Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My DRZ400E thread  (Read 3967 times)

Offline Hankeeb

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: My DRZ400E thread
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 02:44:31 pm »
Hankeeb if you ever find another 690 headlight please let me know, will work nicely on my Husaberg as well. Did you spray it ? Cant see any stock ones that came in black. Either white or black is what I need.

Nope not painted.  Stock.  They come in White, Black and Orange and some even come with a sticker kit.

https://ktmtwins.com/products/ktm-76508001000-2-4-5
Ok great, is that the updated light that came out around 2013 or the first gen one ?

*Edit see it's the later "better" one

Indeed yes, it is the later "better" one! :)

Offline Hankeeb

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 08:28:53 am »
Getting married on Saturday means I do not have lots of time on my hands but still enough time to work on my DIY Steg pegs.

Manufacturing the mounting plates from 3mm 1050-H14 Aluminium means it will be strong enough yet easy enough to work it by hand.

Design looks good in Solidworks but the prototyping is a whole other story.

Will keep the updates coming in a few weeks.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 08:57:09 am by Hankeeb »

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 04:30:11 pm »

Firstly - Congratulations on getting married!! Wishing many joyful and prosperous years to you and your beautiful lady!

Secondly - What are Steg pegs for?
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Hankeeb

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 04:41:56 pm »

Firstly - Congratulations on getting married!! Wishing many joyful and prosperous years to you and your beautiful lady!

Secondly - What are Steg pegs for?

Stegs pegs is a peg for behind your calves that allows your legs/boots to "grip" the bike better when standing on the bike. Google steg pegs and you will see. It works great!

Thanks for thw wishes!  :)

Offline mtbbiker

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Meerkat V2.0
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 09:42:12 am »
Out of curiosity is that KTM light better than the stock head light?
Without goals and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination - Fitzhugh Dodson
Project Meerkat:DRZ rally build http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=86025.0

Offline Hankeeb

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 10:52:39 am »
Out of curiosity is that KTM light better than the stock head light?

For sure!

Offline XTZFegen

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2017, 07:32:46 pm »
Just made up my mind this is my next bike. I love the Ten but I need something smaller for solo runs. These look perfect for my needs.

Offline sgt

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2017, 05:35:51 pm »
Had the pleasure of riding in Stellenbosch area today with Hankeeb and another rider. I really like his DRZ, and I'd love to find one as well!

Offline Hankeeb

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 11:24:02 am »
Had the pleasure of riding in Stellenbosch area today with Hankeeb and another rider. I really like his DRZ, and I'd love to find one as well!

Thanks SGT.  Was real nice to ride with you!  You handle a R1200GS very well!  Looking forward to our next outride...maybe on a DRZ!

Offline Hankeeb

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2017, 06:24:26 pm »
So I finally had some time to work on the bike again.

Having done a very long technical Enduro'ish ride on the bike I decided to do some mods.

One of my concerns on the ride was ripping off a brake pedal or shifter.  I decided to do a DIY brake saver that honestly cost me R20 at Builders.

Drilled a small hole in the pedal and made a loop through it and also looped it around the frame.

Another thing I realised on this ride was how unprepared I was for break downs on this type of ride.  A physical breakdown can lead to a mental breakdown and of course the other way round too.  So I made a recovery/tow strap for the front and rear of the bike. 

Now for the next ride!

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2017, 04:48:18 pm »
Those recovery straps would've been handy on my trip through Anysberg a while ago - I broke off my number plate trying to manhandle the bike in the sand. How do you fix them to the bike? Or do they simply loop around and hook to each other?

And that brake saver... never knew such a thing existed. I don't know what the original shape of my brake lever is even meant to be anymore and the front triangle sheared clean off when I ploughed up Gydo Pass.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 05:24:26 pm by Ri »
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Hankeeb

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2017, 04:59:04 pm »
Those recovery straps would've been handy on my trip through Anysberg a while ago - I broke off my number plate trying to manhandle the bike in the sand. How do you fix them to the bike? Or do they simply loop around and hook to each other?

And that brake saver... never new such a thing existed. I don't know what the original shape of my brake lever is even meant to be anymore and the front triangle sheared clean off when I ploughed up Gydo Pass.
The straps are bolter to the sub-frame on the rear and the front ones to the tripple clamps.  Large washers and M6 bolts and nuts keeps the straps on tightly.  In the front it is M8 bolts and large washers.

You can do things like this fairly cheap.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2017, 05:25:21 pm »

And that brake saver... never knew such a thing existed. I don't know what the original shape of my brake lever is even meant to be anymore and the front triangle sheared clean off when I ploughed up Gydo Pass.
The straps are bolter to the sub-frame on the rear and the front ones to the tripple clamps.  Large washers and M6 bolts and nuts keeps the straps on tightly.  In the front it is M8 bolts and large washers.

You can do things like this fairly cheap.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Great thanks!  :thumleft:

Offline blauth

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2017, 07:05:49 pm »
What gearing are you running on your DRZ. My current setup is 15/44 but I'm sure it would be better at 15/40. Sure, will suck big time on the technical stuff in first but cruising will be at much lower RPM. Currently it pulls this gearing in top gear with lots of power to spare.

Offline Hankeeb

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2017, 09:36:31 pm »
What gearing are you running on your DRZ. My current setup is 15/44 but I'm sure it would be better at 15/40. Sure, will suck big time on the technical stuff in first but cruising will be at much lower RPM. Currently it pulls this gearing in top gear with lots of power to spare.
I am running stock gearing on my bike.  It is a pretty happy medium between going off-road technical riding and on-road commuting.

When I washed the bike the other day I found a stiff link.  Guess I will have to swop out my chain and sprockets soon.  Maybe I will change the gearing then and give something else a try.

Offline blauth

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2017, 07:55:35 am »
I am running stock gearing on my bike.  It is a pretty happy medium between going off-road technical riding and on-road commuting.

When I washed the bike the other day I found a stiff link.  Guess I will have to swop out my chain and sprockets soon.  Maybe I will change the gearing then and give something else a try.

Maybe lube your chain. I've stopped using chain wax on my road bikes. I found it was causing my chain to get really stiff. I now just clean my chain regularly and use gear oil to lube it. It's a much happier chain since Although in seriously dusty condition this may not work so well, the oil may just make a grinding paste with all the dust.

Stock gearing on the E is 14/47 so your bike must be screaming at 110km/h.

Offline Hankeeb

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2017, 08:01:55 am »

Maybe lube your chain. I've stopped using chain wax on my road bikes. I found it was causing my chain to get really stiff. I now just clean my chain regularly and use gear oil to lube it. It's a much happier chain since Although in seriously dusty condition this may not work so well, the oil may just make a grinding paste with all the dust.

Stock gearing on the E is 14/47 so your bike must be screaming at 110km/h.
Yeah I was and lube the chain with wax lube about every 3 to 4 weeks and or after every heavy offroad ride.

At 110km/h the bike is pretty high in the revs but can still give some more.

Will see if I can get that link fixed this week.

Offline Hankeeb

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2017, 05:38:24 pm »
So while I had some free time I though about doing some graphics for the DRZ.  Played around with some ideas and ended up with this.

Still have to think what I want to do with the number board panels on the side and headlight shroud.

Offline blauth

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2017, 08:44:00 am »
Does anyone stock these case savers in the Joburg area?

Offline blauth

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2017, 12:09:50 pm »
Took my bike out for a test ride yesterday.

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=210796.0

Jeez, my bike is heavy on fuel though. I get about 15-16km/l if I'm lucky.

Carb settings:
Standard Pilot jet
152 main jet
Needle, third from the top.

The bike runs well on these settings.