Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: West Coast Baja - Questions from a newbie  (Read 808 times)

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
West Coast Baja - Questions from a newbie
« on: November 28, 2016, 04:34:59 pm »
Entering a rally was daunting, but it's finally done with no turning back.  West Coast Baja 2017 here we come!  :ricky:

My questions are endless, and I hope there's some of the experienced guys that can lend a helping hand. 

So here goes a couple of the questions:

I've noticed that 3 litres of water is compulsory to carry with you. It seems that the additional 2 litres have fallen away.  Is my understanding correct?

No camping site made available.  Accommodation is therefore the responsibility of every contestant in Port Nolloth.  Any recommendation of suitable accommodation?

I plan to have a support vehicle entered as well. ( My cousin would love to be part of this event)  Is this a good idea?  My understanding is that he would be there at the refuelling points, help with service/repairs at night etc. ?

Roadbook training - is there navigation training offered up here in Gauteng?

Riding gear - apart from the obvious stated in the race guide, given the experience, is normal enduro gear suitable?

This is it, for now.  :thumleft:

"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
Re: West Coast Baja - Questions from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 05:29:33 am »
Anyone in Gauteng that will be doing the Baja 2017?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 07:46:36 am »
Entering a rally was daunting, but it's finally done with no turning back.  West Coast Baja 2017 here we come!  :ricky:

My questions are endless, and I hope there's some of the experienced guys that can lend a helping hand. 

So here goes a couple of the questions:

I've noticed that 3 litres of water is compulsory to carry with you. It seems that the additional 2 litres have fallen away.  Is my understanding correct?

No camping site made available.  Accommodation is therefore the responsibility of every contestant in Port Nolloth.  Any recommendation of suitable accommodation?

I plan to have a support vehicle entered as well. ( My cousin would love to be part of this event)  Is this a good idea?  My understanding is that he would be there at the refuelling points, help with service/repairs at night etc. ?

Roadbook training - is there navigation training offered up here in Gauteng?

Riding gear - apart from the obvious stated in the race guide, given the experience, is normal enduro gear suitable?

This is it, for now.  :thumleft:

March is still very hot. If you are a front runner, 3l is just about enough. Carry more.

Having someone along scales the costs up a bit, but is a lot of fun. If they are mechanically competent it can make things much easier.

Roberts Racing does some roadbook training, I am sure there are many on here who have a few road books for you to practice on.

As to what to wear...

You are not allowed to wear your tools on you. They have to be attached to the bike.
A neck brace is mandatory.
Having a small backpack with 3l camelbaks and emergency kit, spare goggles, rain jacket and some food is almost universal.
Consider a micro tank bag for easy to get to stuff whilst on the move - snack bars and rehydrate and shit.
But for the rest, about the same. Some guys prefer pressure suit with jersey. Others, armoured Rally jackets.
Get good knee protection.
Boots you can be all day in.

For preparation, spend 8 hours, 500k's for 2 successive days on a bike to make sure all your kit is comfortable.

Somedays, life's like a middlemannetjie.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 07:54:09 am »
Thank you very much, this helps a lot.  :thumleft:

-David Livingstone-

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 11:26:21 am »
https://www.rallynavigator.com/

Is a good place to learn about roadbooks. You can even write your own.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 11:35:32 am »

Thanks Crossed-up, page doesn't currently work but will check tonight when home.  :thumleft:

-David Livingstone-

Offline Minxy

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 04:15:16 pm »

Thanks Crossed-up, page doesn't currently work but will check tonight when home.  :thumleft:

I can help you with roadbook training if you want. I got some roadbooks here and can go through them with you explaining everything. I think I've still got the Hartebeespoort area roadbook with me as well. If you want to go ride the route etc. Anyway shout if you want and we can chat about it
*              ★.`.★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★.`.★               *
www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/ Hit follow!
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Hearts in the Desert -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241236.0

Offline AlexRG

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 05:25:07 pm »
Hi Kobus,

You are welcome to contact me as well, I'm in the Vaal area. Think you are close?

Was also a newbie so I know all the questions... but hey, now I completed x2 'geza's (one Malle Moto nogal) and the Baja... LOL

Welcome to also come for rides and beer etc.

PM me and then we change numbers.

Ciao!

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 10:22:38 pm »
Thank you very much Minxy, Alex and the other dog via pm, much appreciated.  Once I've gathered my thoughts and structured my questions, I'll push on your button.  :thumleft:

-David Livingstone-