Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Livingstone Cup: The ultimate adventure race (11-16 Jun '17)  (Read 9598 times)

Offline tour

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
Re: The Livingstone Cup: The ultimate adventure race (11-16 Jun '17)
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2016, 07:00:50 am »
this sounds very cool. But i am sure some peeps might be very worried about the NAVIGATIONAL side of this so i came up with an answer to the worries.

For an inexperienced team of people that would like to partake but the unknown fear of Navigation is holding you back,  why not use an experienced Amageza rider like Gerrit, Claude and myself to be your navigator.
We would be able to sell our services, price of entry, to your team and so give you a fighting chance of completing this amazing challenge.
Let that sink in for a while. It might actually be a great help to people that want to ride and to give us cheapskates a chance too. 

Offline bud500

• RIP dear friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2016, 09:58:27 am »
Having thought about this for a while and discussed it with a few Mates, I still think it sounds interesting but don't think it is practical for a lot of DS riders.
For R20 000 (entry + fuel) I could do an epic ride, just like this, probably for longer and yes without immediate medical back up.

So as Camelman said, if no one is interested, he and a buddy will go do it anyway. I agree, if I can get the time off and some funds together, me and a buddy or more can go do a 7 day trip anyway, probably for less and without missing all the scenery.

Yes maybe I am missing the point and don't know what real adventure is....
Live like someone left the gate open.

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2016, 12:00:12 pm »
A seriously interesting concept, Alex  :thumleft:

Good luck, and subscribe  :sip:
Chris
DYLAN 021 510 6455        bike@flyingbrick.co.za  
NICKY 021 510 6455            service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455             web@flyingbrick.co.za
BEN 021 510 6455           sales@flyingbrick.co.za 
WERNER 021 510 6455   orders@flyingbrick.co.za
WHATS APP:                    067 278 1893

Online Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2016, 12:04:10 pm »
You're quite right, this can be done for less and you can have an epic adventure elsewhere - we do it all the time, don't we?

But, you are missing the point. this is not about the money - it's about the challenge.

A gauntlet has been thrown down - are you gonna pick it up?

And medical? Pah, I got some buddies, some cell phones, some money and some medical aid - that's what I always use to get me out the shit.

Or am I missing the point?  :biggrin:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Koos van den Heever

• Race Dog
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2016, 12:47:02 pm »
You're quite right, this can be done for less and you can have an epic adventure elsewhere - we do it all the time, don't we?

But, you are missing the point. this is not about the money - it's about the challenge.

A gauntlet has been thrown down - are you gonna pick it up?

And medical? Pah, I got some buddies, some cell phones, some money and some medical aid - that's what I always use to get me out the shit.

Or am I missing the point?  :biggrin:

I agree!!!  For me it is "Challenge accepted"!!!   >:D
KTM 990 Adventure S
KTM 690 Enduro RR
KTM 450 RFR
KTM XCF-W 350

Offline bud500

• RIP dear friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2016, 01:01:54 pm »

I understand your points and your passion, nothing wrong with that.
But in this thread a few references are made to the big possible target market pool, I just think the pool is much smaller than anticipated, probably the size of the Amageza field. This is because a lot of the time it is about the money and it is about the time. Those are real constraints for a lot of people, which doesn't mean those people don't have the passion or interest in such an event.

Unfortunately in a lot of cases "Challenge accepted" doesn't refer to the event at all but rather the means of affording a multi thousand rand outing for a week. In which case cheaper alternatives are real competition for an event like this.
Live like someone left the gate open.

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2016, 01:20:42 pm »
Amageza entry fee is not the show stopper in my opinion, getting the right bike, long range tanks for 275km racing range, fitting nav towers and the roadbooks/ICOs, 4 - 5 sets of tires with spare wheels, these are the mega bucks issues.  For this event, you use your standard F800GS with a new set of Mitas E07s on it.  Nothing else. Except fuel and a sleeping bag. :lol8:

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2016, 01:34:40 pm »
Amageza entry fee is not the show stopper in my opinion, getting the right bike, long range tanks for 275km racing range, fitting nav towers and the roadbooks/ICOs, 4 - 5 sets of tires with spare wheels, these are the mega bucks issues.  For this event, you use your standard F800GS with a new set of Mitas E07s on it.  Nothing else. Except fuel and a sleeping bag. :lol8:

That is exactly it. Aside from entry and fuel you have no significant costs. What has stopped me from rally racing is the R100k+ to buy and kit a bike
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2016, 02:07:49 pm »
Having thought about this for a while and discussed it with a few Mates, I still think it sounds interesting but don't think it is practical for a lot of DS riders.
For R20 000 (entry + fuel) I could do an epic ride, just like this, probably for longer and yes without immediate medical back up.

So as Camelman said, if no one is interested, he and a buddy will go do it anyway. I agree, if I can get the time off and some funds together, me and a buddy or more can go do a 7 day trip anyway, probably for less and without missing all the scenery.

Yes maybe I am missing the point and don't know what real adventure is....

Ok, which would you like/enjoy more:
1: An evening at home with friends spent with drinks and banter
or
2. Go to a bub with the same friends and have a few drinks and banter there.

Most will say 'lets go to the Pub'.  There are just something 'more' if the human being do a 'challenging' activity. (Dunno what's the challenge in the pub, maybe the noise, the music, the hard barstools,??)

So the R15 000.00 entry fee is the same as paying R40.00 for a Rum and Coke at the pub, Its the ambiance, noise, kak stool, etc etc but we still go. AND don't get crapped out when you spill the Rum on the carpet.

It is simple, you PAY for the challange, otherwise it is 'just a trip with mates'

I need to get a riding partner for this.  Maybe we must start a 'Buddy thread' for us lone riders.

adie
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 02:08:41 pm by Weedkiller - Adie »
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2016, 02:34:01 pm »
After approaching the minister of Finance for Funds Release, I was given a resounding "Go for It!" - her previous option was for me to try Amageza, but I am really to kak sleg for that, so she is extremely pleased that something like this may be available to get me away for a week or so. So I am in. providing I can get the following obstacles turned away.
 - Money for everything is required - best sales get up a bit.....
 - A bike - I have a 2010 GSA that would work, but as we know, a 701 on the bond would be better.
 - while we are bonding things - new riding kit.
 - A Team - either tag onto an existing one, or find mates with bikes & loot.
 - A support team - OK - my mates from the Cape would be keen to run backup in Land Cruisers - so this is already arranged.
Where do I sign?
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Cdp13

« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2016, 08:45:20 pm »
After approaching the minister of Finance for Funds Release, I was given a resounding "Go for It!" - her previous option was for me to try Amageza, but I am really to kak sleg for that, so she is extremely pleased that something like this may be available to get me away for a week or so. So I am in. providing I can get the following obstacles turned away.
 - A bike - I have a 2010 GSA that would work, but as we know, a 701 on the bond would be better.
 - A support team - OK - my mates from the Cape would be keen to run backup in Land Cruisers - so this is already arranged.
Where do I sign?

I like your enthusiasm. My Minister has also given her blessing.

Just a quick question: Why are you considering a back-up team? I might be wrong, but I don't reckon an oil change and tyre swop will be necessary every night. So not a massive amount of spares, tyres etc etc will be necessary. The whole challenge IMHO is in doing a 4000km trip unassisted.

What do you think?
Wees jouself. Moenie 'n twatwaffle wees nie.

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2016, 10:02:42 pm »
I've been looking through my long distance trips, some solo and some as a group of three, where I rode long distances each day. Four trips between 3000 and 4500km each. 3 trips was more than 80% gravel and one only about 20% gravel.  This was done with a fully loaded 1200GS - tent and all. (Once included safety boots as it was work trips)

I came to the following conclusion.

Doing an average of 900km per day for 4 and a half days on mostly gravel is not for sissies. then you need to get to the start as well and then back home.  That alone can add another 1000km to the trip.  Just for perspective if you look at the map 4000km is almost circumnavigating RSA.

I am not talking about the gravel to Tankwa or Stonehenge where you can sit comfortably at 120. I think more of Seweweeks Poort en Die HEL type of roads where the average speed will be much closer to 75kph.  Throw in a day with rain and it will suddenly be a real endurance.

3 of us did a 4 day 2000km 90% gravel trip from Cape Town to Baviaans-Steytlerville Die Hel and back. Two and a half days of rain made it a real test of strength.

Those of us that know Alexander will appreciate the effort he will put in to select 'scenic' tracks.  Mark my words 'tracks' not roads. >:D

I think my weapon of choice will be 650 to 800cc

dit maak mens dink.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Rebelwithacause

« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2016, 07:32:30 am »
I've been looking through my long distance trips, some solo and some as a group of three, where I rode long distances each day. Four trips between 3000 and 4500km each. 3 trips was more than 80% gravel and one only about 20% gravel.  This was done with a fully loaded 1200GS - tent and all. (Once included safety boots as it was work trips)

I came to the following conclusion.

Doing an average of 900km per day for 4 and a half days on mostly gravel is not for sissies. then you need to get to the start as well and then back home.  That alone can add another 1000km to the trip.  Just for perspective if you look at the map 4000km is almost circumnavigating RSA.

I am not talking about the gravel to Tankwa or Stonehenge where you can sit comfortably at 120. I think more of Seweweeks Poort en Die HEL type of roads where the average speed will be much closer to 75kph.  Throw in a day with rain and it will suddenly be a real endurance.

3 of us did a 4 day 2000km 90% gravel trip from Cape Town to Baviaans-Steytlerville Die Hel and back. Two and a half days of rain made it a real test of strength.

Those of us that know Alexander will appreciate the effort he will put in to select 'scenic' tracks.  Mark my words 'tracks' not roads. >:D

I think my weapon of choice will be 650 to 800cc

dit maak mens dink.

Adie

Ja I agree, riding a biggish loaded, even not very heavily, for 4 to 5 days on gravel roads will definitely bring out the tough in you. It will be pretty hard work, but thats what we want. Its a talent to be able to push on and love being uncomfortable for long amounts of time.

Hahaha, also don't forget the 1000k's back home after the fun and games.
"Once the mind has been expanded, it can never go back to its previous dimensions"

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2016, 07:38:56 am »
Where do I sign?

Just a quick question: Why are you considering a back-up team? I might be wrong, but I don't reckon an oil change and tyre swop will be necessary every night. So not a massive amount of spares, tyres etc etc will be necessary. The whole challenge IMHO is in doing a 4000km trip unassisted.

What do you think?

I agree - and I wait in trepidation to hear from the Backup Team - the only reason they want to be involved, is because they are my mates, they don't ride bikes, they love playing outdoors (camping, climbing, 4x4's) and they have Land cruiser pickups - they will pitch tents and make food, that's probably all.

I am seriously going to look for a 701, need a long range tank, or perhaps a 690 with a Rallye kit, something like that, and go minimal. I need some new gear, but that will be what it is. At the very worst I will use the GSA, not ideal I don't think. Maybe a modified XR650L, DR650SE....... Will have to see whats available.

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline DE

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2016, 07:39:35 am »
A date has been set!!! :ricky: :ricky:

need to get some cash together !!! :spitcoffee:

Hi Rebel - you planning to take your KLR?
Africa Twin 1000, KLR 650 (Fugly), VStrom 650

SOLD: KLR 650 (New Shape); KTM 950 SE; 1200GS; Honda CTX 200; KTM 950 Adv; BMW F650 GS; BMW F650 GS Dakar; KTM 640 Adv

Offline Rebelwithacause

« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2016, 08:02:48 am »
A date has been set!!! :ricky: :ricky:

need to get some cash together !!! :spitcoffee:

Hi Rebel - you planning to take your KLR?

My KLR and I are one!

Might just need to fit a long range oil tank, hahahah, but ja! I am planning to! might hate myself for it later...but im sure the pig will do it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 08:06:26 am by Rebelwithacause »
"Once the mind has been expanded, it can never go back to its previous dimensions"

Offline Cdp13

« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2016, 09:37:18 am »
Where do I sign?

What do you think?

I agree - and I wait in trepidation to hear from the Backup Team - the only reason they want to be involved, is because they are my mates, they don't ride bikes, they love playing outdoors (camping, climbing, 4x4's) and they have Land cruiser pickups - they will pitch tents and make food, that's probably all.

I am seriously going to look for a 701, need a long range tank, or perhaps a 690 with a Rallye kit, something like that, and go minimal. I need some new gear, but that will be what it is. At the very worst I will use the GSA, not ideal I don't think. Maybe a modified XR650L, DR650SE....... Will have to see whats available.

OK no awesome  :thumleft: I just have pissies for mates then haha

Re bike setup, like Adie also said - it will be mostly (hopefully) "tracks" as opposed main/smooth roads. Anything from a 650 - 1200 will work, just depends where and how much you want to struggle. Rider capability obviously is a factor as well.

I'm a very average rider so will go on 701, just need extra fuel. But my potential team mate is a very talented rider and will go with his GSA.
Wees jouself. Moenie 'n twatwaffle wees nie.

Offline Orangeswifty

• Please proceed to suck my
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Rebel Alpha Male
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2016, 11:59:19 am »
this sounds very cool. But i am sure some peeps might be very worried about the NAVIGATIONAL side of this so i came up with an answer to the worries.

For an inexperienced team of people that would like to partake but the unknown fear of Navigation is holding you back,  why not use an experienced Amageza rider like Gerrit, Claude and myself to be your navigator.
We would be able to sell our services, price of entry, to your team and so give you a fighting chance of completing this amazing challenge.
Let that sink in for a while. It might actually be a great help to people that want to ride and to give us cheapskates a chance too.
Nice try Rudie
 :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
We are blessed to share the biking fraternity together!
Do it now - tomorrow you are dead!
Real friends value loyalty regardless!

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2016, 02:20:38 pm »

Where do I sign?

I'm not sure that I would take a backup team along.  I would ride sunrise to sunset and sleep exactly where I stop. Organising backup to meet up with you when you are nav-ing from a roadbook without GPS waypoints will be tricky.  You will basically need to get to your stop-off point and send them the lats/longs with the sat phone.  Then wait x-number of hours for them to arrive.  What I would like is somebody with a chopper and a night rating that could ferry in spares and extra coffee. 

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2016, 11:44:57 am »
My business partner agreed that should certain sales targets be met, we can afford a new (701) delivery bike - as long as we can brand it.

Me like that arrangement.

Very Much Indeed.....