Karoo backroads to the bash (plenty of pictures)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
The day finally dawned where we could leave work behind and spend 6 days crossing the Karoo and meeting up with some Willdogs from the south. Our real dirt started near Colesberg on a chilly winters morning as we put on every single layer of clothing we could lay our hands on. The beautifull barren scenery soon made us forget about the cold.

Crossing the Gariep dam

DSCF0039.jpg

The winding Karoo roads with the odd small river here and there.

DSCF0041.jpg

The dirt roads are well maintained and can be ridden at speed, a perfect way to get into a groove for the upcoming days

DSCF0042.jpg

Our visitor from the UK aka Shark za se baas was on a KLR and despite having some serious concerns about the bikes brakes or lack thereof really enjoyed his ride on the Karoo express he is also now totally hooked on bike trips  :ricky:

DSCF0044.jpg

Runner was next up

DSCF0045.jpg

Some farm dams scattered across the countryside some were frozen !

DSCF0047.jpg

Just outside Colesberg the KLR ran out of juice , the huge 27 l Acerbis of the XR came to the rescue

DSCF0048.jpg

We headed into Colesberg for a refuel and a well deserved breakfast at the local Wimpy before heading to Middelburg and then Niew Bethesda we would spend the night. There are hundreds of kilometers of dirt roads to be explored in this area, at this crossing we headed for Middelburg

DSCF0050.jpg

Runner with a ADVrider saluut

DSCF0051.jpg

Every now and then an old abadoned stone farmhouse or a trail lined with hundreds of trees will appear from nowhere, that's the nice thing about ds bikes they will take you to places that would otherwise be unknown to the outside world

DSCF0054.jpg

DSCF0057.jpg

We stopped at Middelburg for some lunch and had some droewors and biltong, what would a bike trip be without it ?

DSCF0064.jpg

On our way again and not long before we found the turnoff to Nieu Bethesda. I had the oppertunity to ride the KLR and really enjoyed it, it was comfortable and perfect for these kind of trips. The brakes are plain dangerous though, Gronies brake upgrade would be a good idea. This particular bike was a 2006 model and the front suspension had some work done so no problems there.

DSCF0066.jpg

DSCF0068.jpg

Steve's take on the DRZ, felt like a motocross bike with good handling brakes and suspension but he was sure the seat would kill him, fair enough  ;D The Nieu Bethesda road was a very enjoyable ride, we decided to stay over at the Owlhouse backpackers. Highly recommended and they have an honesty fridge or something like that basicly a fridge filled to the brim with beer and food, we made use of it alot !

DSCF0069.jpg

DSCF0070.jpg

The little town of Nieu Bethesda reminded me alot of Wupperthal in the Cederberge which we visted on our last trip.

DSCF0071.jpg

DSCF0077.jpg

We slept like logs as the new day arrived with some frost clinging to the bikes but the cold would soon be forgotten as some great riding lay ahead.

DSCF0082.jpg

We did a quick tour of the town before heading off, some interesting houses from yesteryear and a stop off at the famous owl house. I peaked through the fence and must admit there are some stange statues in that back yard  :eek7:

DSCF0090.jpg

DSCF0085.jpg

The idea was to do the Kompasberg loop but time was not on our side, the road leading from Nieu Bethesda to Graaf Reinette made up for that as it had some nice views and great riding. Looking back towards Nieu Bethesda and heading up the mountain.

DSCF0091.jpg

DSCF0092.jpg

I was going to have to spend a night in a tent with these two buggers  :eek: :biggrin:

DSCF0094.jpg

The trails were now becoming more interesting as we left the Karoo highways behind, low level watercrossings and dry riverbeds along with some more dense vegetation started to appear. We were on our way to the Baviaans  :ricky:

DSCF0097.jpg

Looking out over the pretty town of Graaf Reinette and the valley of desolation which we would follow as we headed for the coast

DSCF0102.jpg

KLR coming through and miles of empty deserted tracks

DSCF0104.jpg

DSCF0106.jpg

DSCF0109.jpg

The riding was so good even the KLR was standing on it's back wheel

DSCF0112.jpg

There were some nice spots which would be ideal for camping in summertime, I would really like to come back and ride these roads again

DSCF0114.jpg

We passed through another small town as we headed towards the mountains in the distance, the riding that lay ahead proved to be some of the best of the whole trip

DSCF0115.jpg

Following the trail it eventually turned into a tweespoor with some enjoyable rocky sections and sweepers before heading into a valley with a river running down below us

DSCF0118.jpg

DSCF0119.jpg

The sun was setting though as we had to make it to Jeffreys for our next stop

DSCF0122.jpg

DSCF0124.jpg

Some interesting rock formations near Steytlerville as we made for the 4x4 trail that leads to Patensie

DSCF0128.jpg

The sun was starting to set as we made our way up and down the mountain side. This section was alot of fun, not too difficult just the right mix of terrain to be entertaining.

DSCF0130.jpg

DSCF0131.jpg

Then the rocks turned nasty as the KLR sufferd a puncture just before the final gate that leads to the Elandsriver Patensie split. We had a 21 inch on hand and in near darkness took the KLR's back wheel of only to battle like crazy to get the darn tyre back on. Then Sidetrack stepped up to the plate and showed how it should be done  >:D Seriously I don't know how but it was the first time I ever put a tyre back on a rim and it went on perfectly.

DSCF0134.jpg

DSCF0135.jpg

At least this exercise gave the oppertunity for capturing the setting sun

DSCF0132.jpg

DSCF0133.jpg

We were now running late and only about 4 k's on the KLR had a flat again  :mad: The tubes were finito so Runner decided to run it flat down the mountain and into town. The bike weaving all over the road was a sight to behold. It was now about nine pm and the only option was to get a trailer from Jbay. The next day we had to drive to PE to get some tubes as Jeffreys had nothing. Armed with a bagfull of tubes we were ready to hit the road, the KLR was up and running and our spirits lifted as we followed a nice little track towards Patensie on our way (finally) to the bash.

DSCF0140.jpg

We arrived at Bruintjieskraal with Willdogs everywhere. LGF said hello at the gate and we soon met Watty, Trailrider, CS, Carnivore, Metaljockey, Michnus etc. Thanks Watty for a great event I'm sure I speak for Runner and Steve when I say we really enjoyed it. And a big thanks to Carnivore for helping me sort out the leaking tank on my bike, it's still leak free and going strong ! I only met Kaboef briefly on the way out and chatted with Bus about the best bike in the world  ;D Hope to meet up with everyone again sometime  :thumleft:

The campsite

DSCF0144.jpg

And the next morning

DSCF0153.jpg

Our route home took us through Baviaans which is always a treat

DSCF0155.jpg

DSCF0160.jpg

The watercrossing at Smitskraal which was not as deep as previous trips through here

DSCF0164.jpg

At Uniondale we munched some burgers at the Crackling Rose and fuelled up for the next section through the Kamanassie road which Trailrider gave some info on. We would make for De Rust before heading back towards Colesberg and back on home

DSCF0169.jpg

Kamanassie scenery

DSCF0170.jpg

De Rust is nice stopover with good accomodation at reasonable prices and a shop that's open till half past eight at night, imagine that for a platteland dorpie.

DSCF0172.jpg

When we awoke the next day the gardner at the self accomodation even took the liberty to wash our bikes for us !

We followed Meirings poort and then onto a loop that meandered through some farm lands and mountains some even had some snow left on the peaks

DSCF0175.jpg

DSCF0177.jpg

Aberdeen would be the next big town but the route took us through small towns such as Rietbron where they still write down everything in a book when you buy and the petrol pump still has old fashioned rolling digits

DSCF0181.jpg

Fast open sweeping dirt roads were everywhere with the odd cattle grid running across the road

DSCF0179.jpg

DSCF0180.jpg

Just outside Aberdeen I ran into some trouble. Sitting at 120 the bike just cut out and refused to start. Stripping off everything I found spark, the carb came of next and I noticed the slide was not working. Closer inspection revealed the little screw that operates the slide and is attached to the throttle wheel came loose, what are the chances of that ! Anyway I guess you can fix a carbed bike next to the road  ;D

DSCF0185.jpg

The trip home was uneventfull and plain boring but at least we had some good memories and riding to take with us to Gauteng.

Thanks again to Watty and co for everything  :thumleft: