Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Livingstone Cup: The ultimate adventure race (11-16 Jun '17)  (Read 9594 times)

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • If it was easy, everyone would do it.
    • Amageza Rallye
The Livingstone Cup: The ultimate adventure race (11-16 Jun '17)
« on: November 25, 2016, 10:39:40 am »
I have been contemplating this for a while. When Amageza started it was for big bikes. The distances were long and the terrain less technical. Now that the Amageza Rallye is part of the FIM Scene the terrain is technical and the bikes smaller. So how can we get the big boys to be part of this fun.

So I thought, Cannon-Ball... on a road-book.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

In my head I see a bunch of riders lined up on a salt pan. Their bikes are loaded with everything they may need for 4000km of gravel and off-road. They are assembled in teams, some two, some four. They have a navigator with a road-book, a mechanic and other riders in the team, all loaded with various parts to ensure they get to the end. They have tents and sleeping bags, some without tents, planning to sacrifice luxury for maneuverability. Some riders are on big 1200cc bikes, others on 600cc-1000cc bikes. They line up on the pan, on foot, line abreast. They are ready to run. Some with their helmets on, some in barely any kit. They are ready to hoof it on foot. Their bikes are parked 100m in the distance. They can just see their road-book lying next to a flag with their number displayed, 50m ahead. Deadly silence...The gun-shot sounds and the fastest rider of each team runs to fetch the road-book. It's his responsibility to navigate his team. The team leader is urging his slower team mates on. They get to their bikes. Some teams were clever and got a seasoned Amageza Rallye rider as their navigator. He is busy loading the road-book into the reader, while his team-mates are starting up their bikes. He fumbles a little, the paper is jammed. Next to him the navigator from the other team has managed to load his road-book. He shouts at his team-mates and they roar off over the pan, following the navigator flat taps!

The first day passes by in a flash. They ride from sun-rise to sun-set. A team was lucky and sun-set found them in a small town or village where they can overnight. Team XXX riders were faster, they are ahead and somewhere in the open. They pitch camp and eat whatever they have on them. Early night the navigator marks the road-book. The computer wiz is working the route on the GPS, finding the best path. The first time he has time to do so since getting the new road-book a couple of hours back. The team leader receives a SMS on the Satellite phone. They are in the lead. The team closest to them had to wait at the marshal point to serve a time penalty for speeding, and had no credit in their Time-Bank. The team leader smiles. He's team rode their bikes a thousand kilometers to get to the start. His team has 500 seconds in credit he can use should they need it to negate a time penalty. He shuts off his headlight. His last thought is of the 3100 kilometers remaining, and what he would buy with his share of the R200 000 first prize.

----------------------------------------------------------------

While driving the thousands of k's for the Amageza Rallye, I jotted down a couple of basics. It has now already morphed into a 5 page document. Having opened discussions with Motorsport South Africa and FIM Africa the basics has been formed.

To my knowledge this has never been tried world-wide before, but being South African, we seldom let that stand in our way, do we! Personally I absolutely LOVE IT! So if you like it, and can afford the R15 000 entry fee, please vote above. If enough of you seem genuinely interested, I will make it happen.

PLEASE... Before you get into the 'why is it so expensive', please take into account that a Mc Donalds burger is also expensive when you look at what is in there. But do you grab the manager and ask him why? Nope. I think not so. As with anything there are costs involved. Some you can see like the burger patty and bun. Others like the shop, the staff, the accountants, bank charges, etc you cannot see. That does not mean it does not exist, you just don't know about it! I don't understand why a loaf of bread costs R20, yet I still buy it. I also don't grab the auntie at the bread counter and ask her how can she sell a Albany bread for R20! If I can't afford it, I stay quiet and walk past to the R11 Checkers bread.  ;D

Here are the basics below. Remember to vote. Your vote will decide if this will become a reality. If none of you want to do it, then Bill the Bong and I will do it. I'm sure I'll beat him over 100 meters.  ;D
  • This is a team event. Teams must consist of 2 or more members.
  • The objective of the event is to complete a set course in the least time while following the road-book scroll provided
  • To receive a finishers medal, team members are required to do 100% of the route on the motorcycle they started with.
  • Each entrant will be notified 12 hours prior to the start of the event, of the location of the registration point by means of a SMS with coordinates.
  • Every team must nominate their starting point with a GPS location.
  • Team members will receive time in their Time-Vault at the rate of 1 km=30 sec for riding to the start. This may be used to pay a time-penalty during the event and may be transferred between team members. Entrants must have their SPOT tracker on for the duration and hand in their GP at registration for a time credit.
  • The start is Le  Man style. Team members will receive their road-book 50 meters from their bike. You have to get to your road book, then to your bike. You can opt to mark it, or not. But the clock is ticking.
  • Each rider is required to have a Garmin GPS with a USB port. Any GPS may be used. It is the responsibility of the entrant to ensure his/ her GPS is able to be mounted as a external drive on any Windows Computer for transfer of the entrant track.
  • Any other navigation device or computer may be used to assist with navigation.
  • Each team is required to have one Satellite phone.
  • Each entrant is required to have medical cover. (MSA medical cover is being investigated)
  • Each rider is required to have a SPOT Gen 3 satellite tracker. Each tracker is required to be pre-registered on the Amageza Racing Tracking system via a third-party service provider. (This can be your own device or rented.)
  • Riders are allowed any mechanical support any time, any where.
  • The prize purse is calculated as R3 500 per entrant. So 100% of the purse at 100 entries is R350 000.
  • The winning team will receive 20% of the purse. So if the entry fee is R10 000, and their is 100 entrants, the winning team will receive R200 000.
  • The runners-up will receive 10% of the total entry fee's. So if the entry fee is R10 000, and their is 100 entrants, the runners-up team will receive R100 000.
  • The third placed team will receive 5% of the total entry fee's. So if the entry fee is R10 000, and their is 100 entrants, the third placed team will receive R50 000.
  • The minimum rider count is 55 riders. In the event of the the count being less than this by 1 April 2017, the event will be cancelled and all entry fee's will be refunded.

Oh, and we may use any or all of the SADC countries. So have a passport and required bike papers ready. This is going to be epic!! You are going to do 4000km to a unknown location, on a unknown route. How's that for a treasure hunt!  >:D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 06:18:27 am by Camelman »

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
Re: The Livingstone Cup: The ultimate adventure race
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 11:52:29 am »
Dibs not to run for the road book.

Offline GraZer

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 12:06:45 pm »
Will the roadbooks be included in the entry fee  :pot:

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 12:17:48 pm »
Like the bigger bike idea but instead of making it a race how about the riders must find points of interest.
If you miss some you lose points.A tour with added interest.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Cdp13

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 12:29:22 pm »
Sounds awesome!!!!!!!

What time of the year are we looking at?
Wees jouself. Moenie 'n twatwaffle wees nie.

Offline Tuareg

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Braap....
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 12:36:59 pm »
Can we have a "I like the sound of this - lets see where this goes" option in the vote choices?
Present: Yamaha TW 200Husaberg FE 650KTM 990 Adv RHonda XR650R
Past: KTM 450 XC-WKTM 950 Adv

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 12:47:50 pm »
This sounds great  :thumleft: :thumleft:

If the entrance fee is R15000 or less then it starts entering the affordable range for the "haven't been working long enough yet to have lots of money" group of us.
Also because we would be able to use our "normal" bikes with minor mods if I understand correctly?

Will a KLR be able to ride the type of terrain you have in mind?
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 01:34:59 pm »
Price sounds decent.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 01:47:56 pm »
I like the sound of this  :thumleft:

A clip-on universal RB holder would be good - Adie???
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Hotklou

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • A.K.A. corne.l
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 01:54:28 pm »
So if you like it, and can afford the R15 000 entry fee

Will this be per team of 2 or per individual?
in vino veritas, in cervesio felicitas

Yamaha XT1200Z (2010) - SOLD
Yamaha XT660Z (2009) - SOLD
BMW F650GS Dakar (2004) - SOLD

Offline Rebelwithacause

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 02:09:04 pm »
This sounds like a brilliant idea!

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
"Once the mind has been expanded, it can never go back to its previous dimensions"

Offline Rebelwithacause

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 02:11:44 pm »
best to post this in the general banter section as well, I want more people to see this!
"Once the mind has been expanded, it can never go back to its previous dimensions"

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 09:07:58 pm »
Brilliant!! :thumleft:

Screw the prize money - for the ride, I am so in. I don't have a bloody bike, wife will prolly want a divorce,  but I'm in. Anyone looking for a pardner? ;D

1) How long would this take? I'm guessing about a week's leave would be required??

2) Would the teams have to ride the exact course or choose any route?

3) If I was to be living in say...Jozie (rather than Zimbabwe ::) )  and the race starts in Sutherland (I know there are no pans in Sutherland), I understand I would have a ways to go. 1,113km to be precise. I assume I would get my 30s/km right? Which would be 556.5 minutes or 9.275 hours in my time bank. And if I was able to ride there in the 11h43 minutes google maps thinks it would take to get there I would presumably be there 17 minutes before the start. Awesome. I'd be tired but could start. And I would have more than 9 hours to my credit so I could arguably have a 4 hour sleep and then get going right?

4) What happens if my team mate is coming from Knysna? Whose time do we get or do we have to start in the same place?

5) Will there be speeding penalties and if so will it work like it did at this years Amageza?  :peepwall:

6) only 4000km? 

So am I right that I would have 54900 seconds or 16.4 hours credit at the start? I guess my disadvantage would be that I could arguably be at the start after everyone had left...and still come first? That I think might be unlikely.

I love the strategy. Its not just about racing at full gas.

My only comment is that with prize money you will attract a whole bunch of bloody louts who will be snarling and nasty, and inviting perhaps a lot of drama. Why not have the prize money go to help some people in serious need? 
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 09:11:00 pm »
It is a bit like the amazing race but on bikes!! . :ricky:

best to post this in the general banter section as well, I want more people to see this!

I will do a cross post if not already done already , and then direct everyone over to this thread. :laughing7:
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Orangeswifty

• Please proceed to suck my
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Rebel Alpha Male
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 06:41:45 am »
I like the idea. :biggrin:
In stead of allowing contestants to sleep in hotels rather make the playing fields level and force everyone to camp regardless.
Predetermined campsites in the bush en route
With penalties if the campsite is not left amicable and so on.........

I can already see a team SE :3some:
We are blessed to share the biking fraternity together!
Do it now - tomorrow you are dead!
Real friends value loyalty regardless!

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 08:39:00 am »
And there I went and wrote you a pretty story for nothing...  ::)

When you first read it, it sounds complex, but its actually not. The 5 page rules will explain it in detail. This here post is to gauge interest. I too now have a day-job coming up other than organizing races, so my time is precious. Don't want to spend time organizing a race nobody wants to do!  :spitcoffee:

Let me try and explain in more detail.

The idea is that you leave home on your bike to get to the start venue which you only find out 12 hours prior to 'race' start. If you ride your bike to the start, you prove it by handing in a GPS track. Your SPOT tracker is also live. So when the 12 hour SMS goes out, you switch on your tracker, then SMS HQ with your teams name and the GPS location you are leaving from. And confirm with HQ your tracker is working. Remember you leave as a TEAM. You need need nominate your starting point, then leave from that point on your entry form. The maximum distance you will get credit for is 2000km.

Furthermore to save costs, you only really need one team member with a paper roadbook, if you are anti-tech. Personally I would have a team of four. More than that and you get to be too slow. Let's say two riders have paper scrolls. The other two have a electronic roadbooks. Adie from Rockfox has made one already. Or you can put your tablet on your bike. The roadbook is in PDF format. You can also use a another tablet or old phone as your CAP/ HDG/ SPD. See the F2R app on Android. I use it. Works well. You can even go totally electronic with a scroll in your pocket for packup.

It is not a 5 stage event. Although it is dates over 5 days, its a 4000km race. So if you can ride 1000km a day, you're done in 4 days. But because of the time limits to get to the next marshal point to get the next roadbook, teams are eliminated automatically if they are to slow or get lost enough. Although you can SMS Ops from the sat phone and ask for coordinates to a tulip, you get penalized. So now you get to the marshal point 20 minutes prior to its closing. But Ops had notified them of your coordinate request so you have a 20 minute penalty. You also have 10 minutes of speed or other penalties. You have nothing in your time-bank. The marshal points closes 10 minutes before your penalties expire. You are now eliminated. Or actually your whole team is.

There is actually lots of strategy involved. The right team members will be everything. Can you ride accurately for keeping your speed in check. Can your designated navigator(s) get you to the other side safely and without getting lost. Can the team leader keep his teams spirits up after 3 days of hard riding. Does the team have between them the correct and most likely spares required for the duration. Can the team survive on energy bars and water for 4000km, while camping. If you think you can sit and sip coffee at every petrol station...You can for one day, then you're most likely be on your way home for missing the marshal point time-slot!  >:D

In my imagination I see the winning team getting to the end. 5 Days worth of stubble, dirty, sweaty, hungry and tired. But I'm sure the R200 000 will help to solve that problem!

This is the absolute Adventure Survivor Race. If we don't get any votes that will make me open entries for this, then I will do it on my own to prove that it can be done.  Just need to source a Husky 700 or Honda Africa-Twin somewhere! Maybe then in 2018 more of you will be interested.

This my friends, is most likely going to be tougher than the Amageza Rally. Think about it.

About the entry fee, just so you don't think I'll be swimming like Scrooge McDuck. It costs R100/ km to recce and pay for access to areas we want to ride in. We will also provide 3 sweep vehicles, 2 aircraft and 12 marshals with 6 vehicles. So even though there are no bivvies. The org still has to be there and shadow the entrants.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:49:26 am by Camelman »

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 08:57:01 am »
Another thing I've put in the rules. Every team gets deposits in his time-bank by handing in footage. 1 minute for a photo, 2 minutes for video. Maximum count is 5 minutes per stage per team. This will be received by the media buff at the marshal point every day. So maybe a team member is dedicated to get the images.

In addition to this, the winning media-submission by a team on a day, gets another 5 minutes in their time bank. Awesome ne!!

Offline melvman

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 09:16:36 am »
Absolutely AWESOME. If I'm unable to enter as a competitor, I'll volunteer my services as a marshal, but I'll be there when it happens!!

Nice one Alex!!!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 09:38:09 am »
I like it too much! Have cross posted on RoamAfrica as well.

Give it a little time for people to read this.

Is riding at night allowed? I'm guessing if so, then a Le Mans-type race is on the cards, just not so safe. I'm thinking probably not. But checking the tracks for speed penalties and stuff along the way by the org will take a bit of time, no?

Offline Tuareg

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Braap....
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 09:43:52 am »
Is there a proposed date (month / year) yet...?
I'm definitely warming to this idea
Need to start polling my mates for inherent stupidity & cash fluidity
Present: Yamaha TW 200Husaberg FE 650KTM 990 Adv RHonda XR650R
Past: KTM 450 XC-WKTM 950 Adv