Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Congo - Exploring and Planning to Ride up  (Read 1317 times)

Offline WarWolf

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Boom Goes the Dynamite
Congo - Exploring and Planning to Ride up
« on: November 26, 2016, 03:39:55 pm »
I am sitting in Kalemie on the Shores of Lake Tanganyika planning on riding a BMW ADV up here after the rain in April or June . I know the area well, it will be a serious ride for sure then across to either Tanzania or Rwanda and on to Tanzania and back via Malawi into Zim, down to Beira in Moz and Maputo to JHB

ANYBODY keen on joining
ALL and any advise

Regards
Michael aka WarWolf
Train Hard Fight Easy
Live in The Light
Follow Your Feet, Never Forget Where You Come From
Note to self "Don't Be a P@@s, Be Lekker"

Offline Amsterdam

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
Re: Congo - Exploring and Planning to Ride up
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 01:44:26 pm »
Hi there, have you given some more info to the route and approximate duration?  How much riding are you planning to do in the Congo?
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 08:09:58 am »
Living in the DRC 10 years ago I stayed in Lubumbashi

Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 08:11:56 am »
Just a short video of a concert at one of the local bars in Lubumbashi, not quite up to the standard of U2

&t=16s

Offline Ruan 87

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 10:06:42 am »
I rode my bike up here end of January,  was meant to go home a while ago buy work keeping me here! I am 40km east of Lubumbashi.  Pm me your contact details.

I have tried exploring a few areas but after 1500 mm of rain this year it is quite restricted.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 07:31:19 am »
@YoungGSer is riding up that way through Zambia and down Malawi in June - I will send him the link to the thread.....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Andre Nel

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 02:51:56 pm »
I am working in the congo and I am planning to bring a bike up some time in May, riding through Bots and Zambia starting of in Louis trighardt, would be nice to have a riding buddy as this is my first time to cross boarders with a bike and I am a bit nervous.

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 05:23:14 pm »
I rode my bike up here end of January,  was meant to go home a while ago buy work keeping me here! I am 40km east of Lubumbashi.  Pm me your contact details.

I have tried exploring a few areas but after 1500 mm of rain this year it is quite restricted.

I left there some 10 years ago I will PM you Pierre’s info (Geotravller)

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 06:59:44 pm »
I have worked there many moons ago and would love to return one day. Worked in Bunia, Beni, Erangetti, Bukavu, kisangani, Kingshasha, Mbandaka and Nizi. All I do know is that I will never even consider going with a big bike, because of the mud and condition of the roads. Lubumbasi is not nearly as bad wrt road conditions than in the most other parts. If you have a look at my 'demining' thread on the WD's you'll see many pictures of what you can expect, and Pierre (Geotraveller) is currently there and his pictures is nothing different to mine taken in 2004/5. If anyone ask me for advice on a bike to explore the DRC I would say 650 class or smaller. I can't recall the name of the guy who has done it on his GS800 about 3 or 4 years ago but he has shared valuable information and regret taking his GS800. A while back there were the guys on their Husky 701'S and that even proofed to be challenging. Regardless, wet or dry season mud will always be a challenge in the DRC. That if you really want to do 'DRD Cross Country'

Offline Fransw

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 07:50:54 pm »
I have worked there many moons ago and would love to return one day. Worked in Bunia, Beni, Erangetti, Bukavu, kisangani, Kingshasha, Mbandaka and Nizi. All I do know is that I will never even consider going with a big bike, because of the mud and condition of the roads. Lubumbasi is not nearly as bad wrt road conditions than in the most other parts. If you have a look at my 'demining' thread on the WD's you'll see many pictures of what you can expect, and Pierre (Geotraveller) is currently there and his pictures is nothing different to mine taken in 2004/5. If anyone ask me for advice on a bike to explore the DRC I would say 650 class or smaller. I can't recall the name of the guy who has done it on his GS800 about 3 or 4 years ago but he has shared valuable information and regret taking his GS800. A while back there were the guys on their Husky 701'S and that even proofed to be challenging. Regardless, wet or dry season mud will always be a challenge in the DRC. That if you really want to do 'DRD Cross Country'

It were Mike Pusey from Bikers warehouse and company on the 701's.  www.bikerswarehouse.co.za