Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Down with Dibs  (Read 5274 times)

Offline safetysteve

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Down with Dibs
« on: November 30, 2016, 06:05:34 am »
So this "dibs" system and even worse "provisional dibs" system is driving me mad. WTF!!!!!  Money talks and Bullshit Walk's. As they say in Jerry Maguire. "Show me the money" I say down with Dibs !   #Dibs must fall. What does the forum say?

Let's chat about this.

:pot: :xxbah: >:(
Current Lover: BMW GSA 1200 LC
Previous Lovers : BMW GS 1200 ADV, Kawasaki KLR 650, Kawasaki KLE 500, Bashan Explode 250, Honda XL185, Suzuki GSX 400, Honda MBX 50

Offline raphaeltube

Re: Down with Dibs
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 06:27:39 am »
I actually agree.
 - do a poll.

R
I don't want a pickle...
                        -Arlo Guthrie

Offline heavy D

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 07:08:46 am »
Yes agree money talks $$$$$$

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 07:13:02 am »
I feel the seller is free to indicate in his For Sale post that no dibs will be entertained. Dibs has a meaningful place. Let the seller decide.

As an aside, what did you loose out on?  :imaposer:

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 07:14:58 am »
This is nothing different to any other sales situation where you can ask for an 'option' or 'first option' until x date.

It's totally up to the seller to accept or reject this.  Why should dibs on the forum be any different?
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kykdaar

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 07:40:19 am »
So you want an item but are a normal Joe working during the day and not in the habit of carrying R50K around with you every day. You just want a reasonable opportunity to get to view the item, or commit to the item.

Yes, there are some people (invariably) that do not follow through on their commitments and tie you up because of that, but then you can limit the time you give option to someone.

If you want first cash through the door, by all means go for it but then be happy to deal with the scamsters in Scumtree or with the guy that just drove a fair distance racing to get to the bike that you just sold without regard for anyone .

Pros and cons - depends on how you manage it.

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 07:43:28 am »
Agreed,Dibs sucks but at the end of the day it is the sellers call :thumleft:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Eendstop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Too many fools around
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 07:47:47 am »
Agree with KTMKobus & Kykdaar  :thumleft:

Should I  ask for an option of first refusal (aka dibs) and you don't reject it, I will assume you accept it and I have the 'dibs'. If you then sell the item without honouring my option, in my eyes you have no integrity then. You will end up on my 'black list' as a seller. Nothing better than a scammer.
Thought so, tough behind a keyboard, but no balls.......

Offline safetysteve

• Pack Dog
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 07:54:55 am »
I feel the seller is free to indicate in his For Sale post that no dibs will be entertained. Dibs has a meaningful place. Let the seller decide.

Didn't actually lose out on anything but its frustrating to read this dibs or second dibs thing all over threads
Previous Lovers : BMW GS 1200 ADV, Kawasaki KLR 650, Kawasaki KLE 500, Bashan Explode 250, Honda XL185, Suzuki GSX 400, Honda MBX 50

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 07:56:09 am »

Didn't actually lose out on anything but its frustrating to read this dibs or second dibs thing all over threads

So don't read the threads then
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline safetysteve

• Pack Dog
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 07:57:52 am »

So don't read the threads then

That's not really the point I am trying to make.

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 08:00:43 am »
I am for dibs. In my mind that is the buyers way of saying 'hang on,  I am going to grab my purse. Sellers call though.
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Offline Draadwerk

• Grey hound
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 08:05:32 am »
Dibs has a place here. As with many bike things offered for sale, they warrant not only closer inspection, but research before you can buy. Especially so with clothing.

Online Pullaway

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 08:12:09 am »
Agree with KTMKobus & Kykdaar  :thumleft:

Should I  ask for an option of first refusal (aka dibs) and you don't reject it, I will assume you accept it and I have the 'dibs'. If you then sell the item without honouring my option, in my eyes you have no integrity then. You will end up on my 'black list' as a seller. Nothing better than a scammer.
Difficult in real life, if the seller is maybe not sitting in front of his computer all the time. I would rather say if he acknowledge the dibs for a certain time and still sell to someone else, put him on you black list. If the seller do not give you the dibs, like an option in real life, I would just assume he has not been on Wilddogs for a while.
It's better to burn out than to fade away!

Online DavidMorrisXp

• Grey hound
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 08:15:28 am »
I believe Dibs has a place in this forum as it is not Gumtree.  This is a community with in most instances a trust factor.

Nobody under normal circumstances would send a seller on Gumtree money in the hope they will receive the item back in the post but here it is common practice.

As replied in a previous post, if you won't or can't allow "dibs" then put that in your post. 

Just my 2c.
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidMorrisMedia

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 08:43:49 am »
Dibs. We are a Wilddog community. We are here to help each other. So we must learn to take another's word. Will give purpose to the forum. Be nice. Learn to be a gentleman. A true gentleman stand by his word.
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline raphaeltube

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 09:02:40 am »
Fair enough.

After hearing some of the arguments, I chnged my mind.
 -Seller's call.

But I woud encourage sellers to put fairly short time limits on dibs.

-R
I don't want a pickle...
                        -Arlo Guthrie

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 09:08:24 am »
This is nothing different to any other sales situation where you can ask for an 'option' or 'first option' until x date.

It's totally up to the seller to accept or reject this.  Why should dibs on the forum be any different?

Agree.

If you are not going to look at your for sale thread before selling then say so in the advert.

Offline heinzz

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 09:10:05 am »
Dibs. We are a Wilddog community. We are here to help each other. So we must learn to take another's word. Will give purpose to the forum. Be nice. Learn to be a gentleman. A true gentleman stand by his word.

True, but when you call dids you accept the price. No asking " if it is your best price" or shit like that afterwards.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 09:16:53 am »
It works both ways I think.

Sometimes you may be completely interested but just need to check something fits or is the right year etc.  If you ask for time to just check that quick, and the part gets sold out from under you, I think anyone would be a bit miffed.