Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Livingstone Cup: The ultimate adventure race (11-16 Jun '17)  (Read 9588 times)

Offline Xpat

Re: The Livingstone Cup: The ultimate adventure race (11-16 Jun '17)
« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2016, 06:08:01 pm »
We are probably off-topic by now, so allow me just one last reply:

I'm not shooting down anything - as a matter of fact I have suggested what I thought was a perfect alternative from a cost and maximum ride enjoyment POV: plot a route off the beaten track (there is plenty of inspiration in RRs on WD), pack up and go. The route may not end up being as scenic as you expected, or you might run into too tough patch of sand (any of which may happen on organized ride anyway as people's skill differ), but that is part of adv riding for me. No need to buy plastic bike if you prefer it that way - of course big bike may be more limiting in some areas, but then some people consider that as an extra challenge and actually enjoy that - I have ridden 1000s of kms of deep sand on GSA1150 myself though nowadays prefer smaller bike. And little more detail planning can mitigate (not entirely eliminate) risk of running into too tough a terrain.

I just don't understand why it needs to be a an organized event, but that is probably only because I'm wired solo and to be perfectly honest a bit snobbish. If this is going to be an event accessible to anybody (i.e. without pre-selection ala Amageza and clear racing designation), it seems inevitable to me that the event organizer needs to cater for the lowest common denominator, with proper back-ups to get people untangled if they get too deep in for their comfort, or the route must be compromised to ensure that more or less anybody on big bike can ride it. The challenging route with sufficient back-up will inevitably drive costs up (still cheaper probably than Amageza as Camleman hinted), and I have a gist that you and your mates may not enjoy the ride if the route is too easy.

But no, I'm definitely not trying to dissuade you from riding your bike whatever it is. Exact opposite, I'm trying to encourage people to ride whether there is an organized event or not.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2016, 07:53:27 am »
Seems to me that an organised, paid for ride to wherever, with some tough bits and cold showers, is what is required......

And I seem to think WildWood pretty much does this - albeit on 701's, perhaps he would modify some "tours" for me and my GSA Lump.....?

::)  ::)  ::)
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • If it was easy, everyone would do it.
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2016, 12:08:49 pm »
It is really encouraging to see you guys debate the issue.

That is why I like to start a event off here. Amageza also started here. As you debate, so I plan.

I do generally have the ability to make things happen, but I just can't afford another financial knock. So I would REALLY REALLY like to plan and execute The Livingstone Cup, just to show that it can be done, but eish, the moela man!

So keep it up, you never know what may happen!!  :thumleft:

And keep riding and training with your hog in sand and rock. If the Livingstone happens, it won't be easy.  >:D