Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Down with Dibs  (Read 5262 times)

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
Re: Down with Dibs
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 09:23:06 am »
More than once, I see something I will take immediately, but I then also see 2 or 3 dibs on item already. So I walk away.

3 weeks later the guy bumps his thread,item still for sale, then I bought new or somewhere else.

More than one Sale on WD never happen cause dibs ruined it.

If you are after let say a GPS, you do your homework before hand, then start searching. If the sale comes up here, you are suppose to know right there if its a bargain or not.

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2016, 09:24:27 am »
In my mind it is totally up to the seller.

If the seller does not specifically exclude dibs in his advert, it does not mean that dibs will stand.

We need to ask ourselves what a dibs actually means. Is it an unconditional offer to buy the goods for the price advertised?

No it's not, all it is is a request to the seller to hold an advertised item for the person making the dibs, until that person decides if he has the funds available, has time to decide if the specific item is worth the asking price, and decides if he actually wants the advertised item or not.

Clearly a dibs has no legal effect at all. How often do we see "dibs" on a for sale advert, only for the "dibser" to cancel his dibs for whatever reason, in which case the seller has no recourse whatsoever.

If the seller gives any sort of undertaking to the "dibser",whether it is on the advert thread, by PM, or verbally over the phone, that he accepts the dibs and will hold the item for him then that is a different matter entirely, and the seller would be expected to uphold his agreement with the dibser. In the absence of such an undertaking by the seller, there is no agreement and the dibs is meaningless.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2016, 09:26:51 am »
It works both ways I think.

Sometimes you may be completely interested but just need to check something fits or is the right year etc.  If you ask for time to just check that quick, and the part gets sold out from under you, I think anyone would be a bit miffed.

Agree with the "both ways". Nothing like showing away potential buyers just to get dropped by the "dibs" taker and not having any takers anymore for what ever reason.

Totally up to the seller.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2016, 09:30:11 am »
I will in the future use no dibs.  Dibster just fades away after calling it and then your thread is in limbo.

Offline ChrisMann

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Every day above ground is a good day.
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2016, 09:34:06 am »
I will in the future use no dibs.  Dibster just fades away after calling it and then your thread is in limbo.

Dips vir 'n koffie?
Take my advice; I don't use it anyway.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2016, 09:35:22 am »
  and decides if he actually wants the advertised item or not.

What?? So you say the sale must go on hold for the dude to decide if he actually wants it? And while he decides, the buyer with money walks away........

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2016, 09:37:48 am »

What?? So you say the sale must go on hold for the dude to decide if he actually wants it? And while he decides, the buyer with money walks away........

Manic you are misunderstanding my post dude.

That is not what I am saying must happen. I am saying that is what currently does happen.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2016, 09:53:47 am »

Manic you are misunderstanding my post dude.

That is not what I am saying must happen. I am saying that is what currently does happen.

Ok  :thumleft:

And that is WRONG. Reason why dibs must fly out the window  :biggrin:  :thumleft:

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2016, 10:04:50 am »
I like the Dibs idea but it means follow through and buy or let the seller know you're passing it on. Being given a first refusal option on a bike by a WD member this past month has given me time to sort out my finances and hopefully I'll be paying and picking up the new toy in the next week or two. If I did not have that I would not have been able to scheme to get the funds together.

So in my opinion dibs is great, but don't be a dwoos as call dibs then hold the seller on the line.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline hayleyscomet

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Always Keen to Ride
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2016, 10:17:31 am »

Dibs yes

Its not Gumtree

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2016, 10:29:44 am »
I like the Dibs idea but it means follow through and buy or let the seller know you're passing it on. Being given a first refusal option on a bike by a WD member this past month has given me time to sort out my finances and hopefully I'll be paying and picking up the new toy in the next week or two. If I did not have that I would not have been able to scheme to get the funds together.

So in my opinion dibs is great, but don't be a dwoos as call dibs then hold the seller on the line.

I think that about sums it up
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2016, 10:32:43 am »
More than once, I see something I will take immediately, but I then also see 2 or 3 dibs on item already. So I walk away.

3 weeks later the guy bumps his thread,item still for sale, then I bought new or somewhere else.

More than one Sale on WD never happen cause dibs ruined it.

Yip, often also walked away because someone else has dibs first.

The only difference between dibs on the forum and first option on something like gumtree is that other buyers on gumtree can't see how many are interested and if an option has been given to someone.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2016, 10:42:52 am »

I think that about sums it up

On a bike yes, but not on a R500 GPS bracket.

Offline Dirkie GS

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Met gees
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2016, 11:05:10 am »
I feel the seller is free to indicate in his For Sale post that no dibs will be entertained. Dibs has a meaningful place. Let the seller decide.

As an aside, what did you loose out on?  :imaposer:

Didn't actually lose out on anything but its frustrating to read this dibs or second dibs thing all over threads

So don't read the threads then
+1
 :laughing4:

maybe find another forum?
never had a problem with anyone calling dibs on stuff im selling or buying

Just go ride your bike! All will be forgotten :pot:
keep calm and trust in God

Offline volroom

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2016, 11:31:39 am »
if there is not more dibs, and cash is king, then what is three guys make an ETF trying to be the first and the oke is quite happy that he got three times the price he wanted. dibs is practical in this way
2003 R1150GS

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2016, 12:07:35 pm »
The problem is that dibs is not the same as "I'll take it".  Somebody tells me he'll take it, its his.  He can pay later, even after he has received it.  Dibs says I want the 1st option until I release the option.  I've seen "Dibs on behalf of my friend who is not a Wilddog".     

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2016, 12:15:10 pm »
Perhaps the way to do this is to penalise the dibsters if they don't take the item by giving them a negative dibs rating after say 2 non takes.

At least that way the seller will have an idea who is genuine and who not.

Offline Pullaway

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2016, 01:01:18 pm »
Seems like this dibs system will just cause confusion, leave some people feeling wounded, and others shamed on the forum for doing nothing wrong. The mere fact that there is not consensus on the dibs system will make it not work. As far as I know an advertisement is only an invitation to do business, and not an offer, so someone cannot dibs something on your add, and assume he bought it, or even get an option without the seller giving the person first option. Rather communicate, and get an option to purchase - all problems solved!   
It's better to burn out than to fade away!

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2016, 01:52:31 pm »
Seems like this dibs system will just cause confusion, leave some people feeling wounded, and others shamed on the forum for doing nothing wrong. The mere fact that there is not consensus on the dibs system will make it not work. As far as I know an advertisement is only an invitation to do business, and not an offer, so someone cannot dibs something on your add, and assume he bought it, or even get an option without the seller giving the person first option. Rather communicate, and get an option to purchase - all problems solved!

A sensible, and technically correct post. So Piet, jy's nie net 'n mooi gesig nie :lol8:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline blauth

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2016, 09:58:45 pm »
Just cos you called dibs first because you have nothing better to do other than troll the for sale thread, don't immediately think the right of first refusal is automatically yours.

Quite frankly, some buyers are more worthy than others....for instance I'll offer a cash buyer preference over a buyer who has to finance. Dibs means shit. If I am unavailable, tough titties, first oke to contact me and have a conversation where a commitment to view, deposit etc is made get the equivalent of dibs.

Too many tyre kickers....even on wilddogs.