be able to stretch its legs again in an environment it was so perfectly suited for.

Meerkat jy op die 690?? Of slegs op die 800...
Wees jouself. Moenie 'n twatwaffle wees nie.

Offline Orangeswifty

• Please proceed to suck my
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Rebel Alpha Male
« Reply #128 on: December 12, 2016, 11:02:50 am »
It really would be a sorry sight to see the end of the Amageza.
I think it was growing nicely in stature and legend
But Allas..............what Alex says is true..........too little competitors do not bake the cake.
Today's challenging economic environment in SA surely makes it difficult to really commit to spending the money necessary to compete in this awesome environment.
Having done the 2012 Amageza, it was a dream of mine to do another.
Especially because the routes and riding terrain seemed so impressive in the 2015 and 2016 events.
I think Alex gained a lot of valuable knowledge in the process and his contacts and organisational skills can not be bought.
Me thinks it would be a good idea for anyone who wants to restart the project or similar event to employ him to do just that going forward.

All the best going forward Alex..........you gave it a good shot!

Swifty
We are blessed to share the biking fraternity together!
Do it now - tomorrow you are dead!
Real friends value loyalty regardless!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #129 on: December 12, 2016, 01:55:22 pm »
aah sucks. I only saw this thread now.
Amageza is too challenging and expensive for me, so I thought this will finally be something I can do. Something a big bike can actually do with minimal modifications.

On a side note, why not also advertise these events on the facebook groups? Tere is many thousands of riders, many which are very good riders but have not even heard of Wilddogs.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Buff

« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2016, 02:15:40 pm »
As much as I read about these events and get terribly excited about them and froth at the bum at the prospect of riding them all, there’s only so much a salaried man with a young family and a limited amount of leave can achieve in one year  :(

Good luck with your plans going forward Alex, I hope I see you at the start line of the Tankwa Rally in Sept so you can also enjoy some good racing for a change  :thumleft: :ricky:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2016, 02:49:37 pm »
Alex don't be put off by the lack of response from WildDog members, as said above, there are thousands of riders out there who might be interested in your adventure race who aren't members of WildDogs and who haven't heard about your plans.

I would advertise on as many mediums as possible before I decide that the poor response is not worth carrying on with your ideas.

As an example, for the past 2 years I have helped put together an annual off-road and dual sport ride called the Bundu Bash. I put a lot of effort into finding new routes and tracks, but the response from WildDog members is non-existant. Not one WildDog member last year and no interest so far this year. We still had over 50 bikes last year and expect even more this year, so I am more than happy with the numbers

Keep the dream Alex, there are lots of riders out there who would love to do your ride.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2016, 02:52:42 pm »
Alex don't be put off by the lack of response from WildDog members, as said above, there are thousands of riders out there who might be interested in your adventure race who aren't members of WildDogs and who haven't heard about your plans.

I would advertise on as many mediums as possible before I decide that the poor response is not worth carrying on with your ideas.

As an example, for the past 2 years I have helped put together an annual off-road and dual sport ride called the Bundu Bash. I put a lot of effort into finding new routes and tracks, but the response from WildDog members is non-existant. Not one WildDog member last year and no interest so far this year. We still had over 50 bikes last year and expect even more this year, so I am more than happy with the numbers

Keep the dream Alex, there are lots of riders out there who would love to do your ride.

Link to some more info please? Sounds interesting

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2016, 04:22:47 pm »
As much as I read about these events and get terribly excited about them and froth at the bum at the prospect of riding them all, there’s only so much a salaried man with a young family and a limited amount of leave can achieve in one year  :(

Good luck with your plans going forward Alex, I hope I see you at the start line of the Tankwa Rally in Sept so you can also enjoy some good racing for a change  :thumleft: :ricky:

Now there is a plan Alex come ride Tankwa in Sept - you have ridden with us before, you are always welcome.
No Road like Off-Road

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2016, 04:53:10 pm »
Ok, I thought I might view it from 'the other side'.

It is not only about the money, it's not only about the exposure, it's not only about the dream, it is about MUCH MUCH MORE.

Just imagine Johnny Racer had an off and hurt his ankle around 3:50pm.  He can't stand on the foot,  They leading and (there are R200 000.00 prize money at stake) decide to help him to get going as the track is open and manageable without the use of his right foot. After a few minutes the track became more difficult and he has another oopsie and he instinctively put his foot down. GWHARR, now he cant even move his foot. Reality set in and his mates press the 'Send the helicopter' button.  'We are on our way' and the chopper 'race' to the front end to pick Johnny up.  Few minutes later Pietie Slowgo brake for a cow and his teammate ram him from behind.  Both riders down. Bla Bla bla. Press the "I'm in pain, come help me button".  The only chopper is now heading the other direction,  Nearest help is 120km (rocky tweespoor) away, it is 4:20pm.

In my books this is where I draw the line w.r.t risk, responsibility, etc etc.  None of the riders above were in any life threatening position, but mark my words, the org will never hear the end from the friends and family of whomever was not 'rescued' immediately. He paid and WANT attention, whether he NEED it or not. Just look at the social media after the Roof incident.

To sum it all up.  MONEY IS NOT THE direct ISSUE, there are much more that 'forced' Alexander to re-think.  I did not dream this up, just go and read his post again.
If you look at the logistics and support at the other rallies there are mostly TWO helicopters and 'a few' ambulances.  I think the target is to reach anyone within 30 minutes???

I am disappointed about this as full on adventure is close to my heart, but reality is not on Discovery channel, 80% of that is fake (except Jourcy Shores).

So with that off my mind I think we need to put this to rest and not try and 'force' Alexander to re-consider hie decision.  When time is right it will happen again.

Just my 5 c

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline boland

« Reply #135 on: December 12, 2016, 05:43:10 pm »
It might be off-topic so sorry for that. I think the main thing  is that we would like to race our dual sport bike without much modification necessary. Another very important factor like Buff mentioned for many is money and time.

While spectating the Toyota dealer Rally earlier this year I thought how great it would be to have a rally like this for adventure bikes. Almost like the offroad races held for plastics, but instead of doing laps of the same 30 km stage you can have 5 - 10 different "stages" like a rally. The route should be marked so no roadbook/gps is necessary and it all can be done over a weekend. It also doesn't need to be in the bundus necessarily.

I know absolutely nothing, just thought something like this could be fun.

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
« Reply #136 on: December 12, 2016, 08:18:34 pm »

Meerkat jy op die 690?? Of slegs op die 800...

My bikes het almal seats.  Hulle so gekoop.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #137 on: December 12, 2016, 11:40:23 pm »
It might be off-topic so sorry for that. I think the main thing  is that we would like to race our dual sport bike without much modification necessary. Another very important factor like Buff mentioned for many is money and time.

While spectating the Toyota dealer Rally earlier this year I thought how great it would be to have a rally like this for adventure bikes. Almost like the offroad races held for plastics, but instead of doing laps of the same 30 km stage you can have 5 - 10 different "stages" like a rally. The route should be marked so no roadbook/gps is necessary and it all can be done over a weekend. It also doesn't need to be in the bundus necessarily.

+1 

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #138 on: December 13, 2016, 08:10:09 am »

+1 

Agreed. cheaper, there is no choppers necessary maybe one or two ambulances, well laid out routes not a navigational challenge but an endurance riding challenge.
I have done an iron butt on gravel (1600km in 24hr) and would love something like this where there is a lot of bikes on the same route.
And if a 450 can do the route faster or better than a 1200 then the route was laid out wrong, it needs to be long yet challenging/engaging.

As a side note, not exactly applicable, but still, the GStrophy and the NDBA dont have choppers and 10 ambulances but also cater for a lot of riders. I would like something like this tweaked, to include tough terrain and hard endurance riding, sleeping at a different spot every night sommer next to the road. An event that is not over-organised as that increase costs. If the costs increase you start to attract more and more professional and supported riders, which would make it less attractive for me, I have a day job and a family and cant compete with that.

Basically, we must start a thread, discuss and arrange a route, a start time, add some incentives like routes not normally accessible to the public, organise a few backup vehicles with trailers, and do it.
Check the Australian KTM rally/get together thing, that also looks epic. (think also Australian GS trophy something)

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
« Reply #139 on: December 13, 2016, 08:29:38 am »
Counter point:  If a 1200GS is faster than a 450 over a route then its not something I want to do.