My DRZ400E thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hankeeb

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
So for a while now I have been surfing forums online for DRZ400 threads on mods and updates.  Found a few with some good info and some with nothing really of much help.

I decided I will add to the pool of info by starting a thread on some of the mods that I have done and still planning to do.

My thinking with the DRZ was to have an all rounder bike that I could 1-use for commuting to work and back(5km per day), 2-use as an Adventure bike to still go ride Cederberg, Die Hel, Tankwa and all those beautiful places and 3-use it as a plastic bike to do some local Funduro's.

So about 5 months ago I bought a 2013 model DRZ400E from a Wild Dog, gave it a new air filter, oil filter, oil, sparkplug, clutch cable and rear brake pads.  With the NB maintenance stuff out of the way I set my sights on some mods.

First on the list was the fugly rear light assembly.  I replaced it with a LED brake/running light unit under the rear fender. With this I can just pop off the number plate for Funduro's.

Secondly I replaced the rear indicators with small LED flush mount  units next to the brake light.  I used an inline resistor to fix the hyper flash.  This works great for Funduro's as the are flush and can't break off when you crash.

Third inline was to get remove the stock chain guard on the swing arm.  Makes it easier to clean the chain.

Next up was to replace the stock 7/8th bars with 1 1/8th fat bars from Airtime and also some Airtime standard to fatbar risers.

I also replaced the stock grips with some half waffle grips. (Sorry for the left side skew grip...this thing is a beast to hold on to! lol)

I replaced the clutch and brake levers with some folding shorty levers.  Good for when you crash and also much better for 2 finger use.

While I was busy with the controls I removed the huge mirrors that rattle so much you can about see jack nothing in them with some 2" convex blind spot mirrors.  I made some custom aluminium brackets from 3mm flatbar for them with some 3M VHB to keep them glued on.  The are mounted to the Zeta hand guards with a rubber washer and a set of M3x16 allen cap, M3 oversize flat washer and nyloc nut.  Easy to to fold in behind the hand guard when you go OTBT.

I moved the key assembly to the side of top shock mount.  Gives you more space for the other bits and pieces to come.

I removed the stock front indicators and used some smaller ones I had on the rear.  I placed the front left indicator in one of the open holes of the ignition key assembly.  For the right front indicator I manufactured a matching bracket from 3mm aluminium flatbar.

I mounted a set of LED spots on the stock front indicator brackets that I left on after moving the indicators to a higher up location.  I hooked the LED spots directly on the battery with an inline fuse and switch on the handle bar to switch on and off.

The front headlight assembly comes off a KTM 690 Enduro and fits with some tweaking here and there.

The front fender comes off a newer model RMZ450 and is much stiffer than the stock floppy one.

I got a set of case savers to protect the magnesium covers from breaking when you fall over.  I also rounded the back side of the gear lever to prevent a sharp edge from doing more damage.

At the bottom it has a Hyde bash plate to keep the belly safe.

I derusted the exhaust and sent it to Powerkote in Montagu Gardens to ceramic coat the header pipe and rear pipe assembly.  The Cowley slip on was still in good nic.

I have a charge point on the front for those long trips when you need to charge a phone or GPS.  I also use the same charge point to charge the battery.  I bought a float charger from a local supplier and changed the clamps to a cigarette lighter style point.  Now I can but the battery on the float charger without taking covers off to get to the battery or having more plugs and cables on the bike.

Tyres for road and DS use is a set of Michelin T63 90/90R21 in the front and 120/80R18 in the rear with heavy duty tubes + sealant.  For Funduro's I will swop them out with a set of full intermediate knobby's.

I have a slightly lowered seat since I am 1.69m.

Not in the photos are a billet rear rack that I can put on when packing the bike for a longer trip.

**Future Mods**
1.  Larger tank, maybe a 17l or so.  Not to keen on those 27l tanks.
2.  Longer shift lever, struggling to get those boots under the shifter.
3.  Brake rotors with a bit more bite.
4.  Busy designing and manufacturing some DIY Stegspegs.